Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks Normski, I find the manual as clear as mud !

I suspect you're correct, mine is one of the very first convertible IS250s.  It has the side indicators in the mirrors, not in the wings, so points to being a facelift IIUC.

I'm on an eighty miles foray into Mid Wales on Friday, all twisty and hilly.  I'll give it a try and report back.

Ebc Redstuff are utter rubbish, sent some pads back which had left the backing. When i enquired what was happening they had lost them.

After a load of emails and calls, offered me new ones which i declined. No refund given then said id run them in wrong.

I would never buy any of there products, or recomend them either. But others will love them so each to your own. 

10 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I'll be driving through Rhayader up to Caersws near Newtown.  I'll give the lakes a wide berth !

Don't forget you can just slide the stick back over to D and return to full auto at any time of your choosing as you drive along.

If you've not been there ... divert off and have a quick detour around some of those reservoirs, they are quite stunning.

Nice part of the world. My best man came from Llandrindod Wells so I used to know that area quite well.

Weirdly, my (then girlfriend ... now wife) hailed from Stepaside (another lovely part of this planet) near Saundersfoot. I must have been keen as thats a 4.5 hour drive from Bournemouth. Most of the run was boring motorway but the bit from other side of Port Talbot (Cross Hands? Red Roses? maybe, recall the name can't place where it was exactly) via Carmarthen to Stepaside was quite an enjoyable stretch. Apart from the time we got snowed in at Easter!! Mind you I was driving a Morris 1000 then!!!

7 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Ebc Redstuff are utter rubbish, sent some pads back which had left the backing. When i enquired what was happening they had lost them.

After a load of emails and calls, offered me new ones which i declined. No refund given then said id run them in wrong.

I would never buy any of there products, or recomend them either. But others will love them so each to your own. 

EBC pads need careful running in - it's part of the curing process. That means not getting them too hot for about 500 miles. A friend of mine put new ones on his MX-5 in the paddock at Donington then went out for a couple of laps - the pads parted company with their backing and he came to the same conclusion as Keith. But if they are run in gently (as all pads should be) they are fine. MX-5 race cars use Yellowstuff and I've used Redstuff in my cars for 15 years or more.

They are much better from cold than they used to be - they changed the formulation about ten years ago. The only problem now is that you can fade them, at least on the IS250, with extreme use - I've had it happen a few times (don't think I've had them fade on the MX-5 (even on race tracks) but that's a much lighter car).

1 hour ago, normski2 said:

Weirdly, my (then girlfriend ... now wife) hailed from Stepaside (another lovely part of this planet) near Saundersfoot. I must have been keen as thats a 4.5 hour drive from Bournemouth. Most of the run was boring motorway but the bit from other side of Port Talbot (Cross Hands? Red Roses? maybe, recall the name can't place where it was exactly) via Carmarthen to Stepaside was quite an enjoyable stretch. Apart from the time we got snowed in at Easter!! Mind you I was driving a Morris 1000 then!!!

Oh normski, you've revived a few great memories there! I was at Manorbier Camp (Artillery) and Penally Camp in 1958, firing anti aircraft guns at targets out over the sea. Tenby and Saundersfoot then became two of my favourite places to visit.  I spent my honeymoon in Saundersfoot and so Pembrokeshire is an all time favourite of mine. 

i recall a super eatery called 'Bon Appetite' probably not there anymore!  I visited Manorbier Camp a few years ago, just to jog the old memory modules!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Oh normski, you've revived a few great memories there! I was at Manorbier Camp (Artillery) and Penally Camp in 1958, firing anti aircraft guns at targets out over the sea. Tenby and Saundersfoot then became two of my favourite places to visit.  I spent my honeymoon in Saundersfoot and so Pembrokeshire is an all time favourite of mine. 

i recall a super eatery called 'Bon Appetite' probably not there anymore!  I visited Manorbier Camp a few years ago, just to jog the old memory modules!

Ah memories eh Geoff! Not what they used to be are they!!

I do recall places like Manorbier ( want to say there was some lily ponds there, but not sure) and Sal actually lived in Kilgetty ... but no one had ever heard of that so Stepaside was used (although that didn't help that much either!!!). Used to go to Pendine ... and drive on the beach ....not quite the same in a 1600E Mk2 Cortina!!! The Green Monster (Art Arfons??)was down there one time when we were down there ...what a beast and what a racket. Then there was Wisemans Bridge, Freshwater, Bosherston (maybe thats where the ponds were) I dunno, it was back around 1974.

Here ya go Steve .... just found this on my 'puter at work. One of the reservoirs near Rhayader.

The one the Top Gear boys winched a Landrover up the face of.

dam.jpg

dam2.jpg

10 hours ago, normski2 said:

Don't forget you can just slide the stick back over to D and return to full auto at any time of your choosing as you drive along.

If you've not been there ... divert off and have a quick detour around some of those reservoirs, they are quite stunning.

Nice part of the world. My best man came from Llandrindod Wells so I used to know that area quite well.

Thanks Normski.

Yes, you've recalled all the place names correctly.  I work in Crosshands and live just 5 miles away between there and Llandeilo.

South West Wales is a beautiful part of the world and we love living here.  That's why I've got a convertible !  We have many days out in the Summer, £30 worth of fuel and £20 for a couple of bar meals makes for a great day out.  Not done it in the Lexus yet, used to have a 9-3 Aero convertible.  Can't wait for some sunshine.

I'll be experimenting with paddles :driving:

Had to postpone the trip to Caersws.  I'm going to collect a guitar amplifier I've bought, the seller called me this morning to say he had 4 inches of snow overnight and it was still falling !  Didn't risk it, even with a snow button.

Mrs ledzep has visions of flamethrowers emerging from the fog lamp housing to melt the snow and ice as we proceed :wacko:

On 01/03/2016 at 7:07 AM, normski2 said:

Yep, I leave mine in Power mode all the time. Just seems to go much better ... No real impact on mpg in all honesty.

It should not have impact on MPG, what does have is planning. If you accelerate then immediately brake and you driving in queueing traffic, then obviously you will use more fuel, but if you just accelerate on the motorway entry or from the traffic lights it doesn't matter how quick you will do it the fuel consumtion is going to be the same (except if there is a wheel spin - obvious waste). As Clarkson says - "the worst enemy of economy are brakes" - the less you use it the better MPG you have.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after filling up a couple of weeks ago I decided to leave my car in the PWR setting for the entire duration...

Lifetime average since purchase - 31.2 mpg

Last tank average - 31.1 mpg

:happy:

I left mine Power on for a while, didn't really notice any difference to the fuel figures.  What I did notice when I switched it off after a few months, it does use more engine braking and tries to gear down to the correct gear, ie on my way to work I have long flowing windy downhill section which I like cruising down with no accelerator input at about 40-50 mph.  When entering the hill I have too brake from 60ish, with the power on, the car gears down to third and i have a jerky ride down the hill until it dicides to change up.  With the Sport off, it stays in 6th and a nice smooth cruise down the hill.

11 hours ago, JamesG said:

I left mine Power on for a while, didn't really notice any difference to the fuel figures.  What I did notice when I switched it off after a few months, it does use more engine braking and tries to gear down to the correct gear, ie on my way to work I have long flowing windy downhill section which I like cruising down with no accelerator input at about 40-50 mph.  When entering the hill I have too brake from 60ish, with the power on, the car gears down to third and i have a jerky ride down the hill until it dicides to change up.  With the Sport off, it stays in 6th and a nice smooth cruise down the hill.

This has been pretty much my experience too.  It's not anywhere near as refined and smooth with PWR engaged - stop start traffic can be a bit grating.  That said, selecting it just before you boot it onto a busy roundabout is brilliant :yes:

Mine is Sept 2009 se-i and I can use the paddles in D. Pull the - paddle I think for a couple of seconds and the current max gear number will appear.

I tend to leave mine in normal because I prefer the smoothness and pop it into pwr for "making progress"

• 3 weeks later...

In my car to use the paddles in D, I first have to drop down a gear using the minus paddle and then I can go up down as I please. Once I select 6th gear and press the accelerator it then goes back into auto again. I found this out by mistake 

Just quick update - I have been driving with PWR-ON on the last 3 tanks (~1000 miles) and have not seen any difference in fuel consumption. Car is more responsive, but in other hand the mode is not as polished as standard one. I would highlight few situations where you DON'T want to be in PWR mode and I suggest switching it off:

• When doing 90MPH on motorway and using Auto pilot - Keeps changing to 5th gear and that obviously hurts fuel economy(whenever it is legal or not that is another question , just something I have noticed). Especially, true in heavy rain or after heavy rain in "Very Wet" conditions even in speeds 70-80MPH.
  • Not good for rolling "without power/acceleration" e.g. what I usually do before traffic lights.. slow down in advance and then just roll to the lights and if lucky don't need to do full stop/start. Which is great for fuel economy. With PWR on that doesn't work as it automatically changes to the lower gears and stops you quicker than usual.
  • Not good in heavy traffic when jumping the lanes. Quite obviously the fuel consumption is already high in such conditions, but PWR just kills it e.g. you jump into the free lane and accelerate, PWR drops the gear and keeps it in low for very long without any reason and then if you need to brake it drops it even further to assist braking.. something you don't want.
  • Sometimes it seems like PWR logic just crashes and it keeps far too low gear without any reason when cruising. Switching to "S" and back to "D" usually helps in decision making (I guess for face-lifted models clicking "+" would do the trick as well). 

Generally, it is great for average driving conditions in city  without excessive speeds as it makes car more responsive and hardly ever increases fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Well thats a good test over a fair few miles. Only thing is you have to reset the button after every stop. I prefer in D mode you can spin the wheels, easy in that.

I know each to there own, Normski uses pwr all the time i believe also.

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Just quick update - I have been driving with PWR-ON on the last 3 tanks (~1000 miles) and have not seen any difference in fuel consumption. Car is more responsive, but in other hand the mode is not as polished as standard one. I would highlight few situations where you DON'T want to be in PWR mode and I suggest switching it off:

• When doing 90MPH on motorway and using Auto pilot - Keeps changing to 5th gear and that obviously hurts fuel economy(whenever it is legal or not that is another question , just something I have noticed). Especially, true in heavy rain or after heavy rain in "Very Wet" conditions even in speeds 70-80MPH.
  • Not good for rolling "without power/acceleration" e.g. what I usually do before traffic lights.. slow down in advance and then just roll to the lights and if lucky don't need to do full stop/start. Which is great for fuel economy. With PWR on that doesn't work as it automatically changes to the lower gears and stops you quicker than usual.
  • Not good in heavy traffic when jumping the lanes. Quite obviously the fuel consumption is already high in such conditions, but PWR just kills it e.g. you jump into the free lane and accelerate, PWR drops the gear and keeps it in low for very long without any reason and then if you need to brake it drops it even further to assist braking.. something you don't want.
  • Sometimes it seems like PWR logic just crashes and it keeps far too low gear without any reason when cruising. Switching to "S" and back to "D" usually helps in decision making (I guess for face-lifted models clicking "+" would do the trick as well). 

Generally, it is great for average driving conditions in city  without excessive speeds as it makes car more responsive and hardly ever increases fuel consumption.

Yep. My car is still in PWR mode since my last post and I noticed and experienced most of your findings. I'll continue to use it as I prefer the added responsiveness and actually welcome the extra engine braking most of the time as I don't think the brakes are that great on these cars, or at least on my car (still on the original discs & pads I reckon).

I'll definitely be switching to normal mode the next time I'm on a very wet motorway though. It came as a bit of a shock to have the gearbox suddenly drop to 5th gear when cruising along at 70MPH.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links