Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus is220d cold starting problems and manifold blockage!

lexy220d

Hi everyone!

I need some help with my lovely Lexus! When the engine is cold it just won't start without Easystart spray it turns over but won't fire up?! I just changed glow plugs, cleaned the intake manifold and Egr but still nothing! And I just ordered 5th injector as well!I can post some pictures of the manifold how dirty it was! Please help! Thanks! 

1 minute ago, lexy220d said:

Hi everyone!

I need some help with my lovely Lexus! When the engine is cold it just won't start without Easystart spray it turns over but won't fire up?! I just changed glow plugs, cleaned the intake manifold and Egr but still nothing! And I just ordered 5th injector as well!I can post some pictures of the manifold how dirty it was! Please help! Thanks! 

20160217_161245.thumb.jpg.99697e8b73fe61

20160217_161337.jpg

20160219_085731.jpg

20160219_085834.jpg

Damn, that manifold is bad.  Funnily enough, I took off my EGR valve a couple of days ago to clean it and had a quick peak inside the intake.  Probably not as bad as yours, but there was definitely a certain amount of sludge.  Perhaps it should be part of the cleaning cycle along with the EGR valve.  Incidentally, in the 5000 miles since I last cleaned my EGR, it had quite a lot of carbon build up, even though I do mostly motorway miles.

As for the cold start, 5th injector won't fix it cause that is used only for DPF regen.

Sounds like not enough fuel is getting in.  Have you checked for leaks?  Also, does it start after you prime the system?

By the way, did you remove the manifold yourself?  Was just wondering how hard it is.

• Like 1

Hi! Yes I did the job myself it took me 3days to clean everything including the intake ports with picking,hoovering,blowing the carbon out as much as I could it quite fiddly job as you have to remove Battery with tray,there is some kind of control modul under the Battery,fuel rail,coolant pipe! Good luck with it if you need any help just let me know! 

That is an insane amount of carbon build up, crazy. Out of interest, how many miles does your car have? And did you re use the gaskets? If mine ever gets fixed I will make it a priority to clean the manifold.

• Like 1

Morning! Around 180000 miles and you can reuse the gaskets because they are metal ones! My advice is to clean it car rans much better! How is your car is the SCV fixed it? I'm going to change my one tomorrow along with the 5th injector and oil,filter! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:

Wow, that is an impressive mileage.  I wonder if anyone has a 220d with a similar or higher mileage?

Really want to have a look inside my intake now.  Mine has got 115,000 miles on it, so I am sure there is some crap in there.  I did try looking with an endoscope when I took my EGR valve off, but the head of the scope wouldn't go round the corner down the EGR hole.

Incidentally, there is another thread on here about carbon buildup on the back of inlet valves.  So, in the interest of that thread, can I assume that the back of your valves was as badly gunked up as the rest of the intake?

• Like 1

Indeed mega miles, but nice to hear it's still going. Thanks for the info on the gaskets. Good luck with the 5th injector etc. Not sure you could see the valves without taking the rocker cover off? Or cam cover some people say. And no, mine still not fixed.

You won't be able to see the top of the valves from the top of the head because the valve train and oil seals will be in the way.

With the inlet manifold off, the back of the valves should be visible in the ports.

• 10 months later...

lexy 220D

I'm sorry for my english. I'd like to do your job on my car. It's very complicated? How many kilometers should do it for you? You have the values in Nm to the nuts? You can publish a guide? You also clean the valves?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/2/2016 at 9:13 AM, lexy220d said:

Hi everyone!

Hi Lexy , can you explain how did you take the intake manifold off? any pictures or instructions that you could do?? 

Many thanks

Hi there! I already sold my Lexus as I had enough of the problems ! Never buy Lexus again that's for sure! If it doesn't start then it's injector problem ....suprise suprise! You need to do leak nack test to find out which one! As for the manifold, everything has to come out from that side like;common rail,battery with trey! 

Good luck with it!

4 hours ago, lexy220d said:

Hi there! I already sold my Lexus as I had enough of the problems ! Never buy Lexus again that's for sure! If it doesn't start then it's injector problem ....suprise suprise! You need to do leak nack test to find out which one! As for the manifold, everything has to come out from that side like;common rail,battery with trey! 

Good luck with it!

That's a real shame. Try a petrol one.

+1 on getting a petrol Lexus.

Please  don't judge the Lexus brand on just owning the DERV version ( biggest mistake Lexus made was putting a D on the boot lid!)

Paul m.

6 minutes ago, Texas said:

+1 on getting a petrol Lexus.

Please  don't judge the Lexus brand on just owning the DERV version ( biggest mistake Lexus made was putting a D on the boot lid!)

Paul m.

I agree. The problems found on the IS220D will be found on any modern diesel. It's to do with all the stuff they put on it to satisfy emissions regulation. Diesel BMWs, Mecrs, Audis etc all face the same problem. I bet not many of them reach 180,000 miles!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 5:08 AM, lexy220d said:

Good luck with it!

Thanks for the answer, did you follow a guide repair? I really need to do it to my car, but don't seem to find a repair guide that shows how to do it and torques especification

On 2/5/2018 at 5:08 AM, lexy220d said:

Good luck with it!

Why do I have to Drain?  Can I pinch the pipes instead of Draining the coolant? My tutorial is basically know what should I be unbolting.

@Coolissimo

I know the coolant is a pain but it's easy and you can reuse it. That's the least of your worries. 

Also, I didn't torque anything. Just take it handy on the common rail. Very exact advice I know, but it has stood well for me for over a year at least. 

On 2/8/2018 at 9:00 PM, Monocle said:

@Coolissimo

I know the coolant is a pain but it's easy and you can reuse it. That's the least of your worries. 

Also, I didn't torque anything. Just take it handy on the common rail. Very exact advice I know, but it has stood well for me for over a year at least. 

Did you only drain the coolant from the radiator? I Don't get it why you need to drain it?  Where does it flow so you need to drain the radiator?

14 hours ago, Coolissimo said:

Did you only drain the coolant from the radiator? I Don't get it why you need to drain it?  Where does it flow so you need to drain the radiator?

You need to drain the reservoir at least as that has to come out

There is a coolant pipe next to the common rail and you need to remove every thing on that site! But if you are worried about the coolant you better not to start this job,because there are bigger  things to worry about then drain the coolant or not to drain! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexy220d said:

There is a coolant pipe next to the common rail and you need to remove every thing on that site! But if you are worried about the coolant you better not to start this job,because there are bigger  things to worry about then drain the coolant or not to drain! 

100% agree!