Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Potential New Owner

Hi all,

My name's Andy and I'm a long-time IS-F admirer. I've been a lurking member of the forum for a while, and I pop in here every now and again to see what's going on. I currently own a very nice, well sorted, manual 'box Imola Red E46 M3 on a 55 plate (Bilstein coilovers, fast road chassis/geo mods, lightweight wheels, big Brembos) but I'm seriously considering getting an IS-F now and I'm just wondering about a couple of things.

I have searched for answers and found some useful info but...

- I'm still not sure at what point in 2010 the facelift occurred?

- Do all facelift cars have DRL's? (as in, is that a good identifier? Looking at cars for sale, that seems not to be the case...?)

I rather like the Mesa Red example at Lexus Manchester (I have a weakness for interesting shades of red), but is it a facelift? My hunch is that it's not, but the only info I can find is that some 10 plates should be facelifts...? I know it's been for sale a while, and as mentioned elsewhere here, it does seem expensive.

I'd like a car with under 50k with LSD at a sensible price, although it doesn't have to be red.

Cheers,

Andy

All facelift models have DRLs. The cars with LSD have a blue bit at the bottom of the steering wheel. Id assume the facelift happened somewhere mid year. 

The one in Cheltenham seems more up your alley. 

11 minutes ago, rayaans said:

All facelift models have DRLs. The cars with LSD have a blue bit at the bottom of the steering wheel. Id assume the facelift happened somewhere mid year. 

The one in Cheltenham seems more up your alley. 

Thanks for the reply, Ryaans.

I'd seen about the blue steering wheel trim but I wasn't sure if that was all facelifts or only certain exterior/interior colours. The DRL info is great, cheers.

The Cheltenham car does look very nice, and I love the colour combo, but such a light coloured interior worries me somewhat with regard to marks and keeping it in good condition. Does the pale leather mark easily?

9 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

My IS250C has Ivory leather, my wife and I always wear clean clothes, so it doesn't mark.

Children may be another matter though.

Hi Steve, thanks for your thoughts.

I always wear clean clothes too by the way! What I meant was that in BMW circles, some of the lighter leather marks really easily, even from wearing jeans on a day to day basis - that's what I was thinking about.

Hi there, mine has the ivory leather - not great for dogs and hence why mine is up for sale as I really dont want to ruin it ( or come back to car to find they ruined) but if you havent got dogs then I had no problems over the last few years.

People say to put a car seat cover over them but really dont see the point as i love the contrast of white leather on blue... but thats me - others swear by black.

As for updates - mine is an update and comes with lsd as standard and an upgraded music interface/sat nav - has dab radio, hdd to record music onto, and a sat nav system not based on a disc. The lsd maybe great but not sure I have ever pushed the car on the public roads where I knew the lsd made a difference.

Hi, I test drove the Mesa red in Manchester and it is a very nice car but it isn't a facelift and doesn't have the LSD as such is overpriced. Manchester were keen to throw in warranties and service packages however so might be worth a haggle. I actually bought one of the 'in between' models, a black 2010 car, blue bottom steering wheel, LSD, cream interior but no DRL's and the older style dash layout. The important thing for me was the LSD, would be nice to have the sport button on the steering wheel but if that's all I can complain about it can't be so bad...

Hi Andy and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

I cant help with your present queries but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

2010 is the pivotal moment for the ISF as the LSD was added, there were other small changes each model year from then on till the end. DRLs were a year later I think. It depends what's important to you.

2 hours ago, stevet said:

The red one at Manchester is one of the pre 2010's. No DRL or LSD and way over priced.

Hi Steve. I'd noticed the lack of DRLs and blue wheel trim but the fact that it's a 10 plate is what was making me wonder. 

1 hour ago, D19AKO said:

Hi there, mine has the ivory leather - not great for dogs and hence why mine is up for sale as I really dont want to ruin it ( or come back to car to find they ruined) but if you havent got dogs then I had no problems over the last few years.

People say to put a car seat cover over them but really dont see the point as i love the contrast of white leather on blue... but thats me - others swear by black.

As for updates - mine is an update and comes with lsd as standard and an upgraded music interface/sat nav - has dab radio, hdd to record music onto, and a sat nav system not based on a disc. The lsd maybe great but not sure I have ever pushed the car on the public roads where I knew the lsd made a difference.

Good info regarding the updates, thanks. We do have dogs but have another car that we use for that.

1 hour ago, DT_Racing said:

Hi, I test drove the Mesa red in Manchester and it is a very nice car but it isn't a facelift and doesn't have the LSD as such is overpriced. Manchester were keen to throw in warranties and service packages however so might be worth a haggle. I actually bought one of the 'in between' models, a black 2010 car, blue bottom steering wheel, LSD, cream interior but no DRL's and the older style dash layout. The important thing for me was the LSD, would be nice to have the sport button on the steering wheel but if that's all I can complain about it can't be so bad...

I've seen yours on here, it's a lovely car. The LSD is the key thing for me too.

57 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Hi Andy and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

I cant help with your present queries but I'm sure someone will be along ASAP.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

Hi Bluesman. I shall have a read of the rules, and thanks for the welcome!

36 minutes ago, MrW said:

2010 is the pivotal moment for the ISF as the LSD was added, there were other small changes each model year from then on till the end. DRLs were a year later I think. It depends what's important to you.

DRLs aren't particularly important to me, I'm just trying to pick up what might or might not indicate a facelift car, which I now have a better understanding of. 

Thanks everyone for the welcome and for help!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coker said:

Thanks for the reply, Ryaans.

I'd seen about the blue steering wheel trim but I wasn't sure if that was all facelifts or only certain exterior/interior colours. The DRL info is great, cheers.

The Cheltenham car does look very nice, and I love the colour combo, but such a light coloured interior worries me somewhat with regard to marks and keeping it in good condition. Does the pale leather mark easily?

My 54 plate RX had beige leather and it wasnt too bad to be honest.

The trick to keeping pale leather unmarked is a good leather cleaner and sealant. Dodo juice do a Leather sealant and cleaner kit (which is awesome BTW) and can be had for around £25. When I say its good, it shifts biro off leather so has absolutely no issues with jean dye transfer.

Id say go for it! Light leather is nowhere near as bad as people make out - all depends on how you care for it. Obviously if you leave it for 4 years with no cleaning it'll look filthy but then the Dodo Juice shifted 10 years of grime on my dad's leather seats so its all good.

19 hours ago, Coker said:

Hi Steve, thanks for your thoughts.

I always wear clean clothes too by the way! What I meant was that in BMW circles, some of the lighter leather marks really easily, even from wearing jeans on a day to day basis - that's what I was thinking about.

Hi Andy,  My comment was tongue in cheek.

I use the Gliptone products for cleaning and conditioning the leather.  The conditioner is a little bit marmite, but I'm comfortable with its aroma.

Welcome Andy, I am sure you will love the car, mine is a 2011, LSD, dab radio with integral hard drive but no DRLs which really does not bother me.

Mine has the white leather, I use Turtle Wax leather cleaner on a regular basis, it seems to work. 

11 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Welcome Andy, I am sure you will love the car, mine is a 2011, LSD, dab radio with integral hard drive but no DRLs which really does not bother me.

Mine has the white leather, I use Turtle Wax leather cleaner on a regular basis, it seems to work. 

Mine is an early 2011 with the lsd and no drls. IIRC the drls came in late 2011 along with the sport button on the steering wheel. 

8 hours ago, MrW said:

Your Imola Red M3 sounds like a nice car too. Good colour for that car.

Cheers, it is a very nice example, drives very well now too:

do2KGz.jpg

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

My 54 plate RX had beige leather and it wasnt too bad to be honest.

The trick to keeping pale leather unmarked is a good leather cleaner and sealant. Dodo juice do a Leather sealant and cleaner kit (which is awesome BTW) and can be had for around £25. When I say its good, it shifts biro off leather so has absolutely no issues with jean dye transfer.

Id say go for it! Light leather is nowhere near as bad as people make out - all depends on how you care for it. Obviously if you leave it for 4 years with no cleaning it'll look filthy but then the Dodo Juice shifted 10 years of grime on my dad's leather seats so its all good.

That's encouraging, I'll look into the Dodo Juice stuff. 

2 hours ago, stevet said:

Use a good leather feed as well after cleaning to keep it soft and supple. Stops all those usual cracks on the driver bolster.

Noted, thanks Steve.

36 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Hi Mark. Good to know the light leather shouldn't put me off. DRLs don't bother me either way, might be nice to have but if they're absent it's not a problem.

2 hours ago, Arqum said:

Rayaan, what would you recommend for black leather, dont want it to crack and i want to keep that matt look i currently have

The same is fine. Dodo Juice leather kit works great on all colour leather. Its cracking stuff, will shift pretty much anything.

You dont need any conditioner for modern leather which is sealed. It has an artificial coating on top which prevents anything getting into the leather. Cracked leather is caused by the leather drying out due to UV and heat. To moisturise the leather you want to hydrate it from the other side. Its not a problem in the UK as the air is pretty humid anyway but if you have a car without a coating you need to regularly apply conditioners.

In modern leather the conditioner is just sitting on top of the coating and attracting dirt and dust.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links