Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX Air Suspension Question

Hello,

My RX300 has air suspension. It also has a Lexus Warranty.

And I love it.

But…

Over the last few days, I’ve noticed it needs to pump-up at the back, when it’s been standing all day or overnight. And it looks lower to.

More so than usual.

I can also hear the pump cutting in occasionally when I am driving.

I guess I’ll need to get it looked at, but I am still curious as to what others might think is the issue.

( I appreciate that remote-by-web diagnostics are not always the way to go, but I always appreciate

the views of others!)

PCM

The easiest way to "see" what's going on is using techstream diag software.

The only thing I can say when my rear left (nearside) strut got really bad is that it "crashed" over every slight bump and pothole and spoiled the usually serene ride.

Once it got really leaky, the pump would not come on often (shuts down to preserve itself and only wakes up after 75miles or 3 drive cycles).

Start looking for a replacement strut on eBay or saving for a new one!

I take it you have no warranty on the RX, Piers?

• Like 1

hi

I have finally got all 4 shocks good on my rx

need to make a fitting from top of front strut to airline going to use push fit connectors good ones are good for 150psi

does anybody happen to know thread size or pitch and tube size not very accurate with tape measure

theres lots on eBay but many different sizes

many thanks

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, PCM said:

Turned out it was a 'punctured bellow'.

Parts £600. All covered under warranty.

:yes:

Just had my 3rd(!) shock/bellows done!

( But at least the excellent Lexus warranty covered it again )

:w00t:

Hi Piers, certainly got your money's worth!

£600 is actually a good price from the dealer, maybe parts have come down in price a little of late?

Timeboy: I think the inner diameter of the air entry port is 8mm, but the tube/"injector" from the air line has a couple of 'o' rings at the bottom to make it airtight. If you pop your one good one out from the other air strut, wrap a sheet of paper around the end of the tube to get the circumference of the tube and mark the paper where it butts up where it starts to wrap over, then unroll it and use your ruler/tape measure to measure between the top edge and your mark, once you know the circumference, you can look up on google to get the calculation to get the diameter using a calculator.

As for the thread on top of the strut that the air tube goes in, I'm rubbish working out thread pitches, too! I'd find a bunch of nuts and try them until you find what fits - if your lucky the nut will be marked so you can look it up on the net or find a bolt that fits the nut as that should have a number like M18 so you can look it up!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...