Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Super Charger/ Turbo Charger

niliano

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Lexus IS200 (pics to follow) and one thing ive noticed, its a bit on the slow side of life.

Now I know the lexus is very comfortable smooth reliable and everything I want in a car, just a bit more grunt would be amazing!

Ive read up and seems to be superchargers are very hard to come by and there is a turbo kit for about 2k on eBay.

My question is:

Which one is better? Ive had a turbo charged car before and loved it, however the supercharger noise is amazing.

What else would need to be changed? I know the ECU is a thinking ECU and you cant remap them?? So if fitting a supercharger/turbo what can I do reference ECU or will it do it itself??

Sorry if seems stupid, new to lexus ownership etc.

Many Thanks

Neil

received_10153504778003123.jpeg

received_10153504780943123.jpeg

Hi Neil and welcome to the LOC.

That looks a mean IS already, there are a few members on here who have TC versions so some should chip in with answers for you, there is also a member selling one in the for sale section although this was some weeks ago now.

Must admit I'd love to bolt a charger on my LS.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome and agree your car looks amazing.

The Turbo kit on eBay is from Simon "Squint" Souster, who has developed it over the past couple of years and has gained a good reputation. He has supplied around 20 and fitted most as he only charges £200 to fit it and as it is his design that's a no brainer to get it done by him. I had one fitted last October and it has been great even with just the standard ECU. I also went for the lightened flywheel he does to reduce stress on the engine and help it spool up quicker

Strangely I have just driven back from Jamsport in Northampton today who have fitted a piggyback ECU which they have done to quite a few IS's. That is like driving a different car again and by setting the fuelling and ignition you also have greater reliability as well as even more power. Mine came out at 261 BHP at 9 Psi and 280 ft/lb torque which is as far as you want to go on stock internals.

I have also done a fair bit to the suspension/brakes/wheels as you can see from my profile and would look at that first as running the turbo on an otherwise standard car that has probably done a few miles really isn't a good idea!

Give Simon a call at MJS Services in Ipswich and talk it through with him, he is a really helpful guy to know.

Enjoy your car whatever you choose to do to it.

Turbo install.jpg

Feb 16 (2).jpg

• 1 month later...
On 19 April 2016 at 2:05 PM, MJG said:

You can supercharge the car for like £600 if you DIY

Heres a guide: http://www.**********club.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14565

Great for a list of parts👍🏻

supercharger noise vs turbo spool? Tough call! 

I've had a cooper S (supercharged version) and a golf GTi 1.8t. Supercharger all day, faster spool, good power increase, sounds incredible & usually cheaper 👌

4 hours ago, andyk134 said:

Charger about 210-215 bhp, turbo 240-270 bhp so choice is yours

I think 210 would be a nice power figure to have in these. Obviously 250 is a great figure but I'd rather the 210 and charger whine :D how is yours as a daily? & do you have a build thread? 

I am no mechanic as I freely admit. Turbo/lightened flywheel conversion was supplied and fitted by Simon Souster at MJS in Ipswich. He has developed a kit for the car that gives 230-240bhp. Only criticism of his kit would be that the turbo is a little large for the engine so it doesn't really come on boost fully until about 4000rpm, but bangs for your buck, it is worth it. was £2700 supplied and fitted and set up.

Downside is that the standard ECU is non adjustable so not ideal. I then went to Jamsport in Northampton for a piggyback ECU that they have used on this conversion many times. The read out after set up was 261bhp and 280ft/lb torque at 9psi which it will run at all day with no problems on a standard engine and yes it does fly when you want it to. £680 fitted and rolling road set up.

Using it as a daily driver is no probs at all as driving it normally it behaves very well, it is quicker all the way across the rev range but you get the real kick in the back from around 3500 onwards and you have to be careful in 1st and second you don't hit the limiter which is all to easy to do.

If you are a mechanic and know what you are doing, then probably doing an engine swap to the 2jz 3 litre engine would be cheaper and will give you 210bhp and more tuneability later on. But for me having to have it all done by someone else, this was the way to go. I have also sorted the suspension as you will see from my profile and that does need to be done if you are looking at more power, I wouldn't want to drive mine on oem suspension that's for sure.

IMG-20151007-WA0002 (2) [95644].jpg

Turbo you can get more power if desired

Turbo = Lag

Supercharger easier to fit,decent power return and no lag

Supercharger is also cheaper to DIY build.

You won't find much help doing a DIY turbo.

• Like 1

Join the IS 200 club on Facebook, there are loads of very knowlegeable  and helpful guys on there who can sell you parts and help with the build. Engine will take about 300bhp with standard internals on a turbo against about 210-215 on a charger. I love my turbo, worth every penny.

• 10 months later...
On 27/04/2016 at 7:38 AM, andyk134 said:

I am no mechanic as I freely admit. Turbo/lightened flywheel conversion was supplied and fitted by Simon Souster at MJS in Ipswich. He has developed a kit for the car that gives 230-240bhp. Only criticism of his kit would be that the turbo is a little large for the engine so it doesn't really come on boost fully until about 4000rpm, but bangs for your buck, it is worth it. was £2700 supplied and fitted and set up.

Downside is that the standard ECU is non adjustable so not ideal. I then went to Jamsport in Northampton for a piggyback ECU that they have used on this conversion many times. The read out after set up was 261bhp and 280ft/lb torque at 9psi which it will run at all day with no problems on a standard engine and yes it does fly when you want it to. £680 fitted and rolling road set up.

Using it as a daily driver is no probs at all as driving it normally it behaves very well, it is quicker all the way across the rev range but you get the real kick in the back from around 3500 onwards and you have to be careful in 1st and second you don't hit the limiter which is all to easy to do.

If you are a mechanic and know what you are doing, then probably doing an engine swap to the 2jz 3 litre engine would be cheaper and will give you 210bhp and more tuneability later on. But for me having to have it all done by someone else, this was the way to go. I have also sorted the suspension as you will see from my profile and that does need to be done if you are looking at more power, I wouldn't want to drive mine on oem suspension that's for sure.

IMG-20151007-WA0002 (2) [95644].jpg

Andy I'm interested to see your dyno printout? I recently had mine dynod and got a wee bit different results at 9 psi. All Simon's kit with a lightweight flywheel and the piggyback:)

20170115_144510.jpg

7 hours ago, JohnnyDepp said:

Andy I'm interested to see your dyno printout? I recently had mine dynod and got a wee bit different results at 9 psi. All Simon's kit with a lightweight flywheel and the piggyback:)

20170115_144510.jpg

What results did you get?

my piggyback was fitted and dyno'd by Jamsport. it gave 261bhp at 9 psi and about 280 torque. I have since had it remapped by Simon on the road and it feels better but no dyno. who did yours and what have you got now?

18 hours ago, andyk134 said:

my piggyback was fitted and dyno'd by Jamsport. it gave 261bhp at 9 psi and about 280 torque. I have since had it remapped by Simon on the road and it feels better but no dyno. who did yours and what have you got now?

Well kit has been fitted and mapped by Simon, along with a lightweight flywheel. It did 266 whp/301bhp. Was dynod at Read Performance in New Milton. Was curious what figure you got at the wheels as well, but ideally if you've got a printout that would be awesome ! :D  

On a side note- I saw a "for sale" post for your car a while back. What happened in the end, did you sell or keep? Bit of a loce/hate relationships with these cars, a?  :)

I have not been that happy with the map that Simon did between you and I, although it was done last year when he was vey new to mapping. it misses occasionally and gives a trail of unburnt fuel out the back when I am on full throttle so clearly not set right. It is still up for sale, mainly because I am just not using it and having something a lot cheaper to run makes sense. but never easy selling a modified car, even a Lexus that has been done by professionals rather than a diy job. I thonght 4 grand was a very fair price as I have spend well over 6 on it, but not sold it as yet. I love it and have never had a moments problems but life moves on.

yours has a lot more power than mine then, I had thought about taking it somewhere local to get it properly set up as I think there is a bit more to come from it, the only downside is that it comes in pretty late on, but for the money its good value for sure.

fingers crossed and glad you are enjoying yours