Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picking up a 2011 is 250 next week and lookin at my options regarding the sound system.. what options do I have?looks pretty limited to be fair. 

My car won't have nav which is a shame ( how much is total costs to upgrade to the nav unit? And is it an easy job? 

After market nav or Infact after market anything seems to be out of the equation? 

Is upgrading the speakers with the standard unit even worth it? If so, what size speakers are in the car? 

I've no idea if changing speakers only will accomplish anything, but these are the sizes;

Lexus Premium System (194 watts, 13 speakers); 

• Front doors: 25mm tweeter, 65mm mid-range and a 160mm woofer.
  • Rear doors: Same as front (25/65/160)
  • Rear shelf: 200mm sub-woofer.

Mark Levinson System (300 watts, 14 speakers); 

• 65mm central speaker in dashboard
  • Front doors same 25/65/160mm setup as the std system.
  • Rear doors: 25mm tweeters, 100mm mid-range.
  • Rear shelf: 2 x 65mm satellites, 200mm sub-woofer.

And from what I've read, retro-fitting the OEM nav unit into a non-nav car looks like quite a bit of work, not to mention cost.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Congrats with the car, definitely a good choice.

I have owned 3 of IS250 and have fair experience on different systems available. In fact I was always very happy with standard audio system in IS250. My first one didn't have ML audio and it was brilliant without it, my second one had ML but in fact I have not noticed any difference ... the reason is simple - I always listen mp3 from my phone or from usb-stick. That said you only going to see different when playing good quality source (...and probably some classic music). If you after modern POP ML is not worth upgrading, standard system is plentiful. 

Regarding sat/nav .. it is nice option if it is free, but I wouldn't pay an extra penny for it. The screen is unresponsive, maps are inaccurate and expensive to upgrade. Obviously it is nice not to fiddle with suction cups and extra cables, but functionality is poor. For short trips phones does just well, for longer trip (like to EU etc) Sat/nav is recommended. To be hones I would recommend proper sat/nav even if you car is equipped with sat/nav - again maps can be outdated and latest traffic information is obviously not added. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links