Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car pulls to left when letting go of steering wheel

Hi all, 

My car has a distinct pull to the left when driving on a flat straight road. If I let go of the steering wheel the wheel actually turns about 5 degrees left of centre and the car goes in that direction. I have to hold the steering wheel otherwise it just turns to left and car follows. 

Had an alignment from lexus edinburgh last year and again from another garage yesterday, 

Still pulls and I have to physically hold the steering wheel centre when driving.

Car is 2011 IS F 

Attached  is my alignment spec from yesterday, Is it the caster issue as this can't be adjusted?  If it is what's required?

Any help appreciated greatly.

John

image.jpeg

My understanding is that if the caster isn't symmetrical then the car will always to pull the one side, in your case the left. I'm having my alignment done in the morning so will see how mine compares. Currently it is pulling a bit to either side at times and that has resulted in some low speed kerbing on both sides.  Last mot shows an advisory for inner tyre wear but I believe that is a common issue with our cars. I'll have a word with the mechanic and will show him your printout to see what he thinks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GibletPH said:

My understanding is that if the caster isn't symmetrical then the car will always to pull the one side, in your case the left. I'm having my alignment done in the morning so will see how mine compares. Currently it is pulling a bit to either side at times and that has resulted in some low speed kerbing on both sides.  Last mot shows an advisory for inner tyre wear but I believe that is a common issue with our cars. I'll have a word with the mechanic and will show him your printout to see what he thinks. 

I would really appreciate this and seeing your alignment specs 

This is the printout from the alignment I had done today - 

image.thumb.jpeg.f1b8046a15e8411ed62fbaa

My car was fidgety at low speed and I had a visible amount of inner wear on the front tyres which is why I had the alignment done. It is a lot less fidgety now but my mechanic did say that he wasn't happy with the caster results. 

From a bit of reading it seems the caster issue is a known problem on some cars across the pond. This post reveals a lot more info - http://my.is/forums/f136/ok-all-please-read-f-pulls-right-perfect-alignment-wtf-405088/?nocache=1457790079495#post6109328 but essentially the procedure to rectify the caster issue involves adjusting the subframe and then possibly replacing some brackets depending on the degree of caster that needs adjusting. 

My mechanic seems to think that there are less drastic methods to adjust the caster though. A 20 mile drive shows that the car handles better now. I need to change the front tyres due to the inner wear so once that is done I will discuss the alternative adjustment options with him. 

Thank you for all this info, I think I'll print out all the details and other posts regarding subframe stuff etc and speak with the technicians to see if they think they can handle the task.

if you can keep me posted on any other info or adjustments you're doing that'd be great.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey not yet, been away a few weeks and not had time, will be getting service/mot soon do will be mentioned so they can look/advise 

if you get to it before me, do share

thanks 

Will do, not going to be driving much over the next couple of months and service not due til July so I'll probably get a 4 wheel alignment and the steering electronically centred then as suggested by Stu provided they don't try and rip me off on the alignment!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, SeanIS300h said:

Was this ever resolved? Have similar issue

Marginally better with alignment, but suggest possible caster brackets to fully fix, it’s not that bad for me to do the repair yet! Or I’m just used to it? Hmmm

• 7 months later...

Any update on this? Someone checked and fixed the issue with Lexus? My IS300H has the same problem. Just did an alignment in a normal garage and it stills pull to the left. Will have to service the car in 1 month or so and I'll ask them to check this.

Thanks,

Bruno