dougie175

IS250 F-Sport Build Thread

Recommended Posts

Hello every, I actually joined about 6 years ago when I was considering buying an IS200, however that never came off, so have been a member for a long time but never posted

Last October I purchased myself an IS250 F-Sport, it was a massive investment for myself and bit of a dream car.

Loving owning it and its a pleasure to drive, however the urge to start to tinker with it is becoming too strong so I have ended up signing up here with ideas for projects and do a bit of tinkering with it.

I am a qualified Sprayer and now work as a qualified Vehicle Damage Assessor so tinkering and fiddling with my car is in nature and cant help myself

For anyone who I interested here are a few photos of the car

5970825e24405_2016-03-0516_02_26.jpg.61ce8d2ff1aa168843a07f3a7e3f7548.jpg

597082802fa64_2016-03-0515_49_27.jpg.b225e59c20985d27590e857e046680bc.jpg

 

597082a89c242_2016-03-1215_09_06.jpg.6d2adcfeaf04915e5cb312f3abbc27a0.jpg

597082c2d7e4d_2016-03-1215_08_09.jpg.16f360e1bfd439e7190b88f25ef4f75d.jpg

 

So far I have managed to keep my urge to tinker at bay and only fitted an automatic folding mirror module with lock/unlock of the car and I am in the process of fitting a hardwired Nextbase 402-g dash cam to the car.

But I fancy looking at potential engine mods so will do lots of reading into options!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, lovely car and very few of them around in that colour, absolutely identical to the one I had, I swapped it in for an IS-F in November, keep us updated of any modifications!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Welcome, lovely car and very few of them around in that colour, absolutely identical to the one I had, I swapped it in for an IS-F in November, keep us updated of any modifications!!

Thanks Mark, would love an IS-F but a little out my budget

Yeah love the car, from a looks and comfort point of view its perfect, even the sound system is very good for stock. Also got it for a great price with only 33k on the clock, its immaculate with a full Lexus Service History

I do at time find it a little underpowered, and its all very quiet on the induction side of things for a V6, no and again it would be nice to hear the engine when I ask a bit of it

Have been looking at induction mods but the F-Sport induction seems very expensive if I can even get it in the UK, have emailed Carlisle Lexus parts department to see if they can even get one in this country.

In America they seem to all use the Joe Z intake which claims a 5bhp increase! However cant find these available to the UK market. eBay yields a K&N Typoon option and an AEM induction whilst looks almost identical to the K&N, both of which I have a feeling will sound great but see a reduction in power.

 

Don't think I will be touching the exhaust system as I cant stand the annoying drone from an exhaust

A supercharger could be on the cards if I can find a nice second hand setup

Are there any engine mods these engines respond well to that are worth looking into?

Also if anyone can recommend and induction setup that sounds great and either keeps stock power or maybe even increases it slightly available in the UK it would be really appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean, at times I wished it had a bit more go, I started to look for aftermarket mods but could not find much other than the stuff available in the USA.

A supercharger would be interesting!!!!

Enjoy the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark G said:

I know what you mean, at times I wished it had a bit more go, I started to look for aftermarket mods but could not find much other than the stuff available in the USA.

A supercharger would be interesting!!!!

Enjoy the car.

Yeah its a shame it isn't easier/cheaper to get stuff across the sea to us, there is a nice range of product available to the USA

Yeah a supercharger would make this engine superb, there is a guy on here who stuck 1 in recently not heard much feedback from him but think he's very happy.

Hardest part is finding one second hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, I wish my exhaust tips were still that shiny!

Anyway, welcome aboard. I think as far as intakes are concerned, the Joe Z or the F-Sport one are the way to go. Both will be a bit louder than stock plus a power gain across a wide rev range is pretty-much guaranteed. The only real negative is availability, and in the case of the F-Sport, cost.

In my experience (on previous cars) short-ram style intakes like the Typhoon etc will undoubtedly be louder and more likely to put a grin on your face, especially at high revs, but that usually comes at the expense of some throttle response and low-end torque. In an automatic car that's not something I'm keen to sacrifice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi looking good!

Dont believe the hype on the intakes, they dont give any increase in power whatsoever and even if they do give 5hp on a dino, you won't feel it at all. Go for the Takeda intake, it sounds great!

As for the ECU, its cracked down, no one has unlocked it so no chance of a remap.

The only way to get extra performance is through the Supercharger. I believe Aimgain do a good one for the IS250 but yes, its expensive and you won't find many (if any) second hand.

An exhaust setup may be good if you want some sound too - HKS is a good place to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kodiak Sky said:

Very nice, I wish my exhaust tips were still that shiny!

Anyway, welcome aboard. I think as far as intakes are concerned, the Joe Z or the F-Sport one are the way to go. Both will be a bit louder than stock plus a power gain across a wide rev range is pretty-much guaranteed. The only real negative is availability, and in the case of the F-Sport, cost.

In my experience (on previous cars) short-ram style intakes like the Typhoon etc will undoubtedly be louder and more likely to put a grin on your face, especially at high revs, but that usually comes at the expense of some throttle response and low-end torque. In an automatic car that's not something I'm keen to sacrifice.

 

Thanks, the car was pretty clean when I got it but I have spent my last 2 weekends buffing and detailing the car so its had a good 15 hours or so of work to get it this shiny exhaust tips included!

Is there a way of getting a Joe Z to the UK then at sensible money? I'm struggling to find where people even buy them in the US?

No I don't want to sacrifice throttle response and low end torque for definite, its where I would like to see some increases ideally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Hi looking good!

Dont believe the hype on the intakes, they dont give any increase in power whatsoever and even if they do give 5hp on a dino, you won't feel it at all. Go for the Takeda intake, it sounds great!

As for the ECU, its cracked down, no one has unlocked it so no chance of a remap.

The only way to get extra performance is through the Supercharger. I believe Aimgain do a good one for the IS250 but yes, its expensive and you won't find many (if any) second hand.

An exhaust setup may be good if you want some sound too - HKS is a good place to start.

Thank You!

The Takeda looks good and I am sure it will sound great, but will I not see a reduction in power using an open cone on this engine?

Shame about the ECU not getting cracked, surprised they haven't managed to unlock it in another country where Lexus tuning is common, must be very difficult.

Yeah supercarher would be amazing, but could only justify and to be honest afford to do it as a second hand setup, that way when I come to sell the vehicle I could look to recover my costs, Super chargers seem to loose a lot from brand new to second hand!

As for the exhaust I really cant see me going down that route, unless a very subtle change can be made, I hate the drone of an exhaust, don't get me wrong something nice and loud is great to start with and sounds amazing, but after a week of droning away at 2k 70mph on my way to work I would really regret it.

Would love one of these exhaust systems that has a valve and can go into race mode, or daily mode would be great solution!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

Thank You!

The Takeda looks good and I am sure it will sound great, but will I not see a reduction in power using an open cone on this engine?

Shame about the ECU not getting cracked, surprised they haven't managed to unlock it in another country where Lexus tuning is common, must be very difficult.

Yeah supercarher would be amazing, but could only justify and to be honest afford to do it as a second hand setup, that way when I come to sell the vehicle I could look to recover my costs, Super chargers seem to loose a lot from brand new to second hand!

As for the exhaust I really cant see me going down that route, unless a very subtle change can be made, I hate the drone of an exhaust, don't get me wrong something nice and loud is great to start with and sounds amazing, but after a week of droning away at 2k 70mph on my way to work I would really regret it.

Would love one of these exhaust systems that has a valve and can go into race mode, or daily mode would be great solution!

No reduction in power with the Takeda intake. They even advertise a power "increase" which is not really true. You won't get a power increase but you might "feel" the car breathing better. They can be had on ebay for circa £260 including postage from the States.

You shouldnt get any droning with a good exhaust setup. Magnaflow do a nice exhaust for the IS250 that isn't too loud and doesn't drone at speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kodiak Sky said:

Very nice, I wish my exhaust tips were still that shiny!

Anyway, welcome aboard. I think as far as intakes are concerned, the Joe Z or the F-Sport one are the way to go. Both will be a bit louder than stock plus a power gain across a wide rev range is pretty-much guaranteed. The only real negative is availability, and in the case of the F-Sport, cost.

In my experience (on previous cars) short-ram style intakes like the Typhoon etc will undoubtedly be louder and more likely to put a grin on your face, especially at high revs, but that usually comes at the expense of some throttle response and low-end torque. In an automatic car that's not something I'm keen to sacrifice.

 

Wheel cleaner and wire wool should see those tips back to new - if not use some Autosol metal polish on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Autosol or Sif with a well use green kitchen pad on mine. Wire wool if they've been neglected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, rayaans said:

No reduction in power with the Takeda intake. They even advertise a power "increase" which is not really true. You won't get a power increase but you might "feel" the car breathing better. They can be had on ebay for circa £260 including postage from the States.

You shouldnt get any droning with a good exhaust setup. Magnaflow do a nice exhaust for the IS250 that isn't too loud and doesn't drone at speed.

Does the Takeda increase the induction noise below 3.5k?

I notice this evening when out for a drive even when using the power I'm rarely above 3.5k where the F-sport intake increases the volume, so wouldn't really hear it often. Only time I find myself using much of the revs above 3.5k for any long period is full throttle overtake or something, I would ideally like 2k, nice bit of throttle and a nice induction tone from there right up which I think an open cone Takeda style should achieve?

Do you personally run a Magnaflow setup? Would love to take a listen to a few real life setups before investing in a exhaust to make sure it really is right for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Does the Takeda increase the induction noise below 3.5k?

I notice this evening when out for a drive even when using the power I'm rarely above 3.5k where the F-sport intake increases the volume, so wouldn't really hear it often. Only time I find myself using much of the revs above 3.5k for any long period is full throttle overtake or something, I would ideally like 2k, nice bit of throttle and a nice induction tone from there right up which I think an open cone Takeda style should achieve?

Do you personally run a Magnaflow setup? Would love to take a listen to a few real life setups before investing in a exhaust to make sure it really is right for me

Just search youtube, there are loads on there.

For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWazWUVujy8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikeyv said:

Just search youtube, there are loads on there.

For example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWazWUVujy8

Cheers its very difficult to get a real feel for an exhaust setup through youtube though, nice to be able to hear a setup in real life, the noise it can make is only 1 part finding how loud it is at what rev range at what throttle position to live with day to day is another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Cheers its very difficult to get a real feel for an exhaust setup through youtube though, nice to be able to hear a setup in real life, the noise it can make is only 1 part finding how loud it is at what rev range at what throttle position to live with day to day is another.

Nope but Ive heard one in Canada whilst on holiday on a IS250 and it was a nice exhaust.

Takeda with Magnaflow:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds nice and throaty that, I wonder what its like sat on the motorway, warming up outside at 6am on a winters morning for the neighbours.

Superb sounding setup at full throttle though, even though none of it will actually make the car quicker does put a smile on your face when the car makes all the right noises

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen the price of those magnaflow systems, with import tax and delivery would be ridiculous money for something that only really changes the sound of the car, different league of spending power to myself.

Will look to invest in a cost effective intake system that creates a nice tone first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

Just seen the price of those magnaflow systems, with import tax and delivery would be ridiculous money for something that only really changes the sound of the car, different league of spending power to myself.

Will look to invest in a cost effective intake system that creates a nice tone first.

The takeda intake should give you the noise you are looking for on the inside of the car. On the outside its slightly louder than stock but not much at all.

Exhausts are really for the exterior sound I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rayaans said:

The takeda intake should give you the noise you are looking for on the inside of the car. On the outside its slightly louder than stock but not much at all.

Exhausts are really for the exterior sound I guess.

Yeah couldn't care less how it sounds to others just how it makes me feel when I put my foot down and puts a smile on my face.

I have read people having engine management issues with the takeda and recommended the aem setup. Also I can get the aem setup on the UK. The takeda is going to work out  £100 more with no option to return if I have engine management issues. 

Is it worth the extra over the aem?

Thanks again everyone for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Yeah couldn't care less how it sounds to others just how it makes me feel when I put my foot down and puts a smile on my face.

I have read people having engine management issues with the takeda and recommended the aem setup. Also I can get the aem setup on the UK. The takeda is going to work out  £100 more with no option to return if I have engine management issues. 

Is it worth the extra over the aem?

Thanks again everyone for the help

From the youtube videos, it appears the AEM doesn't sound that much different to the Takeda so just go for that one. K&N might be another one to look into as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mate, car look great, always liked the Ultra blue.

I got the F-sport induction kit off ebay from a dealer in the states, about £260, they getting rid of the parts, checked the price here, it was over 600. I fitted it, pretty easy, just new filter and filter box bottom with a big hole in it and the steel pipe to cool the air. It looks cool under the cover, and the noise over 3k is definitely grin inducing. Not sure there is any power increase, altho it did seem to pickup a little smoother. Got the Alloy pedals and gear knob at the same time. Beware the US foot rest doesn't fit, typically £100 here tho.

Good luck, enjoy the car.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mbay said:

I put a k&n typhoon in mine recently. Sounds amazing. May be selling it if your interested?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Possibly mate how much are you thinking delivered? I can get K&N gear quite cheap through the trade but may be interested if price is right. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesG said:

Hi Mate, car look great, always liked the Ultra blue.

I got the F-sport induction kit off ebay from a dealer in the states, about £260, they getting rid of the parts, checked the price here, it was over 600. I fitted it, pretty easy, just new filter and filter box bottom with a big hole in it and the steel pipe to cool the air. It looks cool under the cover, and the noise over 3k is definitely grin inducing. Not sure there is any power increase, altho it did seem to pickup a little smoother. Got the Alloy pedals and gear knob at the same time. Beware the US foot rest doesn't fit, typically £100 here tho.

Good luck, enjoy the car.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

Thanks nice advice, the F-Sport induction looks great and will be nice and OEM

I seem to have alloy pedals anyway being an F Sport from factory, any chance you could send a picture of your pedals and gear knob?

Thanks and yeah loving my car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.