Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 F-Sport Build Thread

dougie175

3 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

My IS250C has the auto-fold mirrors.

However, I disabled the function a couple of months ago as when there was a morning frost, the mirrors were stuck solid in the folded in position.  Didn't wish to forcibly fold them outwards for fear of damaging the mechanism.

In Cumbria, you'll probably have more frost than me.  Just so's you know. :smile:

Yeah this is easy to overcome with this module, as there is no risk of anyone hitting my mirrors on my drive I just press unlock first and then lock within 3 seconds and it stops the mirrors folding in but still locks the car.

If you have forgotten to do this and come to it in the morning and can see it is frozen, just do the reverse, press lock and unlock within 3 seconds and the car will unlock but leave the mirrors where they are without folding them out, once mirrors defrosted just press the button to unfold them, no issues with breaking anything then!

That is brilliant, think I will b too scared to attempt it myself, even though I know I can do it but won't attempt it, probably just pay someone to have it done. Pay u to do instead loool:xmas: are their any video on utube on how do it.

You get a complete guide with the module to be fair mate, its just a case of splicing into wires, if you can solder you will be fine with it. Only thing wrong with the guide is some of the colours used on the US/AU cars are different to the UK cars and I had to swap a few of the wires round but its not a problem if you have access to a multimeter

Hardest part is pulling the door card off, the clips are so strong! Worth trying yourself though mate you cant really do a lot wrong, worse thing would be blow a fuse or mess up a bit of wiring but it would be easy enough for someone to just solder a wire back up and fix it for you, the people who sell the kit offer full skype support as well was quite impressed with the service to be honest!

This is part of the guide you get with the module should give you a good idea if you can do it

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi_o9i_0tfLAhUCvBQKHYHABl0QFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.lexusforum.nl%2Ffiledata%2Ffetch%3Fid%3D133633&usg=AFQjCNEOVmznzGJ4B-pph2u5DR6hstmCrw

2 hours ago, dougie175 said:

As much as I'd like to do this to mine, those instructions look terrifying!

Nice to see yours are working though.  Was the wiring of the Nextbase into the mirror 12v supply difficult?  I'm keen to do something similar, and your set up looks impressively unobtrusive.  Bear in mind, I'm as much use a chocolate fireguard when it comes to wiring and soldering...

Wisty ur right instructions look terrifying, but would still give a go if i had time @ patience.loool I don't why they didn't add this function on as on Mercedes-Benz it's standard.they put folding from switch, this couldn't be that hard for them.i was reading from old  question about folding mirrors, did mention that it came as standard on 2010 f sport face-lift.

8 hours ago, Wisty said:

As much as I'd like to do this to mine, those instructions look terrifying!

Nice to see yours are working though.  Was the wiring of the Nextbase into the mirror 12v supply difficult?  I'm keen to do something similar, and your set up looks impressively unobtrusive.  Bear in mind, I'm as much use a chocolate fireguard when it comes to wiring and soldering...

Its as easy as it gets really mate you need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231854630599?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this guy has made a very simple video on how to link into the power supply https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ9emEb6R6w

8 hours ago, ahmedali44 said:

Wisty ur right instructions look terrifying, but would still give a go if i had time @ patience.loool I don't why they didn't add this function on as on Mercedes-Benz it's standard.they put folding from switch, this couldn't be that hard for them.i was reading from old  question about folding mirrors, did mention that it came as standard on 2010 f sport face-lift.

Honestly its not that hard, if you can follow instructions you will be fine.

Yeah it comes as standard on lots of cars, I however doesn't come as standard on the facelift F-Sport as that is what my car is

Dougie, your car is the newer 2nd face-lift circa 2011 which has the more angular bumper, dark headlamps with DRLs, clear indicators on the rear, different wheel design etc. There was an earlier, more subtle face-lift in late '09 which introduced the "L" reversing lights amongst other things. This'll be the one ahmedali44 is referring to.

Along with making the exterior changes for the 2011 model year, Lexus saw fit to remove some equipment that had previously been standard on the earlier cars. ie: auto-folding mirrors & memory seats. I think the Mark Levinson hi-fi & sat-nav became seperate options too at this point, whereas it had been an all-in-one "Multimedia Pack" beforehand.

Anyway, nice work on the mods. Keep the updates coming. :cool:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kodiak Sky said:

Dougie, your car is the newer 2nd face-lift circa 2011 which has the more angular bumper, dark headlamps with DRLs, clear indicators on the rear, different wheel design etc. There was an earlier, more subtle face-lift in late '09 which introduced the "L" reversing lights amongst other things. This'll be the one ahmedali44 is referring to.

Along with making the exterior changes for the 2011 model year, Lexus saw fit to remove some equipment that had previously been standard on the earlier cars. ie: auto-folding mirrors & memory seats. I think the Mark Levinson hi-fi & sat-nav became seperate options too at this point, whereas it had been an all-in-one "Multimedia Pack" beforehand.

Anyway, nice work on the mods. Keep the updates coming. :cool:

Great info that's, didn't realise mine was the 2nd phase on facelift!

No idea why they decided to remove equipment, I have the Sat-nav but don't think I have the Mark Levinson system, still the audio is superb anyway

Well today I did what any normal man does on his day off when he works 6 days a week usually, I went into work!

But this time it was for modding purposes, the mod I have done today is possibly my favourite mod on any vehicle I have owned. It wont be for everyone this mod but that's the beauty of it, if you don't like it you turn it off if you do like it you turn it on!

I fitted a QTP slimline exhaust valve, basically what this does is make a great big hole in your rear section of the exhaust system and makes as much or as little noise as you want...... like I said not for everyone.

After several hours of work it was all welded in place with a nice tidy power feed and switch at the drivers fingertips, quick flick of the switch and the exhaust valve opens up and the last 2 rear silencers are bypassed, press the switch again and the exhaust flap closes and the system is completely stock, refined and no one would ever know.

The inspiration behind this mod was that several times previously I have put fancy stainless systems on cars, some very loud some very subtle but all of which I have eventually regretted because there's a large amount of time I just want to sit in absolute silence or even have the ability to use the power without making lots of noise. However there are also scenarios where I just want to enjoy my car and make lots of noise, this mod wont make my car any quicker but it does put a smile on my face when open the exhaust valve. All in all it is the best of both worlds for me.

Freshly welded valve mount this picture probably does do justice to just how long it took to get these 2 pipes to butt up together so nicely, from the point of taking the mounting kit to actually having it welded in place was about 2 hours

597088b818eb2_2016-03-2612_49_32.jpg.012983485da7253feb7dbc154a7052d4.jpg

Valve mounted

597088c6ba6ad_2016-03-2613_21_01.jpg.d2528b76a7ed27091085b98f329a97e9.jpg

Wide Open

597088d651a1c_2016-03-2613_21_06.jpg.bcc0fa7ddae6323088cb2b62247d0286.jpg

Closed and silent again

597088e441e65_2016-03-2613_21_59.jpg.153efd32384f7d2693dd7df54dbaac98.jpg

59708907a5177_2016-03-2613_22_01.jpg.5fc690300aa49909b1d0cdb9a7ca7e03.jpg

This is the switch to control the valve, it is the only this you can actually see about the entire system, all the wiring is hidden behind the dash from the feeds I have taken, the wiring then going through the floor via a grommet that is already there from factory, hidden underneath the car by all the plastic trims, over and around the back axel then to the valve, so other than this switch which I am looking to an alternative more factory looking version you really cant tell the system is in place

59708916b7759_2016-03-2615_04_54.jpg.9a672f7a23c61a698c9ea5813a93ba0c.jpg

Adjusting the valve, although the switch doesn't look quite factory, you don't actually see it when driving as it is hidden behind the steering wheel, I am looking at a more OEM solution though that looks as though Lexus installed it

59708926d80f1_2016-03-2615_05_15.jpg.03b29889ef153248756b403fdee8a92b.jpg

And the all important part how does it actually sound?

Amazing it actually sounds better than I expected I really didn't know how it would sound and was worried I would have just wasted lots of time and money but it ha an excellent sound to it, also because the valve is adjustable you can actually adjust the volume and even the tone of the exhaust by opening or closing the valve, it isn't just a case of fully open or fully closed you can adjust it to where you want.

There was a couple of lads in the workshop today 2 of which were shaking their heads as I was doing this mod going what are you doing, what is the point in that, but both of them admitted it sounds superb when it was done they were really shocked and how nice it sounds. By the time I was finished installing it they actually got it so was pleased the system didn't make me look a complete numpty..... I'm sure some of you will still think I am for this mod hehe

I haven't managed to do any recording of the sound yet so you can all hear it but I will do in the next couple of weeks, I am also waiting for my sound creator intake to arrive from Lexus which compliment the exhaust system also I think as the exhaust has lots of volume low in the rev range and seems to go quitter at the top end, but then from 3.5k in intake volume really kicks in, so hopefully once the new intake volume is present I will have a sporty great sounding car, that can also be driven day to day silently

Yeah that's how these were originally designed to work as splitters you can get Y splitters and twin valves from 2" up to 4" the problem is the IS250 doesn't have the room to run and additional pair of pipes past the rear silencers.

Also there would be a large amount of extra cost, about double or triple what I paid and the time it took me 5 hours and it would achieve exactly nothing the sound would be identical and to be honest it would just be a mess. I thought long and hard about the best way to achieve it and there isn't really a negative to doing it this way.

There are no exhaust gases going where you wouldn't want them too, no gases can end up in the cabin and the noise placement is ideal

Just got home from dropping an easter egg off to my mum, she lives out in the sticks and there are some lovely long straights to give the car wide open throttle and the noise the system now makes brought a huge smile to my face. I cant get over just how good the system sounds, I wasn't expecting it to work this well, I was expecting to have to start trying to find somewhere to locate another silencer to try and change the tone of the sound but it really isn't required

I had the same worry myself abut heat and soot, was told there would be no issues only problem would be if you leave it open when not moving it may build up some slight soot, but it would be minimal I was told.

The Valve and plate are all stainless and if you look at the pictures after the first 1 you will see its all been sprayed and protected from corrosion

The weld was done by Pete 1 of the guys at work, I can weld but not as well as some of the lads.

If the soot and heat really is an issue it wouldn't be difficult to make a custom pipe which will just bolt on and send the exhaust fumes further backwards and more downwards. but I really don't think it will be an issue, simple enough to fix and change in the future if it is

Look what arrived today!

5970894753a1e_2016-03-3113_44_08.jpg.307416c763c1b6fc2d27d52215dbe99f.jpg

Its a Lexus Sound Creator and fits beautifully and looks the part, anyone looking at the complete induction system would think it is all completely stock unless they know the engine of course!

Close up of the sound creator, don't worry that hose was re-connected straight after this photo!

59708954580a6_2016-03-3113_44_11.jpg.4669e7967b176822fc34f627d0372a41.jpg

Most importantly though how does it sound?

Superb it just emphasises the natural induction noise from the F-Sport style induction setup, if you drive around nice and relaxed everything is nice and quiet just like stock and the reason I wanted the car in the first place.

With the induction setup and exhaust I now have the option of stock volume or nice induction roar at full throttle or I can open the exhaust valve and go full all out loud and boisterous! None of these mods made the car quicker at all, but they don't half put a smile on your face, especially the induction kit.

For anyone thinking of fitting one of these sound creators I can highly recommend it, its a superb alternative to an induction kit, I have no idea how the induction kit sounds on this engine but I can guarantee with the F-Sport intake mod and the sound creator intake it will make you smile and sounds fantastic a worth while mod, not cheap though so be warned!

We need to hear how it sounds now...  You tease us with your words! 

I'm particularly keen on hearing how the induction mods sound as it's something I'd consider doing with mine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wisty said:

We need to hear how it sounds now...  You tease us with your words! 

I'm particularly keen on hearing how the induction mods sound as it's something I'd consider doing with mine.

Yeah apologise not had chance to do a video been up since 7am going on the train and driving back with a new (second hand) car for the Mrs today so haven't had chance to play with mine. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning up her old car and getting it advertised on eBay, but I will get round to recording the induction sounds no problem.

If you want to hear the engine at full throttle but fancy a nice quiet system the rest of the time I can assure you, you will not be disappointed its got an amazing roar to it

I will see if I can get my Mrs to sit in the back tomorrow evening and video my rev counter over my shoulder and you'll get a feel for the sound as I accelerate then.

Its a modest improvement below 3.5k but really opens up and roars above 3.5k

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dougie175 said:

Its a modest improvement below 3.5k but really opens up and roars above 3.5k

Worryingly for my fuel consumption, above 3.5k is one of my favourite places to visit! 

12 minutes ago, Wisty said:

Worryingly for my fuel consumption, above 3.5k is one of my favourite places to visit! 

Since doing sound creator mod I found myself venturing above 3.5k a lot more often I will be honest its extremely addictive. I'm not going to lie this mod will not improve your MPG you will enjoy the high rev range more often, but life is for living, I've worried for too long about MPG, lets face it if fuel is a massive worry the IS250 is probably not the cleverest of moves in the first place. 

To try and explain the noise it makes, its less of the sucking noise you get from an induction kit and more of just a raw engine sound, basically it just sounds like you have a lot of power under the hood.

I know the car is not faster in the slightest however it feels so much quicker and more exciting, when the is250 is silent its misleading how much speed you are building up when everything is so quiet you lose any sense of speed or acceleration

Ok so tried to make a few videos to give you an idea of the sound of the engine now, to be honest these videos don't even come close to doing justice of the noise the car makes when driving, it revs too quickly.

I will get some nice wide open throttle videos this evening though and see if they do the noise justice

Window closed exhaust closed induction noise.mp4

Window down exhaust closed induction noise.mp4

Window down exhaust open and induction noise.mp4

Window closed exhaust open induction noise.mp4

Ok so here is a few videos of different scenarios that should give you a good idea of how the car now sounds with audio mods of, electronic exhaust valve after 1st silencer, F-Sport intake lower box mod and Sound creator intake pipe

Exhaust closed Window closed setting off.mp4

Exhaust open Window open setting off.mp4

Exhaust open Window open setting off 2.mp4

Exhaust closed Window closed accelerating.mp4

Exhaust open window closed accelerating.mp4

• Like 1