Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Factory tint level?

Hi everyone! I want to tint my front windows slightly, but I'm unsure of what the factory tint level is. It's important, because the police rarely interfere unless less than 30% of light comes through. I'm pretty sure, that the IS has about 20/30% tint from factory. Am I wrong?

10 hours ago, DVM said:

Hi everyone! I want to tint my front windows slightly, but I'm unsure of what the factory tint level is. It's important, because the police rarely interfere unless less than 30% of light comes through. I'm pretty sure, that the IS has about 20/30% tint from factory. Am I wrong?

Is doesnt have a tint from factory. Whatever is on there is aftermarket.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

?? mine are tinted?

Usually manufacturers will tint up to the legal maximum, don't do it, you'll look like a chav!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wh05apk said:

?? mine are tinted?

Usually manufacturers will tint up to the legal maximum, don't do it, you'll look like a chav!

Its aftermarket. No IS's have a factory tint option.

Most manufacturer do use 30% tint glass for side windows from factory, looking out at the workshop now the 3 Toyotas (closest thing we have in to a lexus) we have in all appear to have tinted glass from factory

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

Its aftermarket. No IS's have a factory tint option.

Have a closer look at your cars. The windows are slightly tinted, and don't look fully clear. 

3 hours ago, wh05apk said:

?? mine are tinted?

It depends- if I were to use 35% tint, I think it would look alright, no?

I presume you mean 35% ontop of the factory tint which will leave you somewhere around 55-65% tint depending on what the factory tint level actually is on the Lexus.

65% will look nice and subtle, however it is illegal on the front windows, most spots wont touch the front windows because of this.

As your vehicle is white a lower tint will look darker than on a darker coloured car also

1 hour ago, wh05apk said:

you probably have 30% already, so an extra 5% would probably not make any difference to appearance, which is presumably what you are looking for?

No, as in 35% of light coming through!

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

I presume you mean 35% ontop of the factory tint which will leave you somewhere around 55-65% tint depending on what the factory tint level actually is on the Lexus.

65% will look nice and subtle, however it is illegal on the front windows, most spots wont touch the front windows because of this.

As your vehicle is white a lower tint will look darker than on a darker coloured car also

No, 35% of light coming through the windows. I don't mind the fact that it's illegal- very few people get points for it, so I'd rather get that. 
Good point about the colour of the car, by the way!

1 hour ago, Kodiak Sky said:

The rear windows are tinted green on my car, which makes them appear ever so slightly darker. 

My rears let in 20% of light, and I want the front to let in 35%. I think 50% is just too low and doesn't do much.

This is 50% tint on a white lexus, for the front it looks dark enough to me, there is a reason the police don't like dark tints on the front.

Many years ago I bought a car that came with 70% tints on the front so let 30% light through and I didn't notice half of much in my peripheral vision with dark front windows, but its down to your personal choice if you are not concerned with that side of it, whatever you think looks better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYw27expQUA

In my opinion a 50% tint looks nice and dark on a white car

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I presume you mean UV blocker? Its not a "tint" in the lay man's term as in "Blacked out"

No, it's a tint.

I think nearly every new car comes with some type of tint to the glass nowadays and if you phone up one of the replacement glass companies it's not unusual for them to ask you what colour your tint is. 

Go and hold a piece of white A4 paper behind your glass and you'll see the tint clearly enough. 

8 hours ago, dougie175 said:

This is 50% tint on a white lexus, for the front it looks dark enough to me, there is a reason the police don't like dark tints on the front.

Many years ago I bought a car that came with 70% tints on the front so let 30% light through and I didn't notice half of much in my peripheral vision with dark front windows, but its down to your personal choice if you are not concerned with that side of it, whatever you think looks better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYw27expQUA

In my opinion a 50% tint looks nice and dark on a white car

I had the 35% for two weeks, and then I nearly got caught, so I took it off. That said, I don't normally drive in dark areas, so the tint doesn't hurt that much, although I see your point. 

The 50% looks ok, but not really great for the summer? That said, it does look a lot darker on white cars. 

5 hours ago, rayaans said:

I presume you mean UV blocker? Its not a "tint" in the lay man's term as in "Blacked out"

No, I mean tint- that's what they call it, and a UV blocker is entirely different. Tint doesn't have to be blacked out- it has different levels, as you probably know.

1 minute ago, DJP said:

I'm struggling with why you'd deliberately put something on the car that's illegal in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here,  presumably style is more important than safety? 

I see a lot of cars with illegal tints and normally then spot other offences,  people seem to think having heavy tints means you can't be seen using hand held mobiles or not wearing seat belts,  if I spot this I'm sure plod do as well,  why advertise yourself. 

As an ex motorcyclist I am aware how important visibility is,  and tinted windows only make it worse,  that is why there is a maximum level. 

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

I don't think you have said why exactly you want to make the screen darker, is it because you want to lessen the UV?  is it because you want the glass to act more as a sunshade? do naughty things without being seen? make a rare car even rarer, as you won't see any others as they go by? or just to make a name for yourself as the local prat, with a smart expensive motor? If it's the latter, then I feel that you'd be more suited to a BMW or a Benz. You have a nice motor, expensive and rare, don't ruin it, enjoy it.

Here, in the south of Europe, where the sun and UV is stronger, the drivers' generally wear sunglasses to good affect, as indeed I do. They come in various shades and colours and I can still say to my wife, on the rare occasion, " hey!, is that one of us up ahead?" Each to their own I suppose.

Best wishes.

Michael.

9 hours ago, DJP said:

I'm struggling with why you'd deliberately put something on the car at a level that's illegal in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly because I like the style of it as well as less heat when it's sunny. Besides, I'm not looking at tints that let in just 5% of light, and 35% is more than enough- try it, and you'll see what I mean!

9 hours ago, wh05apk said:

Same here,  presumably style is more important than safety? 

I see a lot of cars with illegal tints and normally then spot other offences,  people seem to think having heavy tints means you can't be seen using hand held mobiles or not wearing seat belts,  if I spot this I'm sure plod do as well,  why advertise yourself. 

As an ex motorcyclist I am aware how important visibility is,  and tinted windows only make it worse,  that is why there is a maximum level. 

It is indeed. I don't like the look of a car that is partly tinted and partly not. 

And I don't use my phone in the car because I've already been fined for it. As for not wearing a seatbelt, that's not my case- I've been in two car accidents, so I always wear my seatbelt. 

Lastly, I'm a motorcyclist too, so I can definitely tell you that it's never about tints. Never. If people don't look in their mirrors and are not aware of other road users, tints won't make a difference. I've had a tinted car before, and, if anything, it made me use my mirrors even more often! 

Don't get me wrong- I understand that tints have downsides, but it's a matter of what you find to be more important.

4 hours ago, zippyone said:

Hi Dan,

I don't think you have said why exactly you want to make the screen darker, is it because you want to lessen the UV?  is it because you want the glass to act more as a sunshade? do naughty things without being seen? make a rare car even rarer, as you won't see any others as they go by? or just to make a name for yourself as the local prat, with a smart expensive motor? If it's the latter, then I feel that you'd be more suited to a BMW or a Benz. You have a nice motor, expensive and rare, don't ruin it, enjoy it.

Here, in the south of Europe, where the sun and UV is stronger, the drivers' generally wear sunglasses to good affect, as indeed I do. They come in various shades and colours and I can still say to my wife, on the rare occasion, " hey!, is that one of us up ahead?" Each to their own I suppose.

Best wishes.

Michael.

I want to make the car look nicer and I want less heat in the summer. Having tint on the rear windows but nothing in the front looks slightly weird, in my opinion. And I will totally see everything around me, because I've had a tinted car before- you should try it before criticising it, because you wouldn't be saying that if you had tried it. 

I see your points, but the illegality of tint is something that is very debatable. And I absolutely hate it when people start looking at you when stuck in traffic.