Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Factory tint level?

1 hour ago, DVM said:

Mainly because I like the style of it as well as less heat when it's sunny. Besides, I'm not looking at tints that let in just 5% of light, and 35% is more than enough- try it, and you'll see what I mean!

If it's illegal then whether you like the style of it or not is irrelevant, it's illegal. If you want less heat when it's sunny I suggest the climate control Lexus have thoughtfully provided should be more than adequate.

50 minutes ago, DJP said:

If it's illegal then whether you like the style of it or not is irrelevant, it's illegal. If you want less heat when it's sunny I suggest the climate control Lexus have thoughtfully provided should be more than adequate.

That's just hilarious. I'm guessing you don't download pirate music either? And you always wait for the green light to come on before you cross the street? 
Not everything that's illegal is harmful. Some things are made illegal for the benefit of the government and the system. And I always do what I want to do, instead of following the guidelines. It's the only way to live, in my opinion. 

That's just hilarious. I'm guessing you don't download pirate music either? And you always wait for the green light to come on before you cross the street? 

Not everything that's illegal is harmful. Some things are made illegal for the benefit of the government and the system. And I always do what I want to do, instead of following the guidelines. It's the only way to live, in my opinion. 

I don't think I have anything further to add here.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DVM said:

With a philosophy like that, you should drive an Audi or a Beamer.  You'd be in good company there....not here !!!!

• Like 1

I'm confused what "the government" or "the system" has to gain out of making darker front window tint illegal?

After driving a vehicle with darken front windows as mentioned earlier I can understand why they are illegal, I would never forgive myself if something happened and I would always question would it have happened if I didn't have tinted front windows. Its not worth questioning yourself in the event of an accident or attracting unwanted attention but that's just my opinion

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steveledzep said:

With a philosophy like that, you should drive an Audi or a Beamer.  You'd be in good company there....not here !!!!

That's the thing- I don't want to follow a certain brand, and not all BMW drivers are the way they are described to be.

17 hours ago, dougie175 said:

I'm confused what "the government" or "the system" has to gain out of making darker front window tint illegal?

After driving a vehicle with darken front windows as mentioned earlier I can understand why they are illegal, I would never forgive myself if something happened and I would always question would it have happened if I didn't have tinted front windows. Its not worth questioning yourself in the event of an accident or attracting unwanted attention but that's just my opinion

It's simple- having dark windows doesn't allow the police to see inside, and this makes crimes a lot easier, since the driver's face can't be seen in this case. However, they come up with "safety" as a reason. So, what about the other countries in the world where tint is legal? Have they, in your opinion, given up on their people? Obviously not, so it's not a valid argument. 

And yes, there is a certain level of risk, same as there is a certain reward that comes with tinted windows.

Either way, the reason for this post was not to discuss such things, but rather to find out the level of tint the Lexus has from factory. 

59 minutes ago, DVM said:

It's simple- having dark windows doesn't allow the police to see inside, and this makes crimes a lot easier, since the driver's face can't be seen in this case. However, they come up with "safety" as a reason. So, what about the other countries in the world where tint is legal? Have they, in your opinion, given up on their people? Obviously not, so it's not a valid argument. 

And yes, there is a certain level of risk, same as there is a certain reward that comes with tinted windows.

Either way, the reason for this post was not to discuss such things, but rather to find out the level of tint the Lexus has from factory. 

Surely not allowing tints on the front windows from your first point alone is a good reason for them to not be legal? Why would we want to make life harder for the police to catch criminals?

You may find this interesting in relation to other counties rules http://delightandinspire.com/2015/03/18/international-window-tinting-laws-for-cars-driving-around-the-world/ no I do not think other countries do not care for their peoples safety, it would seem due to increased sunlight in some countires they would see health benefits from tint, this however doesn't really apply in the UK

The level of tint on the front windows from factory on my Lexus appears to be around the legal limit to the human eye, traffic officers carry test equipment now in Cumbria so I am sure they will in London so could test it for you

23 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Surely not allowing tints on the front windows from your first point alone is a good reason for them to not be legal? Why would we want to make life harder for the police to catch criminals?

You may find this interesting in relation to other counties rules http://delightandinspire.com/2015/03/18/international-window-tinting-laws-for-cars-driving-around-the-world/ no I do not think other countries do not care for their peoples safety, it would seem due to increased sunlight in some countires they would see health benefits from tint, this however doesn't really apply in the UK

The level of tint on the front windows from factory on my Lexus appears to be around the legal limit to the human eye, traffic officers carry test equipment now in Cumbria so I am sure they will in London so could test it for you

Have you even read what you just wrote? Not allowing tints can NEVER, EVER be a REASON for not allowing them. It is the end result, not a cause. And sometimes you  have to make a sacrifice. I'm no drug dealer, so, in my case, tints will not get in the way of the police. 
Have a look at this (USA):

http://www.solargard.com/window-films/automotive/tint-laws

Besides, I wouldn't call the UK cold in the summer- if anything, it's as sunny and as warm many other countries. 

Anyway, we'll see. Personally, I see very few downsides in having my windows tinted, so I'll probably just go ahead with it. 

Ok you seem to have made your mind up anyway, not quite sure why you are asking what the factory tint level is if you are just going to disregard to law anyway just fit whatever is most aesthetically pleasing to yourself, the factory tint level is basically irrelevant to yourself.

If the police cant see into your vehicle how are they supposed to know if you match description of the person they may be looking for? You haven't really made a single point for a reason why you feel a ban on window tints on the front is logical.

There are several reason why they are illegal but you have stated yourself you have chosen to ignore them

I didn't call the UK cold? The point was the UK weather does not justify or create a need for front window tint unlike why some counties that have far more sunlight may find it is safer to allow tint on the front than not from a health point of view

2 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Ok you seem to have made your mind up anyway, not quite sure why you are asking what the factory tint level is if you are just going to disregard to law anyway just fit whatever is most aesthetically pleasing to yourself, the factory tint level is basically irrelevant to yourself.

If the police cant see into your vehicle how are they supposed to know if you match description of the person they may be looking for? You haven't really made a single point for a reason why you feel a ban on window tints on the front is logical.

There are several reason why they are illegal but you have stated yourself you have chosen to ignore them

I didn't call the UK cold? The point was the UK weather does not justify or create a need for front window tint unlike why some counties that have far more sunlight may find it is safer to allow tint on the front than not from a health point of view

Because I wanted to minimise the risk- they don't always give you points. Sometimes they just make you take the tint off on the spot. 

It's very simple- I'd rather have frequent police checks and have people going round with tint on their windows, than have no tint and less police presence. I don't see the point of saying why it should be allowed, because I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed in the first place. There are many more important safety checks they should consider, such as old tires on vans, and repairs. How many cabs do you see around with a cloud of smoke trailing behind them?! That's what the police should be dealing with, not window tinting, which is a minor issue. 

It's obvious that you are against tint, and I'm not saying we should have people going round with 5% tint on their windows, which looks like this: 88270d1306106994-5-tint-added-img_4490.j

What I'm saying, is that some level should be made legal, such as 35%, as shown below:

37494d1173753073-pictures-my-beast-new-3

You can still see the face of the person, but the car will not get as hot, and it definitely looks a lot nicer this way. 

I'm not against tint on the front windows at all I think it looks really good, far better than without. But I feel the tint limit is very much justified for safety reasons from personal experience.

I also couldn't be bothered with being pulled over and wondering if I might get points or have to remove the tint i.e. back to square 1 anyway.

If I was able to make a decision of front window tints purely based on aesthetics I would be with you, but unfortunately its not as simple as that

I test drove a New car for my Son a few years back. It had tinted (legal levels) rear quarter, and rear screen. The day I was testing it, was grey and overcast, and raining steadily.

Now I found it very difficult to spot cars leaving and joining the lane behind me, irrespective of whether they had any lights on or not. Probably exasperated by the tinting on the internal mirror.

From that day I vowed never to own one like it, as I'd found it very dangerous in my view. Others may not, but for me it is not an option I'd ever consider.

David.

18 hours ago, dougie175 said:

I'm not against tint on the front windows at all I think it looks really good, far better than without. But I feel the tint limit is very much justified for safety reasons from personal experience.

I also couldn't be bothered with being pulled over and wondering if I might get points or have to remove the tint i.e. back to square 1 anyway.

If I was able to make a decision of front window tints purely based on aesthetics I would be with you, but unfortunately its not as simple as that

That's fair enough- makes sense. Some people can be bothered to deal with it, others don't care as much, and that makes perfect sense. 

17 hours ago, 200h said:

70% tint is the legal amount so virtually no tint allowed, don't forget this mean 70% of light can pass through.

here is a link for the rules surrounding window tinting

https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules

I've seen the rules, but it's mainly a question of how they are enforced.

3 hours ago, Deadloak said:

I test drove a New car for my Son a few years back. It had tinted (legal levels) rear quarter, and rear screen. The day I was testing it, was grey and overcast, and raining steadily.

Now I found it very difficult to spot cars leaving and joining the lane behind me, irrespective of whether they had any lights on or not. Probably exasperated by the tinting on the internal mirror.

From that day I vowed never to own one like it, as I'd found it very dangerous in my view. Others may not, but for me it is not an option I'd ever consider.

David.

I've already got the rear tinted- there's no way to go without it, it my opinion. It is absolutely essential. Besides, the rear view mirror is never as important as the sides, in my opinion. 

Of course the sides are important, for safe viewing. But I like to know what is around all the time. Which is basically what for me, buying a car with them would take away. Plus you may as go the whole hog, and convert it to a van, if the rear view mirror is superfluous to you.

David.

6 hours ago, Deadloak said:

Of course the sides are important, for safe viewing. But I like to know what is around all the time. Which is basically what for me, buying a car with them would take away. Plus you may as go the whole hog, and convert it to a van, if the rear view mirror is superfluous to you.

David.

I'm not saying that I never use it- I do, but I would not say that tint on the rear windows deprives you of seeing anything in the rear view mirror- it changes nothing. Personally, I have no problems with it, and I've always had tint on my cars.

• 5 months later...
On 3/21/2016 at 0:58 AM, DVM said:

I'm not saying that I never use it- I do, but I would not say that tint on the rear windows deprives you of seeing anything in the rear view mirror- it changes nothing. Personally, I have no problems with it, and I've always had tint on my cars.

Did you get the fronts tinted in the end?  pics

1 hour ago, tayaste said:

Looks great, makes the sonic titanium colour look brill.

Thanks,  I really wasn't sure on colour but knew I didnt want to maintain black or white be it it looks nice especially in F-Sport white.  I do think I could get away with not cleaning it as often as a black or white car :)  

35 minutes ago, tayaste said:

I picked mine up today, I'll have to get it booked in for tints. Especially after seeing yours. 

Pics please @tayaste.   Regarding the tint I think the rear window might be a bit to dark as seeing out of it through the rear view mirror is quite dark.  No need for the auto dimming feature now lol.   Will see how it goes.  Also other car headlights blead into the lines of the window through the tint.   Maybe that's just how it is but might be asking to change it!!!