Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Headlights

stevebish

Do you use your Automatic Headlights?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your Automatic Headlights?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its interesting that flashing your headlights is the main way in which we all myself included let other drivers out of side roads etc

but actually their use is only supposed to be used to let other drivers know you are in the road and are coming, if they take it to mean they can cross then they are technically in the wrong :duh:

i think its time this was updated and clarrified by the lawmakers.

rant over im off out :blush:

i dont use them as i find them annoying esp when i am going thru a short tunnel or underpass about 50/100m long, by the time they come on ur about 75% of the way thru so they are on for about 1or 2 secs

I realised how 'automatic' they had become recently after my mum had driven the car and switched the lights off - I was confused as to why I had no lights when I switched on, didn't occur to me to turn the switch myself!!

The switch on mine has been set to Auto from the day I got the car - wouldn't dream of using the lights manually. Same goes for the wiper blades on the LS 430, haven't once had to use the manual control - not even sure it has one! :winky:

There was one exception just like IS300KK, I let my friend borrow the car for a day. Picked it up from his that evening and couldn't work out why people kept flashing me as they passed me... how embarrassed was I when I belatedly realised he'd turned the auto-lights off.

I realised how 'automatic' they had become recently after my mum had driven the car and switched the lights off - I was confused as to why I had no lights when I switched on, didn't occur to me to turn the switch myself!!

The switch on mine has been set to Auto from the day I got the car - wouldn't dream of using the lights manually. Same goes for the wiper blades on the LS 430, haven't once had to use the manual control - not even sure it has one! :winky:

There was one exception just like IS300KK, I let my friend borrow the car for a day. Picked it up from his that evening and couldn't work out why people kept flashing me as they passed me... how embarrassed was I when I belatedly realised he'd turned the auto-lights off.

The dealer always switches mine off too, and then takes a few seconds to figure out what's going on :blink:

Couldn't live without em :winky:

• 9 months later...
yes I am lazy and use them :blush:

I don't use them yet as my IS250 car only arrives on 24-Feb. But I can't wait for proper auto lights as I am continually flashed in my current Volvo S60. It has a stupid feature that the instrument lights come on automatically in the dark, but not the driving lights. So the driver thinks the lights are on. :duh:

yes I am lazy and use them :blush:

I don't use them yet as my IS250 car only arrives on 24-Feb. But I can't wait for proper auto lights as I am continually flashed in my current Volvo S60. It has a stupid feature that the instrument lights come on automatically in the dark, but not the driving lights. So the driver thinks the lights are on. :duh:

Love them, used them both on my GS 300 and my GS 430, much improved from the 300 delay was too long too switch on and 300 was 1993 model. We have alot of tunnels in the South of France and you have to switch on lights going through tunnels (its the law here). I also like the differnt levels of brightness as you enter the dark tunnel its drops the brightness in two stages so you are not dazzed on the Satnav and the instrument cluster, small touch but very well thought out

We have alot of tunnels in the South of France and you have to switch on lights going through tunnels (its the law here). I also like the differnt levels of brightness as you enter the dark tunnel its drops the brightness in two stages so you are not dazzed on the Satnav and the instrument cluster, small touch but very well thought out

Wow the cote d'azur. I visited Nice and Monte Carlo about 30 years ago. I am so jealous of you driving a Lexus looking at that beautiful blue sea. Do you need a chauffeur :winky:

We have alot of tunnels in the South of France and you have to switch on lights going through tunnels (its the law here). I also like the differnt levels of brightness as you enter the dark tunnel its drops the brightness in two stages so you are not dazzed on the Satnav and the instrument cluster, small touch but very well thought out

Wow the cote d'azur. I visited Nice and Monte Carlo about 30 years ago. I am so jealous of you driving a Lexus looking at that beautiful blue sea. Do you need a chauffeur :winky:

Bit of a long drive into work if I do, for you :D Sea not so blue today bit rough and we have had alot of snow in the area the last 24 hours :duh:

Bit of a long drive into work if I do, for you :D Sea not so blue today bit rough and we have had alot of snow in the area the last 24 hours :duh:

The rally teams are just setting up in the port area so lots of new snow for the boys to play with :excl::hehe: on the Monte Carlo Rally which starts Friday

Oh well it seemed like a good idea as i wrote it :D

Talking of snow, our weather forecast for the next 4 days is 33c, 35c, 33c and 41c. The aircon in house, office and car will earn their keep. The Australian Open Tennis is being played here in Melbourne this week and next. In this heat the soles of the player's shoes can melt on centre court. That would slow you down a bit :lol:

• 1 year later...
its interesting that flashing your headlights is the main way in which we all myself included let other drivers out of side roads etc

but actually their use is only supposed to be used to let other drivers know you are in the road and are coming, if they take it to mean they can cross then they are technically in the wrong :duh:

i think its time this was updated and clarrified by the lawmakers.

rant over im off out :blush:

Look at points 90 and 91

Highway code

It has actually been clarified dont know the case law though, but if a person pulls out in front of you and there is an accident and they claim that they pulled out because you flashed them it is not a defence and they will be put at fault.

Driving is downto your own judgement and you should make decisions yourself.

Its the same as indicators you should mke sure that some one is actually turning before you pull out just because they have indicator on doesn't mean they are turning, if you pull out when they are indicating and there is an accident it will be your fault not the person indicating.

And yes i use Auto very good idea, who cares what other people think if lights go on for tunnels and bridges, you shouldnt give a shiit what others think, only opinion that matters is other lexus drivers lol and we know why you did it :-)

I leave mine on automatic usually, but there are occasions that I switch them on manually - when visibility is poor but light levels are above the value at which the auto switch triggers.

I have been meaning for some time to check whether the range of delay from reduced light levels to switch-on can be varied. When passing under a relatively narrow bridge the lights switch on and off with sufficient speed to give the impression that I am "flashing" at the vehicle in front. A slightly longer delay might get rid of this effect.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links