Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Using the PWR button

dougie175

Just wondered if anyone had thought about using the PWR button as a feed to a relay to trigger an exhaust valve?

Like most people I love how quiet my Lexus is, its refined and comfortable, but now and again I would like to have a play and enjoy the sound of the engine.

I have previously had exhaust systems on cars and as fun as they are for the first few weeks the drone soon annoys me.

My plan was to find the feed from the power switch send that to a relay to triggers the opening of an exhaust valve like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTP-QTEC60-3-inch-Dual-Electric-Exhaust-Valve-With-Wiring-and-1-Toggle-Switch-/262152618230?hash=item3d098380f6:g:dLYAAOSwlV9WT1ao which would then take the exhaust gases away from a silencer or 2 depending on where it is installed.

The QTP valves seem to be built very well, unlike some of the cheap copies on eBay.

What this would achieve is a standard exhaust system in normal and snow mode, but flick the PWR button and 5 seconds later the valve would open up and part of the exhaust gasses would be re-routed past the silencer, flick the switch back to standard and back to quiet refinement.

modding the exisitng exhast or getting a new?

This project will cost you... better try finding a supercharger? I know it is tempting due to technicality of it and because its DIY thinking you can control the spend.

I have in past played with exhaust and headers. Its not a huge performance difference that one can notice right away. Very subtle. In fact some swear they lost perofrmance.

supercharger or turbo with stand alone fuel management system makes a huge difference. 

or go ISF.

19 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

modding the exisitng exhast or getting a new?

This project will cost you... better try finding a supercharger? I know it is tempting due to technicality of it and because its DIY thinking you can control the spend.

I have in past played with exhaust and headers. Its not a huge performance difference that one can notice right away. Very subtle. In fact some swear they lost perofrmance.

supercharger or turbo with stand alone fuel management system makes a huge difference. 

or go ISF.

I am going to use this to mod the stock exhaust system (because 95% of the time I actually want silence from the exhaust)

Not doing this in anyway for performance gains just purely for the noise on demand, its rare I put my foot down and want to open the car up but it would be nice to have the sound of the exhaust system when I do want it now and again.

I am more than capable of adapting the exhaust system (from a welding point of view and electrical wiring) and have found the ideal QTP valve which I have purchased this evening, getting the valve to work is the simply part. The hardest part will be adapting the signal from the PWR switch to control the valve, but there is always a way and modding wouldn't be fun if it was all easy and simple. I could just use the toggle switch provided with the kit but it doesn't exactly look as if it was designed by Lexus, it would be a much neater solution to use the existing switch to trigger the valve opening.

Its a good idea however i wouldn't bother linking it to the PWR switch, i would have a separate switch that can open and close the valve on demand.

I like leaving in normal mode as that's the smoothest driving experience for me and PWR just seems more eager. Helps when I have a full house in the car.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cracksta said:

Its a good idea however i wouldn't bother linking it to the PWR switch, i would have a separate switch that can open and close the valve on demand.

I like leaving in normal mode as that's the smoothest driving experience for me and PWR just seems more eager. Helps when I have a full house in the car.

Hmmm I was thinking it would be more OEM linking it to the PWR switch, you know like flick the switch and bam the box goes into sports mode and so does the exhaust system, but I guess there would be scenarios where I would like to use the PWR option but not have the exhaust going mental. Will have to look for an OEM fitment for a nice OEM looking rocker switch

The next problem is the stock exhaust is quiet anyway, so your really looking at having it applied to a custom exhaust. After all of this, it might just be better to get a custom exhaust but tune it so it has a nice grunt instead of a 'bee in a can' sound.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The QTP valve will divert the sound away from the stock exhaust to a new custom rear pipe, basically the way I will do it will remove the 2 rear silencers when triggered

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links