Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there,

I'm looking for honest opinion regarding the issue I'm dealing with at the moment.

Long story short my car went in for 10 year service into one of Lexus service centres just last week. I was advised that because of the age and mileage it will be good to service air con at the same time even though it had this kind of service last year, I stupidly agreed. I've had no problem with air-conditioning in the past, I use it all year round. When I brought the car home I've noticed strange sound - on closer inspection it appeared to be coming from one of the air con valves. It was bubbling quite badly. I have contacted the same centre and was told to bring the car back for inspection. The leak has stopped after 2 days and the air con stopped working. The car went back in today and after speaking to service representative - he confirmed that yes the valve is in fact leaking but more importantly there is a bigger leak from the condenser and that it will be £1080 please!

Now my question is how is it possible that perfectly fine working car goes for routine service and suddenly the air-conditioning develops these two issues? I understand my car is far from new but doesn't the service include check for leaks? How can the refrigerant escape after just few days but didn't previously for the whole year?

I am having air con issues with mine and after getting a UV die test performed it was discovered that the condenser has a leak...

I was quoted £250 which includes new condenser with warranty, fitment, air con service and regass..

I wonder if they maybe over pressurised yours revealing a weak spot in the condenser? 

£1080 is way too expensive

• Like 1

The leak could have happened at any time but it seems very coincidental that it has done so within days of a recommended service. If as you say it was working perfectly OK before the service was done it may have something to do with that but proving it is going to be difficult as the condenser could have gone at any time ( it's a bit like checking your tyre pressures and getting a puncture the next day ).

If the A/C service has been done correctly there should have been a print out of the gas levels before and after which should show the system was working before.

I certainly wouldn't accept the quoted repair price for a condenser replacement, as mentioned by Madfish 25% of it is more realistic.

Nearly forgot, welcome to the LOC.

• Like 1

I had my a/c serviced by an independent a while back.

All was well.

But I am confident any issue would have been correctly diagnosed.

Maybe a second opinion would help clarify the issue?

Mine cost £60 inc.

( It could be that the service simply highlighted an existing but yet to materialise issue. maybe the gas was low...?)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links