Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Lexus CT200 Sport does not have a spare wheel

Capitalmagpie

It's a weight issue.  The extra weight of the sunroof means that it precludes having a spare wheel.  In which case you'd get the same that was in the pre 2014  facelift - a can of gunk to seal a puncture and the wherewithal to reinflate the tyre to get you home.  Given pretty much every car has a/c these days why would you want a sun roof?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDS said:

It's a weight issue.  The extra weight of the sunroof means that it precludes having a spare wheel.  In which case you'd get the same that was in the pre 2014  facelift - a can of gunk to seal a puncture and the wherewithal to reinflate the tyre to get you home.  Given pretty much every car has a/c these days why would you want a sun roof?  

I can never understand having a sun-roof with air con either. 

Air con sucks though - I dont really like having it on when I dont need it. Prefer to use the windows. Nothing like fresh air especially when driving through roads with freshly cut fields on each side.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Air con sucks though - I dont really like having it on when I dont need it. Prefer to use the windows. Nothing like fresh air especially when driving through roads with freshly cut fields on each side.

Air conditioning blows though! Air conditioning uses a pollen/wasp/butterfly/fly filter whilst windows and sunroofs don't. Yep! nothing like fresh air and a bit of performance in the summertime which is why I use a motorcycle with a power to weight ratio far superior to any car which I could afford. Air conditioning is one of the advantages of being a cager in the summer.

Getting back to the original post, I think that the sunroof / weight issue is salesroom propaganda.I have read the owners handbook and there is no restriction on the weight of the adults which one is able to transport in the CT200 and that having been established, absolutely no issue at all with the extra few kg of spare wheel.

"Weight issue" is what salesmen tell punters when they want a sale "like now!" and don't wish to faff about ordering a space saver spare on the off-chance that they may make a sale when it eventually turns up. Cynical? me? ...yep! guilty! 

I recall when I ordered my ct200 that it was a factory thing - you specified a sunroof - no spare wheel - you specified a spare wheel - no sun roof.  If you wanted to order with a sun roof and after delivery you want to get the parts and fit a spare wheel no problem.  I'm reckoning that the emissions thing is the point - they've got a setup that gets under a figure with one or the other not both.  The issue about passenger weight is noted but the emissions test is not done in real world ways.  On flat, almost empty tank, warmed up engine, probably an underweight driver, non standard tyre pressures and all the other tricks that are allegedly used but the thing they must do is have a complete car so they don't take out the seats and if it has a sunroof and a spare wheel as standard they would both have to stay present that is unless they can show they only supply as one or the other.  Crazy but there it is. 

Great - thanks

I think it is the weight for the Co2 emissions 

On having a sunroof and aircon - why do soft tops and cars like the SC430 (which I have owned) have aircon.

I think maybe it's called choice, I can chose aircon or if I want to top up my Vitamin D I can open the sun roof.

Simples

15 minutes ago, Dim Tim said:

Didn't some versions of the Honda Goldwing have AC?

HA ha Possibly: with a fully plumbed in bathroom suite too :)

It might help the original poster,  just in case he hasn't found it,  you could add a spare yourself.  If your care has a spare wheel well (I think they all have) in the boot.  Get a spacesaver from a Prius and it will sit in that well.  You will have to leave the underfloor boot tray out or modify it as per another thread on here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, rayaans said:

Couldn't agree more...I have rarely used A/C in any of my vehicles..much prefer to open the rear windows when on the move...

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:45 PM, Wass said:

Yep! nothing like fresh air and a bit of performance in the summertime which is why I use a motorcycle with a power to weight ratio far superior to any car which I could afford. Air conditioning is one of the advantages of being a cager in the summer. 

Yep me too....in summer do more miles on the bike/s than in the cage....

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:08 AM, Dim Tim said:

It might help the original poster,  just in case he hasn't found it,  you could add a spare yourself.  If your care has a spare wheel well (I think they all have) in the boot.  Get a spacesaver from a Prius and it will sit in that well.  You will have to leave the underfloor boot tray out or modify it as per another thread on here.

I have tried my spacesaver from the Prius today...again.. and Tim is correct ..it DOES fit

12 hours ago, paul.r said:

I have tried my spacesaver from the Prius today and it don't fit... too big

That is strange!

I have a 2011 Premier and daughter has a 2013 Sport and we both have a Prius spacesaver.  When you say "too big" do you mean that the diameter is too large or the other measurement  (IE the height if the wheel is laying down on the ground) ?

• Like 1

OK,

I guess the wheel is not too large in diameter but is too tall if laid down flat on the floor.  I guess!

So,  if you leave out the underfloor tray (in the boot) the wheel will fit.  Right?

In which case as per my post on 23rd March "You will have to leave the underfloor boot tray out or modify it as per another thread on here."  That thread was this one CLICK HERE

And this thread has photos of a spacesaver in place.  I didn't bother with the costly fittings to hold all the bits.  CLICK HERE

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:21 AM, Dim Tim said:

That is strange!

I have a 2011 Premier and daughter has a 2013 Sport and we both have a Prius spacesaver.  When you say "too big" do you mean that the diameter is too large or the other measurement  (IE the height if the wheel is laying down on the ground) ?

You are quite correct Tim,i think I was too tired/ lazy that time to do it properly...today I emptied the boot and put the wheel in,plus all the tools needed inside the wheel dish...wrapped so they don't rattle....there was plenty of room left on top of the wheel so I put the rubber mats it came with in,a coupla' cushions to take the extra space up so the top cover didn't sink in if any weight was put on it...and my electric tyre pump too...no need for a tray.. the size of the spacesaver wheel was.....T135/80D16/101M....the wheels on my Prius were 17"...many many thanks for this advice....:smile:  :smile:

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Dim Tim said:

Didn't some versions of the Honda Goldwing have AC?

No,but they do have six air vents.. two at the front, one each side of the dash, and four in the lower fairing..two each side of the dummy fuel tank...which can be adjusted so they blow hot air in cold weather,..ok for warming the hands...when stood... as it only works when the electric cooling fans switch on...:wink3: :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links