Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 sport brake refurb

patrickdug

Hi all,

I know this is a much commented on issue but I have my rear brakes seized due to the lovely slider pins and also one of my fronts is also seized (previous owner didn't care for it very much). What i am trying to find is what others have done to fix this as Lexus stockport have quoted £718 just for parts and other places are quoting 3 weeks to refurb the old ones. I have tried pretty much everything to unseize old ones short of heating them. just wondering if anyone has found someone good or a good company who can refurb quicky and at a reasonable price?

I have been here.

No need to hear and ruin the rubber boot.

get WD40 Penetrant from Halfords. Get Shock and unlock just in case. Get the normal. WD40.

Get a small hammer. 

Now first apray the Penetrant in the needed areas. Then let it dry (penetrant is thin and volatile as compared to normal wd40. thats how it works. it goes in where oil cant.

Then soak the affected area in a bowl with normal wd 40 for few days.

On a Weekend get the small hammer out. Sit on a comfortable chair. Watch a movie or listen to music with headphones. Start hitting the cliper making sure you do not hit corners or areas that can deform or damage calipers. Idea is to let vibration break the rust. Keep in using the penetrant. You will be amazed.

I have tried 4lb hammer and it will not work. Just when i thought it was over, someone told me I am doing it wrong. Big blows dont break the weld or rust. Its the vibrations. 

4 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

I have been here.

No need to hear and ruin the rubber boot.

get WD40 Penetrant from Halfords. Get Shock and unlock just in case. Get the normal. WD40.

Get a small hammer. 

Now first apray the Penetrant in the needed areas. Then let it dry (penetrant is thin and volatile as compared to normal wd40. thats how it works. it goes in where oil cant.

Then soak the affected area in a bowl with normal wd 40 for few days.

On a Weekend get the small hammer out. Sit on a comfortable chair. Watch a movie or listen to music with headphones. Start hitting the cliper making sure you do not hit corners or areas that can deform or damage calipers. Idea is to let vibration break the rust. Keep in using the penetrant. You will be amazed.

I have tried 4lb hammer and it will not work. Just when i thought it was over, someone told me I am doing it wrong. Big blows dont break the weld or rust. Its the vibrations. 

This was pretty much what I did this evening to un-seize one of my rear calipers.

Good bit of penetrating oil and slowly break the corrosion free and it will crack and open again, then lots of grease and it'll be right again

Depends on the warranty fine print. My guess would be no, wear and tear would likely be the get out clause, but why not give it a go, got nothing to lose.

It a common problem on many cars. I've had a Jaguar that had the same issues.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links