Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera fitted today

If anyone with an LS430 is considering fitting a camera (assuming you're not lucky enough to have a factory one) don't even consider it unless you have even more patience than a saint.  When I fitted one to my MK1V it was fairly easy, but finding a way through from the boot to the inside of the cabin on a 430 is a nightmare, mostly due to the various bits and pieces behind the back seat.  Lots of knuckle skin to be removed, followed by a stiff neck and aching back.  Still, the image from a system that only costs £19 is just amazing.

• Like 2

having said how hard it was, if I was to do it again it would be much more straightforward.  I eventually found a way through from the boot light.  Even the guy with the workshop next to mine failed to get through, and he fits meters and signs to taxis so he's used to finding ways through vehicles.  It just made me realise how much is packed into these cars, almost every bit of space is taken up.

9 hours ago, oldhazey said:

Does the 430 not have a drain pipe from the sunroof down the rear pillars like a mk3 then Phil ?

It does but the wires have plugs attached which need a 12mm hole for them to pass through. 

4 hours ago, cruisermark said:

any pics?

Here's a couple.  I put it in the corner of the dash as I did with my last one, simply because there isn't anywhere else suitable.  It's the only place that doesn't obscure vision (although it looks like it in the photo it doesn't) and as it's near the door mirror I naturally glance that way anyway. 

006.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent modification for such a long car...but i would be scared that thieves might mistake it for a sat nav unit and try to steal it. I hope my faith in joe public is wrong.

Great job for £19... Probably the best £19 spent on improving the Lexus ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Tidy job.

Where does the power line run from?  If the battery (fused) how did you route it through the bulkhead? Or is it a USB to the cigar lighter and only used when absolutely necessary?

The wiring runs from the screen at the front all the way down to the centre brake light and then into the boot.  It's then simply joined to the reversing light wire and the other to earth, a very simple system really.  The wires run along inside the various plastic trims above the bottom sills,so that means it's only active when reverse is engaged. I didn't want to run wires along the top due to there being side air curtains.  It means there are 4 wires to run the length of the car, two from the camera to the monitor, and the other two for the monitor's power.  If the monitor was powered separately it would be on all the time, this way it's only on in reverse.  I'm sure I could have explained that more simply!! 

• Like 1

So the Car doesnt have a Canbus system? (cribbed below description from elsewhere) to better understand.

CAN Bus is a multiplexed wiring system used to connect intelligent devices such as Electronic Control Units (ECU's) on vehicles, allowing data to be transferred in a low-cost and reliable manner. CAN means 'Controller Area Network' and was developed by Bosch in 1980. Most new vehicles use this system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to install after-market products without using a CAN Bus Interface.

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

So the Car doesnt have a Canbus system? (cribbed below description from elsewhere) to better understand.

CAN Bus is a multiplexed wiring system used to connect intelligent devices such as Electronic Control Units (ECU's) on vehicles, allowing data to be transferred in a low-cost and reliable manner. CAN means 'Controller Area Network' and was developed by Bosch in 1980. Most new vehicles use this system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to install after-market products without using a CAN Bus Interface.

You may as well be speaking Esperanto there!  I don't know if this is what you're referring to but a friend put one in his 53 reg Vectra but it doesn't produce the voltage needed from the reversing light for it to work.  If that's the case then presumably the Lexus doesn't have it.....whatever it is!!

• Like 2

Thats good - I've bought one of these cheapy reversing cameras.  Wondering why no one puts them at the centre of the parcel shelf.  Perhaps its too distant to see?  Somehow relying on looking forward whilst reversing I may not get my brain around. Thought I'd (eventually) fix my Camera to the tow bar spare Caravan socket holder.  Unlikely to tow a Caravan only a trailer occasionally.

On 24/03/2016 at 10:57 AM, cruisermark said:

any picpic

20 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Thats good - I've bought one of these cheapy reversing cameras.  Wondering why no one puts them at the centre of the parcel shelf.  Perhaps its too distant to see?  Somehow relying on looking forward whilst reversing I may not get my brain around. Thought I'd (eventually) fix my Camera to the tow bar spare Caravan socket holder.  Unlikely to tow a Caravan only a trailer occasionally.

The main advantage of a reversing camera is the peace of mind knowing there isn't a child or animal behind you, I wouldn't generally rely on it for parking, although it helps. On the LS400 there is a perfect spot for fitting the camera between the number plate lights, slightly better than mine. I then found that if you take off the boot top lining and feel around on the left hand side there's a hole in the metal work where you can go up to the parcel shelf to run the wires through, again, more difficult on the 430.  The LS being a long car would necessitate the use of binoculars if you put a monitor on the parcel shelf. For me it just works out right that I engage reverse then have that quick glimpse of no obstructions behind, but I also glimpse at the monitor as I look at the door mirror.

4 hours ago, Clunkfish said:

A very neat job! How did you fix the monitor to the dash? Is it just stuck down?

It has a double sided sticky pad which generally doesn't last when the weather warms up, so it'll need something stronger in due course.

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

It has a double sided sticky pad which generally doesn't last when the weather warms up, so it'll need something stronger in due course.

Many thanks for your response. I used to have, but then removed, a reversing camera kit, partly because it wasn't much good, but partly because I couldn't find a way to mount the monitor. Sticky pads eventually fail, and I didn't want to screw into the dash. If you find a good solution please let me know :smile:

45 minutes ago, Clunkfish said:

Many thanks for your response. I used to have, but then removed, a reversing camera kit, partly because it wasn't much good, but partly because I couldn't find a way to mount the monitor. Sticky pads eventually fail, and I didn't want to screw into the dash. If you find a good solution please let me know :smile:

I know this sounds a bit amateurish but the last time I put a very small blob of clear silicone on the base. It didn't do any damage to the surface and was easily removable.  I must say I can't fault the quality of the images and performance. The next  challenge is to find a place to hardwire a dash cam. 

• 3 years later...
On 3/24/2016 at 7:48 PM, The-Acre said:

If anyone with an LS430 is considering fitting a camera (assuming you're not lucky enough to have a factory one) don't even consider it unless you have even more patience than a saint.  When I fitted one to my MK1V it was fairly easy, but finding a way through from the boot to the inside of the cabin on a 430 is a nightmare, mostly due to the various bits and pieces behind the back seat.  Lots of knuckle skin to be removed, followed by a stiff neck and aching back.  Still, the image from a system that only costs £19 is just amazing.

Hello,

I notice your post regarding the reverse camera you installed on your Ls430 years ago.

I don't have a reverse camera on mine. I'm having trouble routing the camera wire from the boot lid to inside the car. You mentioned it was a pain but you eventually figured it out.

Please could you give me some guidance. How on earth do I get the wire into the car from the boot lid.?

Appreciate your assistance.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links