Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential fix for is220d, white smoke, smells of diesel, poor mpg,

smutts

This really is a problem , that Lexus should be looking into , I am still disconnecting the Battery, putting additive in the tank , it's not perfect , but does cut it down .. a good run also helps . 

If there was a def solution I wouldn't mind paying . The thing is , for me , if I cut the the fuel  completely going into the filter , would that eventually mean I would have to replace it?? 

Mmm ?🤔 

It does pass the mot emissions test ? 2009 model ? 

Vsc light on   P0093 fuel sistem leak detected I changed the injector 2 and 3 problem fixed 

smoke now 

Dpf blocked changed in may 

5 th injector done 2 weeks ago

egr and Emission chamber cleaned 

lambda sensor done  

maf sensor is coming Monday 

the only thing I can do now is to see if the hoses emission  are blocked 

i love the car but is a pain in the ar.. I don't now what I can do anymore  

Lexus know all about it, but as the cars are now out of warranty they wont do anything. This engine is a known problem, I guess thats why we don't see it in any other Lexus. And has anyone actually got Lexus to do a live test? Thats the only thing that found my air fuel ratio sensor to be faulty. And also, have you coded the replacement injectors to the ECU?

On 25/03/2016 at 2:11 PM, smutts said:

Just a potential FIX for you bashing your head against this particular wall,

The problem, a 2008 is220d, 110k miles, with embarrassing quantities of white smoke from exhaust that smells of diesel fuel.

My parents car has been smoking like a pig for the last few months,

Diagnosis....
Garage condemmed the DPF and replaced it..................Still smokes.
Garage says "just keep driving it, the smoke will soon stop"............It didn't
Garage says "er, drive it some more"...................Still smokes.
Garage yanks the injectors and send them off to be tested, by people who are not idiots..................non idiots send them back with the verdict, injectors are perfect...........................Still smokes.
Garage now say they are sure it is the turbo which will need replacing...................At which point I get involved and rescue the car.

No sign of misfire, compressions good, no play on the supposedly fragged turbo, no headgasket doom.

Not trusting the fifth injector, I unclipped the fuel line and plugged it by clipping another injector on it.

Went for a drive, white smoke gone! So confirming fifth injector misbehaviour.

Changed the fifth injector, a total git of a job............Smokes, Argh!

So it is the ECU telling the fifth injector to keep on squirting.

Techstream turns up from ebay, so plug it in.

The dpf pressure values are all over the shop, so tee in a magnehelic guage, which disagrees with the values from the software.

Wiggle wiring, AHA! Gotcha! Pressure values in the software change in sympathy.

So I remade the wiring from dpf sensor to the ECU and then got good values for the dpf sensor pressure.

The ECU "learns" whilst you drive, but the corrupt dpf pressure data had totally confused it. Unplug car battery for ten minutes, reconnect, ECU starts to relearn with good data. Relearn the window winders by driving them for a couple of seconds against their stops at each door switch.

AND THE SMOKE STOPPED!woot.gifbiggthumpup.gif and mpg has gone up from 25mpg imp to 40+mpg imp.

The magnehelic gauge reads 5kPa (20 inches water gauge) when regeneration of the DPF now starts.

So to recap, check the DPF pressure sensor to ECU wiring carefully before spending lots of money on the garage partswap goosechase.

Good luck on what is a fantastic car.

Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!

! I only disconnected the fith injector for long enough for diagnosis, if it is disabled for too long, the DPF will probably clog up! I only disconnected it for 20 miles.

You disconnected only the fuel line.What about the power supply?

I'm not that crazy:)) the last jobs I done to the car was to change the Dpf presure sensor  and I noticed that I don't have problem with the smoke. The smell still comes from exhaust but no smoke. From the last time when I disconnect the Battery I didn't have time for a proper run and now I'm stuck at 18 m/g  maybe that . Saturday I gone take a trip to Tring , will see then what.

Diesel cars reek, the sooner they are off the planet the better. Driving behind a smoking diesel is not good for anyone and walking the footpaths of our cities and towns is obvious from a few of your senses what cars are passing by. As for your 220D, should sell it while it is still drivable is my opinion and look for something else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread!

I have a question about lexus is220d dpf filter regeneration. It is said, that it cleans when running of city on higher speeds.

So, here is a short video of mine lexus is. I was running outside city, at 100 km/h, 4th gear, about 2,3rpm, for 100 km. Almost 70% of the driving time, it was throwing smoke / gas like this: (video below)
Video not superb quality, but at least at the begining of the video, you can see, how much smoke it puts out.. Is it normal??

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Lexus bordeaux (FRANCE) to let them do a diagnostic of my IS220D (poor mpg + smokes)

Result : DPNR need to be changed... Not even sure about this and it cost a lot

My smoking was put down to the air fuel ratio sensor intermittently faulty. It cut power to the MAF sensor and so the ecu injected more fuel, hence the smoke. They only found the problem after an hour and a half live test.

Good luck

they tested the sensor and it was ok, the mecanician told me I have to change the dpnr because my car exhaust is going 500°C after only 10min, which is kinda anormal.....

its a total of 1350€ operation...

• 2 months later...

This a great post. But I am wondering this is suitable for my smoke problem (but it worth to have a try). My IS220d, 168k miles on the clock. It only has the off puff under hard acceleration, especially at the first gear. I have cleaned the EGR valve in a garage, but it does fix the problem. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, rattler1968 said:

I recently put some injector cleaner in the tank , £3 in Morrison's? 

No smoke, apart from a odd puff, for over 1000 miles?? 

Coincidence maybe? 

Thanks, rattler, my problem is only the odd puff, which occurs under hard acceleration at low gear. If I drive softly (not crazy driving), there is no smoke. Another phenomenon that the odd puff is less now maybe due to the warm weather recently.

I have tried some additives, such as AR6400DMAX, but it does not fix the problem while the car is much smoother.