Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential fix for is220d, white smoke, smells of diesel, poor mpg,

smutts

Ok mine was really bad , every 1000 miles, after a Battery disconnecting? I mean you couldn't see anything in the mirrors bad 😒 , nothing was being used , water, oil ect , and apart from that , it ran perfectly ... Right now though since the additive and Battery disconnecting , and a good run .... Nothing 2000 miles and counting . 

Must add though even when it was really bad it passed an MOT ? No problems ... 

On 2017-5-18 at 0:33 PM, rattler1968 said:

Ok mine was really bad , every 1000 miles, after a battery disconnecting? I mean you couldn't see anything in the mirrors bad 😒 , nothing was being used , water, oil ect , and apart from that , it ran perfectly ... Right now though since the additive and battery disconnecting , and a good run .... Nothing 2000 miles and counting . 

Must add though even when it was really bad it passed an MOT ? No problems ... 

Yes, the same to me -- nothing was being used and it ran perfectly except the smoke. Although I have not disconnected the Battery, there is no smoke seen from the mirrors recently, which may be due to the warm weather. If smoke appears next time, I will have a try to disconnect the batter to check this method.

That's great. I am always worried it can not pass an MOT due to the smoke. With your experience, I have confidence^-^

• 9 months later...

Hey anyone here tried the fix for the wiggling wires ? Smutts is not here anymore and its a shame because I really wanted to talk with him

My is220d is still smoking :( and 25mpg at best

• 6 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, hush33 said:

Hey anyone here tried the fix for the wiggling wires ? Smutts is not here anymore and its a shame because I really wanted to talk with him

My is220d is still smoking 😞 and 25mpg at best

My IS220D is still smoking as well (one puff of smoke for one second, then randomly happened again a few seconds later on the motorway).

Around 39 mpg.

Really hope someone can help.

• 2 months later...

I used SMUTTS solution and it worked for a while, probably because I do lots of motorway driving.

I did a Terraclean and that helped for a bit. I've started to use better fuel and that seems to help.

It recently returned (after a fill up of supermarket fuel!) and I couldn't clear the fault long enough to do a burn on the motorway. So this time I decided bite the bullet and clean out the EGR.

That was the right move. It is the EGR: chock full of carbon soot. It is easy to clean out; it took me 2 hours.

Before the clean, I had intermittent white smoke, and sporadic rattling and vibration in the engine, then LIMP mode (with "Check VSC" and warning lights displayed). After I cleaned it, the car was back up to power and... best of all... I didn't notice the engine.

I used these videos to work out how:

• 1 year later...

Thanks! I also have this problem - 2008 Lexus IS 220D bought in Seyssin, France (near Grenoble). So as I understand it, your fix is to unplug the Battery for 10 minutes to force the ECU to relearn. Is that right?

I'm wondering if that might not fix another nagging problem that nobody at Lexus can solve: I can't unlock all car doors from the driver's side door, nor with the key. I've always suspected this was some sort of software problem. Could this be some system that needs to relearn?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

is220d 2006 150k suffering white smoke stinking of diesel.
First port of call i checked was the pressure differential pipes coming from exhaust to pressure switch.

i removed pipes from switch and could only blow with my mouth down one so other was blocked.

got out my compressor attached fitting and blew high pressure down blocked pipe and cleared blockage.

took terminals off Battery 10 mins and reset ecu.

smoke stopped instantly on start up and was cleared but later on in the day it stated creeping back to the point where i knew i had to look at the 5th injector.

it took a while but i managed to unclip the electric Conection plug to injector.

started it up it put engine management light on but hay presto no smoke at all.

least now i know my main injectors are fine 🥲

getting new 5th injector and try that next.

if it still keeps injecting excess fuel dpf remove and delete not playing with it no more.

anybody know best software to get to code new injector?.

• 1 month later...

57 plate is220d with around 80k having the same white smoke issue, seems to be particularly worse when the weather is cold. 

If going to the shops at night and the engine isn’t up to full temperature, it gives me fear stopping at the lights incase it decides to smoke and I fill everyone’s cars with the smell. 

I have just read through this thread and disconnected the Battery, I’ll post whether it has worked or not!

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi all 

I live in Manchester and am now having issues with the dreaded smoke . It’s a 2009 is220d . It began last year but is now doing it more frequently. Always looking in my mirror with dread I hate this issue . Anyone know of anywhere near me who could solve this pleeeeeeease 

Hi Steven,

When this happens are there any other symptoms like loss of power or dash warning lights?

Favourite is a faulty EGR valve, there are some very good video tutorials on cleaning it and replacement if needed is fairly easy to DIY with reasonable parts cost. 

No mate no lights power I would say could be better tho sluggish all the time not like when I bought it 5 year ago . I’ve got an engine carbon clean booked for Friday let’s hope this helps