Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED headslights

Question, why do you want to switch to LED lights?

HIDs are generally superior to LED lights, ie: brighter. Plus some cars have the HID ballast built in the headlight so it may be difficult to bypass this (Not sure about the IS300h).

afaik some is300`s have LED  headlights. UK market spec is HID.  If you could source two complete lamps then it would probably be possible to swap them.  Why bother though? I doubt you would see any increase in light may even be less. 

Ed:unsure:

4 hours ago, Venator said:

Question, why do you want to switch to LED lights?

HIDs are generally superior to LED lights, ie: brighter. Plus some cars have the HID ballast built in the headlight so it may be difficult to bypass this (Not sure about the IS300h).

I call BS. Every car I have been in with LED headlights has been awesome to the point of people moving out of your lane on motorways at night almost immediately 

LEDs on my RX, on the NX, on the RCF and now on the GS are way better at night than the IS headlights 

45 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I call BS. Every car I have been in with LED headlights has been awesome to the point of people moving out of your lane on motorways at night almost immediately 

LEDs on my RX, on the NX, on the RCF and now on the GS are way better at night than the IS headlights 

Its because you were going to fast and had the main beam on:yahoo:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/706277-led-vs-hid-headlamps-4.html

Summery assuming its authenticity :- IS Headlights HID 3000 Lumens,  LED 1400 Lumens.

Can you advise the OP on how to convert his IS from HID to LED?

i have to agree with the OP the headlights on the IS in the dark are pretty poor

the ct i had before had better headlights,i find the IS beam length is quiet short

22 minutes ago, 200h said:

i have to agree with the OP the headlights on the IS in the dark are pretty poor

the ct i had before had better headlights,i find the IS beam length is quiet short

The OP didn't cite a reason for wanting to convert to LED headlights.  It sounds like your headlights may not be set up correctly.  Main beam or dipped?

I also agree. The throw isn't great on the IS

I also don't care what the spec sheet says in terms of lumens. LED headlights are awesome. Go down the motorway in the IS at 65mph and watch those dazzling white LEDs from the Audi's, Mercs and Lexus light up the road.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I also agree. The throw isn't great on the IS

I also don't care what the spec sheet says in terms of lumens. LED headlights are awesome. Go down the motorway in the IS at 65mph and watch those dazzling white LEDs from the Audi's, Mercs and Lexus light up the road.

The very latest technology LED matrix lights fitted to the new A4 for example are excellent.  The consensus of opinion comparing the Lexus LED headlights for the IS300h is they are not any better than the standard HID`s.     The beam throw can be adjusted if it is set to low.

1 hour ago, capese21 said:

The very latest technology LED matrix lights fitted to the new A4 for example are excellent.  The consensus of opinion comparing the Lexus LED headlights for the IS300h is they are not any better than the standard HID`s.     The beam throw can be adjusted if it is set to low.

Im not too sure. The ones on my RX are definitely the best Ive had in any car so far. The added bonus that they noticeably swivel is great as well on country roads at night

6 hours ago, 200h said:

Same here, my Audi and Mercs Xenons were much better. Had the IS lights looked at with the first service but they said they are set right.

To me the beam doesn't seem to be long or strong enough. 

Could that be  why you don't need to get them adjusted for Europe?

2 hours ago, crispian said:

Who says they don't need adjusting for Continental driving?  The dipped beam favours the left so would dazzle if driving on the right.

My headlights are better than the xenons on my previous car so maybe why I am happy with them !  

Ed:winkiss:

Who says they don't need adjusting for Continental driving?  The dipped beam favours the left so would dazzle if driving on the right.

My headlights are better than the xenons on my previous car so maybe why I am happy with them !  

Ed:winkiss:

Someone will give the technical reason but it is true the headlights do not need adjustment for European driving. The question has been asked a few times, just wish I could remember the technicalities!

I emailed Lexus and got this response.

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

Lexus vehicles are made to European specification. Your current IS300h comes with a LED front fog lights with cornering light function and any vehicle that has LED or HID lights have a flat beam, which does not require any modification when travelling to Europe.

Having used the car for 3 trips to Europe in the last 4 months, I can confirm that I have had no issues and that they don't seem to dazzle oncoming traffic

• Like 1

My Fsport does not have cornering lights, most don't but does have LED fogs but most are halogens.  I do see that the beem is flat without the kick up to the left which makes sense.

"any vehicle that has LED or HID lights have a flat beam, which does not require any modification when travelling to Europe"  this is wrong though as many cars with HID lights, my previous one included had a L/R switch for Continental driving. All it did was move a plate to mask the left side kick though.

Maybe they refer only to Lexus vehicles?

Ed:yes:

In my opinion the lights on the Lexus IS 300H at night are fine. I have driven many cars with HID's and in the Lexus they are more than acceptable. Perhaps the older folk need to go to the opticians or considering reducing their driving at night :laugh:

We need to compare like with like.. There are many factors that make up a good light and not just whether the "bulb" is LED, HID or even Halogen! I suspect though that overall LED's are better - they should be, the technology is newer and continues to advance at quite a rate.

My take on LED's:

Unlike halogen bulbs, which use a filament that degrades over time, LEDs are simply semiconductors with no wear-and-tear parts. In theory, they should last the lifetime of the car.

LEDs also require less electricity than halogen bulbs, reducing CO2 emissions and drain on the Battery. And the light produced by LEDs is much closer to daylight, making it easier on the eye and reducing glare.

The main disadvantages of LEDs are cost and heat dissipation. Because they don’t produce significant heat, LED headlight lenses are at risk of frosting over in winter – dramatically reducing light output. 

LED headlights can be better than HID`s but it seems that in the case of the  Lexus is300 the HID`s are better. More light (double)output for one.

I read a thread on another Lexus site and they all said the HID option is better as they had compared them. 

Steve44 also started a thread with links to some fairly extensive testing done in the USA which put the HID option ahead of the LED`s.    In Rayanns video the LED lights do look impressive though.

The Matrix lights on the new A4 are superb but they use multiple LED`s.  At least all is300h have HID as standard. Our next door neighbour has a pretty new 3 series which has standard halogens which look like yellow candles! 

The OP wanted to know if he could swap HID for LED?

ED:winkiss:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links