Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

SC430 with PPE Headers

Neil E

For a long time I've put off attempting to fit headers to the SC430 but with some help from PPE Engineering in the US and MIJ in Walsall, the task has now been completed. 

It was a costly exercise but I'm happy to report that there does seem to be a fairly significant power gain.

The original near side header is a direct fit. The offside header has to be modified to avoid the steering shaft of the right hand drive model so PPE shipped the parts and with some considerable effort MIJ were able to fit the nearside and then make up the offside manifold to fit.

PPE1.png.f0c994aa07c2875fd123c5065b269b2WP_20160208_8006.jpg.0c484fe68d65fe184f3IMG_81314.jpg.2cd25ee25b3bc0026f41ba2725IMG_81320.jpg.77592de97d4719c83bb8ffc895IMG_81318.jpg.d2cdcdfc58ca88095d8d79393a

The 4-1 short pipe headers are designed to bolt directly to the cat flanges. PPE tests show a 20 whp gain when combined with a 3rd cat delete and a free flowing exhaust. I won't know until I book a dyno session but the signs are good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's the underside of the car covered.

I thought there might have been a little interest from the 4.3 V8 community in a genuine power upgrade, perhaps most are content with the standard 279-282 and why wouldn't we be? it may even be the first time it's been done in the UK? PPE said they hadn't sold any others and were only aware of one right hand drive GS430 in Australia that has them fitted, all the others are on LHD cars.

Here are a few pictures of the evolution of the rest of the car. I bought it as a project, as the last in the line of Soarers with the intention of making it more 'in tune' with my view of the original spirit of the Soarer. Many, including Top Gear and indeed much of the Soarer community have been critical of the SC430 but I always thought that very few of the detractors looked beyond the 'boat' like styling to appreciate what a clever concept it was. I will admit that I wasn't sure that I would be able to live with it for very long as it really is limited to carrying 2 people in comfort but though I don't think they will ever be loved as the earlier Soarers are, I do think that unlike the SC fans in the States, a lot of people in the UK have overlooked a really good car.

Purchased less than 2 years ago, this is how it looked to begin with.

8mediaG38BYQM0.jpg8mediaU30J1DX3.jpgIMG_8566.jpgIMG_8569.jpgIMG_9596.jpg

It looks very good but there were a good few minor blemishes in the paint work that made it an ideal project car.

• Like 3

And with changes made so far.IMG_81450.jpgIMG_81796.jpgIMG_1352.JPGimg84008.jpg84021.jpgWP_820150527_011.jpgIMG_81808.jpg

MeisterR adjustable coilovers, modest drop, restyled bodykit, Celica style rear spoiler, total respray, drilled and grooved brake discs, 19 inch LM Mesh wheels, staggered fitment 8.5 front,  9.5 rear with Continental 245 35 19 front and 285 30 19 rear, strut brace, up-rated anti-roll bar, up-rated drilled and grooved DBA brakes front and rear.

Alpine 585BT CD/DVD/Iphone head unit with modified Beatsonic interface to integrate with ML amp and Lexus Navigation/steering wheel controls. DLS A5 amplifier powering 2 JL10 3v3 subs in sealed enclosures. rear camera, Bluetooth interface for OBD monitoring on Ipad.

Modified PPE headers, 3rd cat delete, free flow custom exhaust, quad tailpipes (sounds like a V8 but it's not too loud)

• Like 1

Was after a Celica last week.....better to get a spoiler and then add to an SC430!

I guess your comments on drivers' lack of enthusism MIGHT be that most are +40/50? (I can say that-I am too!) So are happy to cruise in comfort.

I was tempted recently, but I'm never sure if I could take to the compact cabin (in relation to an LS 400!)

Nice work though! Does the wheel change/dropping make it a harder ride? It's a big thing to fly around lanes in!

But I'm sure car folk will be envious in the wider world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Was after a Celica last week.....better to get a spoiler and then add to an SC430!

I guess your comments on drivers' lack of enthusism MIGHT be that most are +40/50? (I can say that-I am too!) So are happy to cruise in comfort.

I was tempted recently, but I'm never sure if I could take to the compact cabin (in relation to an LS 400!)

Nice work though! Does the wheel change/dropping make it a harder ride? It's a big thing to fly around lanes in!

But I'm sure car folk will be envious in the wider world.

The Celica spoiler had to be highly modified to fit. It took me ages, longer than the rest of the body kit and in fact, I still have the 'whale tail' first attempt hanging in the garage. 2 owners in the states asked me to make them one but I don't really have the skills to do it economically.

On the matter of age and comfortable cruising, I'm sure you are correct however one of the quickest road going SCs I know of is owned by someone over 70. I'm not quite at retirement age but well on the way. In my experience many of the go faster (my turbo is faster than your V8) brigade on the boards type and banter as if they are 17 but can ride most buses free of charge.

I'm a big fan of the LS, I had a 6 speed prior to the SC and I do miss it. A 600 beckons if I can act my age and stop looking at ISFs.

In the front, the SC is almost as comfortable and there's plenty of room, it's a nice place to be. It's not as quiet and a little less remote from the road as an LS but if you tried one, I think you would be happy enough.

My garage tells me the SC is quite a bit shorter than the LS. The coilovers are adjustable and everyone seems to agree that the MeisterR's improve the handling with no detriment to the ride. On standard wheels and tyres I would say it improves it but allow a little more feel of the road for the wider rim set up. Air ride would be my choice if money was no object, the standard suspension set up is pretty good, it's no slouch but with these few additions you can certainly enjoy the countryside curves a little more.

• Like 1

Tempting, but then I'd look at your pics and think.....bigger sound/ (I'm a big hi-fi fan)....comfort? Try the coil-overs.....

Still, better than 'being the richest guy in the graveyard' as I was reminded the other day! Bought a NOS  pair of 'Yoko' Porsche wraparound glasses immediately!

Now; where's Pistonheads page.....?

• Like 1

I think what you've done is brilliant, totally unique.  One of the reasons I love owning an LS is that they're so rare, I maybe see 2 LS430's in a year. You'll never see one exactly like yours, like I say, totally unique, well done, you must be very proud of it!

• Like 1

Thanks, I agree it's nice to be in something rare and interesting. I'm reasonably happy with progress, the aim was to make it feel more like a traditional Soarer, A sports Coupe/Cab that has a bit more of a modern aggressive edge to it. It's not quite as good as some of the examples in the US but I think I only have a short way to go to achieve what I set out to do.

It seems to me that Lexus focused heavily on the folding top and forgot how innovative the earlier Soarer was. They took a step back from the digital dash, air suspension, ultra-sonic door mirrors, rear camera, superb Nakamichi hifi and lots more besides and opted for a curiously rounded shape and a classic interior. 

Chris, if you know your hifi, you will appreciate DLS. I'm trying to resist the urge to install Scandinavia 3 way components to the front. It sounds pretty good using the ML drivers set completely flat but £1200 more and a bit of fabrication and it could be car hifi heaven. Previous Soarers had big installs in them and I said I wouldn't do it again so I'm really trying not to this time.

Ah, so now we have your attention.:smile: That's cheap if it's in reasonable shape.

There does seem to be quite a few for sale but I think some of the dealers are asking a premium when you consider the price compared to say a similar aged GS430 or LS430. I've noticed a few brave souls in BMW rag tops with the roof off in the past week, a glimpse of the sun increases values.

Surely Lexus could have sold more in this country if the cars had been styled like this one.964262.jpg

Yes not much clearance but actually in most cases quite the opposite as the guys that use air suspension can do as the LS owners can and raise it up for humps and bumps at the touch of a controller.

• 3 years later...
On 3/31/2016 at 4:43 PM, Neil E said:

For a long time I've put off attempting to fit headers to the SC430 but with some help from PPE Engineering in the US and MIJ in Walsall, the task has now been completed. 

It was a costly exercise but I'm happy to report that there does seem to be a fairly significant power gain.

The original near side header is a direct fit. The offside header has to be modified to avoid the steering shaft of the right hand drive model so PPE shipped the parts and with some considerable effort MIJ were able to fit the nearside and then make up the offside manifold to fit.

PPE1.png.f0c994aa07c2875fd123c5065b269b2WP_20160208_8006.jpg.0c484fe68d65fe184f3IMG_81314.jpg.2cd25ee25b3bc0026f41ba2725IMG_81320.jpg.77592de97d4719c83bb8ffc895IMG_81318.jpg.d2cdcdfc58ca88095d8d79393a

The 4-1 short pipe headers are designed to bolt directly to the cat flanges. PPE tests show a 20 whp gain when combined with a 3rd cat delete and a free flowing exhaust. I won't know until I book a dyno session but the signs are good. imageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213eimageproxy.php?img=&key=c3a43f52b720213e

Hello Neil amazing post I’m your neighbor from across the pond here in Canada and I’m in the same boat ast you I have a imported rhd Toyota celsior which would be the ls 430 and I have bought the ppe headers and would love to get some extra knowledge from you if possible ! I’m new to this forum and not sure exactly how it works or if there is a way to message you directly