Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bumper chrome strip replacement

The chrome strip on my rear bumper is a tad dull, has anyone tried replacing theirs, and are the ones that Halfords and the like sell worth using?

It's not a big issue but if a self adhesive replacement would work I may as well make a nice looking car look even better!  Thanks

That quite amazing.   I have just replaced the rear bumper chrome this afternoon. I used self adhesive moulding from

eBay at £10  for 8 metres.  It was a bit slimmer than the original, but the same width. I padded it out with some

self adhesive foam tape to bring it flush.  Next job will be a reversing camera, but I shall use a         wireless   system

On 4/3/2016 at 6:20 PM, BentleyBeater said:

That quite amazing.   I have just replaced the rear bumper chrome this afternoon. I used self adhesive moulding from

Ebay at £10  for 8 metres.  It was a bit slimmer than the original, but the same width. I padded it out with some

self adhesive foam tape to bring it flush.  Next job will be a reversing camera, but I shall use a         wireless   system

Well it looks like just you and me! I'm of to buy some tomorrow and I may post some photos if it looks OK.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Well it looks like just you and me! I'm of to buy some tomorrow and I may post some photos if it looks OK.

Wait a minute there - have you tried using some metal polish on it? That'd be my go to if its actually metal.

If its plastic coated chrome Id be looking at some paint polish to sort it out.

I bought some from either fleabay/Amazon when Mine was bumped, can't remember the width offhand but was a perfect fit, my original trim has the black end mouldings but you can't tell unless you get very close.

Fitting tips are to remove any remaining old adhesive with some isopropyl soaked rag and warm the bumper and new trim with a hairdryer to make it more pliable and stick better.

26 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I bought some from either fleabay/Amazon when Mine was bumped, can't remember the width offhand but was a perfect fit, my original trim has the black end mouldings but you can't tell unless you get very close.

Fitting tips are to remove any remaining old adhesive with some isopropyl soaked rag and warm the bumper and new trim with a hairdryer to make it more pliable and stick better.

Thanks Steve.

And I have tried cleaning them but the chrome has completely gone.  It's only a small part but I think it will make a big difference. 

20 hours ago, rayaans said:

Wait a minute there - have you tried using some metal polish on it? That'd be my go to if its actually metal.

If its plastic coated chrome Id be looking at some paint polish to sort it out.

Well it just shows how wrong you can be.  The normal cleaners had no effect, so I thought I would take your advice before I bought new chrome.  I didn't really think about using slightly more aggressive cleaners but I decided to try before I went shopping, and this is the result with T-Cut, amazing, so thanks for the tip.

007.jpg

009.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Looks nice and shiny now so a fantastic result!

Go ahead and stick some wax on it now to prevent it happening again!

Already done!

• 3 years later...