Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX300 trademarked in Europe

Appears a new engine is coming! 

Now the real question is whether it's the detuned 3.5l V6 from the IS300 AWD in the US which pushes out 255hp or a completely new engine? 

I'm going for a new engine as it wouldn't make sense to add a V6 in the range with "just" 20hp more than the NX200T although it'd be a refined tool!

Let's hope we get a 270hp NX - and some spec changes would be nice too, preferably memory seats and HUD availability on F Sport!

Difficult to tell now as it was usually the higher the number the faster the car. But that changed with the IS300h and IS200t.

Might even be hydrogen?

My sales guy did intimate Lexus would have a full electric by 2020, but how much of that was just talk I don't know. I just can't see hydrogen gaining any traction with a non existent refuelling infrastructure. I imagine a few manufacturers have been taken by surprise by the 250k+ Tesla M3 reservations at £1k/$1k a time, and that might focus a few minds on BEV/PHEV's.

Certainly interesting times and it would be great to see Lexus part of it.

2 hours ago, DJP said:

My sales guy did intimate Lexus would have a full electric by 2020, but how much of that was just talk I don't know. I just can't see hydrogen gaining any traction with a non existent refuelling infrastructure. I imagine a few manufacturers have been taken by surprise by the 250k+ Tesla M3 reservations at £1k/$1k a time, and that might focus a few minds on BEV/PHEV's.

Certainly interesting times and it would be great to see Lexus part of it.

I mentioned this in another thread about the Tesla but anyway - they are reservations yes. I have got a few mates who have put 2 reservations down each! Plan is to get them quick and sell on for higher than retail. Many on the forums have put 2 reservations down (its limited to 2 per customer) as its a good investment opportunity.

Literally only takes 1 pump at every fuel station in the UK to set hydrogen up. Not a huge issue really and much cleaner in the end.

Lexus sales in the UK are not huge and with cheap petrol in the US, thats where they'll try to maximise sales. Hydrogen in California is pretty abundant. They've got loads in development at the moment and a few functioning already. Perfect for the fuel cell LS coming in 2020 by which point they will have atleast 200 if not more considering they have about 50 in development right now.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I mentioned this in another thread about the Tesla but anyway - they are reservations yes. I have got a few mates who have put 2 reservations down each! Plan is to get them quick and sell on for higher than retail. Many on the forums have put 2 reservations down (its limited to 2 per customer) as its a good investment opportunity.

Literally only takes 1 pump at every fuel station in the UK to set hydrogen up. Not a huge issue really and much cleaner in the end.

Lexus sales in the UK are not huge and with cheap petrol in the US, thats where they'll try to maximise sales. Hydrogen in California is pretty abundant. They've got loads in development at the moment and a few functioning already. Perfect for the fuel cell LS coming in 2020 by which point they will have atleast 200 if not more considering they have about 50 in development right now.

From what I've read elsewhere the reservation is not transferable but as I haven't I don't know one way or the other for a fact. If hydrogen were that easy presumably it would be more advanced than it actually is. Anyway, if there's a new NX on the way that's got to be good news.

35 minutes ago, DJP said:

From what I've read elsewhere the reservation is not transferable but as I haven't I don't know one way or the other for a fact. If hydrogen were that easy presumably it would be more advanced than it actually is. Anyway, if there's a new NX on the way that's got to be good news.

You are correct, the reservations aren't transferable. The idea is to get the car delivered and then sell it.

I do like the idea of an NX300. It seems certain that itll be a V6 for those who want extra refinement. Perfect for me then, but I also need a good spec on the F-Sport models including memory seats and HUD availability!

You are correct, the reservations aren't transferable. The idea is to get the car delivered and then sell it.

I do like the idea of an NX300. It seems certain that itll be a V6 for those who want extra refinement. Perfect for me then, but I also need a good spec on the F-Sport models including memory seats and HUD availability!

So would it be a hybrid or not?

30 minutes ago, DJP said:

Most likely not. Its NX300 written exactly like that. If it was a hybrid it'd have a h on the end. Its definitely some sort of naturally aspirated V6

Most likely not. Its NX300 written exactly like that. If it was a hybrid it'd have a h on the end. Its definitely some sort of naturally aspirated V6

I thought you'd have added the 'h' if it was but it worth asking. Is it likely to be much different from the NX200T then?

11 minutes ago, DJP said:

I thought you'd have added the 'h' if it was but it worth asking. Is it likely to be much different from the NX200T then?

Honestly not sure. Lexus do some things weird so I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the NX300 with the 3.5l from the states pushing out 255hp. That might be plenty for the NX though considering the 200t does 60mph in 7s. 

However they've also come out with GS 300 for the US and Canada which would be a little odd

Just been on the phone to my mate at Lexus so can provide an update for you DJP

He says it is indeed the 3.5l V6 from the IS300 AWD. Therefore, it'll have 255hp and 320nm of torque running through the 6 speed Aisin transmission. 

The 200t has 235hp and 350nm of torque in comparison. Expect 0-60mph times to be slightly better at 6.5s but the main aim of the car is to provide customers with a nice sound and better NVH. No news on pricing though but I'd expect it to be highee than the 200t. 

Interesting times ahead, lots of things happening at Lexus right now most of which I can't mention but oops there's a twin turbo on the way, and a new CT

• Like 1

Thanks for the inside track info Rayanns, always welcome! Get the right spec options and you'll be very happy :smile: a hydrogen based NX with a tie up with Shell for refuelling would be nice, or failing that a BEV/PHEV :rolleyes:

As you say, interesting times!

I contacted Lexus a few months back asking if there were any plans for a PHEV NX, but the reply was there were no plans at the moment. 

Shame, that would be one I would definitely go for. 

4 hours ago, DJP said:

Thanks for the inside track info Rayanns, always welcome! Get the right spec options and you'll be very happy :smile: a hydrogen based NX with a tie up with Shell for refuelling would be nice, or failing that a BEV/PHEV :rolleyes:

As you say, interesting times!

Hmm something interesting that he mentioned which I was not aware of at all was the fact that there is a full electric Lexus RX in the states with Battery packs from the Tesla model S........ Not sure whether that means anything or not lol.

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

I contacted Lexus a few months back asking if there were any plans for a PHEV NX, but the reply was there were no plans at the moment. 

Lexus also said there were no plans for an RX with 3 rows...... and its just happened! lol

They also said that there were no plans to start using Lithium Ion batteries and again, its happened with the LC500h

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:20 AM, Goggy said:

A manufacturer will never give this kind of information over the phone... they will never give information that has not already be made available through press releases and statements because of the implication on share prices, and also insider trading regulations etc. Furthermore, they cannot run the risk of releasing unofficial statements and then see themselves sued.

In short, unless the information is "out there" already, you won't get zilch from them. Unless you have "contacts"... (we have Rayaan!)

Edited by DanD
Mispelt Rayaan's name!

1 hour ago, DanD said:

A manufacturer will never give this kind of information over the phone... they will never give information that has not already be made available through press releases and statements because of the implication on share prices, and also insider trading regulations etc. Furthermore, they cannot run the risk of releasing unofficial statements and then see themselves sued.

In short, unless the information is "out there" already, you won't get zilch from them. Unless you have "contacts"... (we have Ryaan!)

Agree, they wont do it if you contact Lexus HQ directly as their calls are recorded so would have job implications.

My contact did have a little hiccup a while back. He told me very specific information on the new RX 6 months before it came out. I posted on here and some dimwit forum member went to Lexus Manchester and said everything! The Manager called Lexus UK and all sorts of **** went down apparently.

Am I alone in finding the idea of a non-hybrid NX300 a bizarre step backwards for Lexus? I doubt if it will have much better refinement than the NX300h (which benefits from the max torque at zero revs of the electric motors), and it will probably have worse fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the 200t.  I'd urge Lexus to drop this turkey now, and focus on giving us an NX400h instead. BTW I've also asked about plug-in, with the usual "no plans" response.

53 minutes ago, Martin J said:

Am I alone in finding the idea of a non-hybrid NX300 a bizarre step backwards for Lexus? I doubt if it will have much better refinement than the NX300h (which benefits from the max torque at zero revs of the electric motors), and it will probably have worse fuel consumption and CO2 emissions than the 200t.  I'd urge Lexus to drop this turkey now, and focus on giving us an NX400h instead. BTW I've also asked about plug-in, with the usual "no plans" response.

I should mention it was trademarked in Europe so it could be that the UK don't actually get it whilst other markets uh as Russia do.  

It would make sense though especially for buyers who want the upmost refinement and low NVH levels. Whilst the NX300h is good, the engine does intrude more and has more vibration than a V6. 

No word on whether it is coming to the UK or not. Depends on what the tax levels are I guess and whether Lexus UK feel there is enough of a market for one.

Lexus typically cater for the US market where plug in hybrids arent catching in s making one just for Europe would result in huge cost with little gain. They have a firm belief that plug in buyers buy the car just for tax savings and grants and rarely charge the cars at all

10 hours ago, Martin J said:

You're not alone I agree with you completely. Whether the astonishing response to Tesla's Model 3 reveal last week spurns  other manufacturers on remains to be seen, but it would be great to see Lexus being a player in the EV/PHEV market. 

Yes, a plug in would be ace. I can't understand why they don't as the technology is there already and with other manufactures heading that way in large numbers it seems an easy option for them. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links