Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone got a front door 6x9 speaker?

needmorecharge

I dare say they are quite expensive from Toyota/Lexus but it's worth checking. I recall the sub was quoted at £350 ish and it really shouldn't have that price tag.

There are a few being broken on eBay but if it's the usual speaker surround repair that needs doing, there is a repair kit available and a tutorial on U-Tube. It looks fairly easy to do.

If memory serves, I think Polk Audio made some 8 ohm drivers that fit or can be adapted to fit. I will try to do a little research to check. They are likely to be much better and less expensive than the ML drivers. 

Some owners have used 4 ohm replacements and not reported any issues but I wouldn't recommend it. 

• Like 1

If Lexus can't, a professional car hifi shop should be able to help you. There are still some experienced and talented installers around.

Yes I've got the car booked in to a local guy who is one of the best in the business. Goes in on Thursday for a full diagnosis but I know for sure one of the 6x9s is broken but best to get the full system checked.

• Like 1

Excellent, you don't hang around....

Speaker faults are quite common on these. I suspect it's sometimes due to abuse and sometimes because they are exposed to the elements. So many people turn the bass up to distorted levels instead of turning up the volume. For a standard car system, it really can sound very good.

I've changed my head unit for an Alpine and have some additional subs but the components up front are really very good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2016 at 1:03 PM, Chris Skelton said:

"Additional subs'! Mild understatement! I've seen the pics!

Yes they can be fairly noisy rear seat passengers when agitated. I must get around to finishing the install.

• 1 year later...

I replaced my 6 x 4 door speakers (the speaker cones rot with age) with a pair from Halfords, cheap as chips, sounded a lot better than the rotted cones ML ones. I dare say new MLs would sound better, but if you are over 35, the top end of your hearing spectrum has gone anyway, so you wont notice.

On 4/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, grahamw2 said:

I replaced my 6 x 4 door speakers (the speaker cones rot with age) with a pair from Halfords, cheap as chips, sounded a lot better than the rotted cones ML ones. I dare say new MLs would sound better, but if you are over 35, the top end of your hearing spectrum has gone anyway, so you wont notice.

Good point. Hearing diminishes at both ends of the scale long before we become sensible but even approaching pension age I can still appreciate a good system.

The 6x9 speakers are just providing some mid bass, the MLs are okay, some swap to Alpine 6x9 as a quick fix. I eventually took the plunge and swapped the lot for Focal. I just need to find someone under 22 to check it sounds okay now.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links