Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200D Xenon Day time running headlight Conversion

Lexi1982

Hi all.

I am looking to change the highlights of my 2012 IS200 Diesel Advance from the standard headlight to the Daytime Running Light (DRL) type - Similar to what is fitted to the F sport models.

Does anybody know if this can be done?

Is the wiring of my Advance model compatible with these lights?

Will the DRL work with my car.

Has anybody done this conversion??

Any advice / guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried myself ( so don't treat what I say as a fact). If you buy after market (fake) DRL lights they should be plug and play as far as electrical connection, but you will have issues with everything else e.g. ASF, auto leveling etc. as usually they do not support such features (thought there are different quality levels and I might be wrong). If however you have you hands on the original units (which are crazy expensive) I believe that they have separate connection for DRL strip therefore they are not plug and play in such case the power for the LED strip will need to be fudges somehow (good news it should be low power consumption v12, so no rocket science). However, yet even if you get hold of original units you will still have issues with auto lights etc. as DRL strip will fool the sensor to think that it is not dark and therefore Auto-light will never work.

Then again there are variations like Xenon/Adaptable/Standard which you need to get right or deal with additional incompatibility issues.

I am sure it can be done, but it is not that straight forward as it might look.

(missing the times when I had 2012 F-Sport with DRL).

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your response Linas.P.

I have looked at the fake replacements alright, and you are right, they are much cheaper than the originals!

I was hoping that this would be a simple "plug and play". I'm not sure if I am prepared to go interfering with wiring etc of the car.

• 1 year later...

Just my guess...

People most of the time abandon this project (including myself) when they realise this is £500-800 "jobie" (or £1500+ if we talking OEM parts)... and all that just for some LED lights which do nothing except of looking "cool". The price alone makes it easy to program the brain to switch lights on the stalk manually.