Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good afternoon,

After 3 years of Kia ownership due to getting on the property ladder, I can finally throw off the shackles of banality and get the GS 300 I've wanted ever since I said goodbye to my beloved LS400.

I'm looking at 05-06 plate cars to enjoy the lower tax rate if possible but if the right car comes along on an 06-08 then it's not really an issue. My budget won;t stretch to the 09/10 facelift / interior updates (much as I'd like the HDD audio system).

I've searched both here and on other forums but cannot find a definitive 'buyers guide' for this model so was wondering if someone could take the time to answer a few questions for me.

1) Known problems. Are there any? I've heard some rumblings about piston ring failure and carbon build up being an issue on the 300's engine however this seems mainly reported in the USA where fuel quality is (or can be) low. There are also mention of leaking shocks and seizing calipers but this seems restricted to the 450h versions - or do these issues extend to the 300 as well?

2) Is the mark levinson stereo something to hold out for? There are a number of LE and SE cars around with low miles but without the ML audio, as a bit of a lapsed audiphile who always lusted after ML's home audio the prospect is appealing however I've again read that the amps and speakers can deteriorate after a number of years and are expensive / difficult to replace or get repaired.

3) Is there anything else I should know before looking at one of these cars? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any information (or links to articles / guides etc.) would be much aprieciated.

Whats your budget?

Make sure you see a newer car before going for the 05/06 - for me the early navigation system looks very dated in those earlier models.

I test drove a 06 300 LE with the non ML audio system and it sounded pretty bad to me, really boomy. 

1. I have not heard the Mark L system, so I can't comment on how good/bad it is. That said, I had a Bose system in my MB ML500 and the stock system in both a 1999 GS300 and 2000 GS430 is imo just as good. It really is good.

2. Re satnav. Agreed the older one is a bit dated/clunky, but I usually just use TT on my Iphone 6+

Both brilliant cars btw :) Happy hunting.

budget is up to £8000 (dependant upon trade in value for the kia).

There are still a few SE and LE spec cars with the ML audio system it just means a bit more travelling to get to them is all Ideally I'd go for the SE-L but there seems to be a drought of good ones at present. Plenty of 125k+ mile ones about but a decent 50-70k mile one? No chance.

2 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

1. I have not heard the Mark L system, so I can't comment on how good/bad it is. That said, I had a Bose system in my MB ML500 and the stock system in both a 1999 GS300 and 2000 GS430 is imo just as good. It really is good.

2. Re satnav. Agreed the older one is a bit dated/clunky, but I usually just use TT on my iPhone 6+

Both brilliant cars btw :) Happy hunting.

To be honest I use my phone for sat nav duties all the time now so 'retro' graphics wouldn't be that big a deal.

5 minutes ago, julian1969 said:

To be honest I use my phone for sat nav duties all the time now so 'retro' graphics wouldn't be that big a deal.

You also may not be used to the newer graphics which might help, I was coming from a ML 2007 IS250.

5 minutes ago, julian1969 said:

budget is up to £8000 (dependant upon trade in value for the kia).

There are still a few SE and LE spec cars with the ML audio system it just means a bit more travelling to get to them is all Ideally I'd go for the SE-L but there seems to be a drought of good ones at present. Plenty of 125k+ mile ones about but a decent 50-70k mile one? No chance.

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, my 300 was sweet as a nut @130K. My 430 is currently just under 150K, had a few minor issues,VSV recently and I have had the cam belt and water pump done as a preventative measure. Runs very very well. I would buy on condition and verifiable service record.

2 minutes ago, mkbean said:

You also may not be used to the newer graphics which might help, I was coming from a ML 2007 IS250.

Just noticed you are in Bedfordshire too, do you use Lexus (MK I guess) to service your car or do you have a trusted independent you could recommend?

28 minutes ago, julian1969 said:

Good afternoon,

After 3 years of Kia ownership due to getting on the property ladder, I can finally throw off the shackles of banality and get the GS 300 I've wanted ever since I said goodbye to my beloved LS400.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any information (or links to articles / guides etc.) would be much aprieciated.

Have you ruled out a 430? the 300 is nice, the 430 is very nice :-) 

And not a great deal difference in petrol consumption...

I use Lexus MK for services, local garage can do brakes and tyres no problem. Lexus MK collect and drop off the car which is nice.

If you aren't too far from me, don't bother with that GS300 LE - MT56 xxx, its poor.

1 hour ago, mkbean said:

I use Lexus MK for services, local garage can do brakes and tyres no problem. Lexus MK collect and drop off the car which is nice.

If you aren't too far from me, don't bother with that GS300 LE - MT56 xxx, its poor.

I was looking at that LE. Just as an example what was poor about it? I was wary due to the history being from a non Lexus garage not necessarily a bad thing but a red flag. Is it bodywork or mechanicals. A closer look at the pics do indicate a few possible scrapes on one side. I've had chats with Lexus MK and they seem very accommodating on the sales side anyway. 

Thanks for taking the time by the way. Much appreciated. 

Hi, havent posted on here for a short while, I have my GS300 SE-L up for sale well well well below your budget and the lower tax bracket!  Really is a great example, I bought it from a forum member (came all the way from Ireland to Essex!), it has the ML as well (which sounds great!).  Its currently wrapped but happy to remove (black and mint with zero dings or dents underneath, literally not one!).  I bought a C63 Mercedes a few months and it hasn't been driven since, just sitting there on a trickle charge and started once a fortnight.  Link is here.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162030123455?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks
Chris

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, julian1969 said:

I was looking at that LE. Just as an example what was poor about it? I was wary due to the history being from a non Lexus garage not necessarily a bad thing but a red flag. Is it bodywork or mechanicals. A closer look at the pics do indicate a few possible scrapes on one side. I've had chats with Lexus MK and they seem very accommodating on the sales side anyway. 

Thanks for taking the time by the way. Much appreciated. 

There is no documented history beyond the first free service after delivery (just a bull story from the seller), poor paint repair on the right rear panel, interior damage where the drivers seatbelt has been repeatedly trapped by the door, tpms sensors are missing so the warning light is continually on, interior generally a bit scuffed and scruffy. Massive rattle from the dash area. Wasn't loved at all. 

As i said before, the old graphics and boomy stereo also weren't my thing.

On the plus side, it does drive ok.

6 minutes ago, fozzyf said:

Hi, havent posted on here for a short while, I have my GS300 SE-L up for sale well well well below your budget and the lower tax bracket!  Really is a great example, I bought it from a forum member (came all the way from Ireland to Essex!), it has the ML as well (which sounds great!).  Its currently wrapped but happy to remove (black and mint with zero dings or dents underneath, literally not one!).  I bought a C63 Mercedes a few months and it hasn't been driven since, just sitting there on a trickle charge and started once a fortnight.  Link is here.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162030123455?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Thanks
Chris

Looks nice. That interior colour does show the dirt so no kids inside :-)

Hello Julian,

I bought a 18th March 06 GS300 just got into the cheaper tax band. I have since sold it to my father. I is a great car. We were lucky to get SE-L with sunroof and ML. We have come across the following issues.

1. They were sold with bonnets that were not galvanised so are prone to bubbling on the leading edge of the bonnet. Lexus were happy to replace with a new bonnet.

2. rear heat sheilds have corroded around the bolts and fell off. easy fix with big washers.

3 The y join on the back boxes is a very poor design and has recently disintegrated. new back boxes £470ish. Could have been fixed with new section but we didnt want a botched job.

when looking at them check for chips on edge of bonnet above the scuttle panel. many people don't realise there is a wiper change position for the wiper arms, they attempt to lift the wipers to change them and hit the bonnet.

Some good advice above, I remember having to have washers put on the heat shields as well.

Another known problem are rear shocks failing, they aren't cheap to replace.  I bought mine with coilovers on it (he gave me the factory shocks but the rears were shot).  I had the shocks reconditioned by Gaz Shocks (who make coilovers etc but are local to me), fitted them on the car and its like new!  The coilovers that were on it were very bumpy for an old git like me!

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone. 

Fozzy I spotted your car on eBay earlier today. Unfortunately I'm looking to take the easy option and use my existing car as a trade in so private sellers aren't really an option... Unless you're interested in a 12 plate new shape Kia ceed 2 ecodynamic? No? Lol. 

Haha ummm, not really that interested thank you, only reason for selling is to reduce car numbers between us!  However I do have a couple of friends in the trade who would purchase from you i'm sure if its trade value you are after?

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 9:22 PM, fozzyf said:

Haha ummm, not really that interested thank you, only reason for selling is to reduce car numbers between us!  However I do have a couple of friends in the trade who would purchase from you i'm sure if its trade value you are after?

Thanks I'm looking at trade in, this seems to be around the 6-6.5k mark for my model, year and condition so it's something to think about.

I've now widened my search to include the 450h model too as their reliability seems on a par with the 300 with the exception of the 'transmission pump' just wondering if there is any way of discerning if this issue is present or about to become an issue on an inspection / test drive? Any noises, vibrations or other tell tales that would point to this being or becoming faulty. 

haha or kick her out and use the passenger seat!!

Thankfully mine sold a few days ago to the first viewer, he seemed very happy indeed!  Just got some coilovers and a front splitter to shift!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links