Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Old RX300 or Rav4

So I was in the IS300h forum and saw and advert for RX300.  shocked by the price, circa 4K for 54 plate.

We were thinking of swapping her car in for an old Rav 4 (budget 4-5K), having seen an RX300 isn't much more money I wondering about that.

looking online they sound reasonably reliable, can anyone advise?  Basically not too worried about MPG's but want something that isn't go to be cash cow to keep on the road (she only does about 3,000 miles a year.  My mate is a mechanic so can get serviced cheap so that isn't really an issue either.

Thank you all very much for the replies.  sounds like there isn't anything really to worry about then with the RX.  Will keep my eyes peeled one a reasonable one coming on the market close to us.  

If you buy one before March 06 ( if I remember correctly) the road tax should be around £285 per year but after that it rises to almost £500 per year. If you don't mind the higher road tax I would buy a RX 350 which is excellent. I had a RX 300 SE-L for six years and it was very reliable comfortable car which looked the part.

• Like 1

Yes, go for the SE if it doesn't have warranty. Dont really need the reversing camera, its not that that big. Just get some aftermarket parking sensors put on instead.

Air suspension is a killer in SE-L models, especially those without warranty.

So, Thank you all for the feedback, been to see a 58 plate Rav 4 which we liked, and test drove 2 RX400h's.  The Rx is obviously a much much better car and at £7K compared to £6K for the rav 4 is an absolute steal.  Any thoughts on a 100K 2007 RX400h?  There was one with Full lexus service history, which if the salesman wasn't so pushy I would have probably bought today.

4 hours ago, darrude said:

So, Thank you all for the feedback, been to see a 58 plate Rav 4 which we liked, and test drove 2 RX400h's.  The Rx is obviously a much much better car and at £7K compared to £6K for the rav 4 is an absolute steal.  Any thoughts on a 100K 2007 RX400h?  There was one with Full lexus service history, which if the salesman wasn't so pushy I would have probably bought today.

Should be fine. Check the rear brakes as they don't get used much so may stick. 

The 400h doesn't have air suspension so is fine in that respect.

Sunroofs may leak too so check that. Also check the rear hatch to see if it functions properly and the Sat Nav system for any weird behaviour. Basically all electrics. 

Id probably buy and then get a Lexus warranty for it

• Like 1

Well, thanks to all for the replies, Ended up going for a Rav4, only because we came across 58 plate car at a good price, that was in absolute A1 condition, just 1 very minor mark on the door, and you could tell the previous dealer loved it, all paper work in plastic sleeves, filed in order.  hopefully it will be a good one.  My wife wants an RX now though, but agreed to wait a couple of years, and agreed the RX was a bit too nice for a dog van!

Cheers,

Darren. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links