Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hydrogen Decarb Service

Linas.P

Hello Everyone,

I was planning to decarb my engine for a while now. Emissions is one thing - I am sure I will still be within limits, but engine sound and fuel economy is another thing. I do use Premium fuel every second time to prevent excessive built-up of carbon etc. but at least in my opinion neither fuel additives off-shelf, nor the ones in premium fuel are sufficient to really clean all gunk, especially in IS250 before injectors.

I know there are several companies offering "hydrogen decarb" service ~£100. I have hear very good opinions about it , however I am not sure how it is better than DIY cleaning by pumping steam via air inlet. There are million videos how it is done showing before and after results. Can somebody give any recommendation from personal experience?

Second thing, I am not sure what impact that can have if engine have large carbon deposits already... wouldn't it block something down the line e.g. catalyst converter? 

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

• 4 months later...

I'm interested to know this too. 

But:

1. Is the carbon build up as much an issue in the UK as it is in the US?

2. Are these decarb services actually able to clear the carbon inside the pistons and valves etc

I see no reason why carbon issue in UK would be any different from US, carbon build-up is not related with leaded petrol (like in US). Obviously, using higher octane better grade will result in less carbon, or simply better burning petrol will burn the carbon deposits over the time.

Question 2.. that is what I am trying to find out myself. They all claim they do, nobody know if that is true.

On 10/09/2016 at 8:31 PM, quarryman said:

You contradicted yourself in the first part. 

If the US use lower octane surely that means it's more of an issue there. 

Many people has misconception that US fuel is worse, because it has lower octane number, but that is not true. They use different rating system called AKI instead of RON. AKI is average from RON/MON and it has lower rating for same fuel. So US 91 (AKI) = EU 97+ (RON), 92 is ~98/99.

Now what is true is that US fuels has more lead and sulphur, as I have already stated these doesn't really affect carbon buildup. Actually, Sulphur even increases burning temperature (which might even help to burn carbon), but it is otherwise bad for engine and as well results in more NOx.

So just to clarify on my above post, what I mean by "higher octane better grade will result in less carbon" is that US91/92 AKI or EU97-99 RON fuel will result in less carbon than US87 or EU95, even though both US91/87 will have more lead and  sulphur than equivalent EU fuel.