Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driver Power Survey - Auto Express

I see the NX dropped 11 places to 17 this year, despite a similar score to last year. Which confirms how the SUV section is very competitive and the newer cars often push older ones down. 17 is still good mind. Voted 1st for Build Quality :), 4th for Seat Comfort, 9th for Reliability, 24th for Ease of Driving, 29th for Road Handling, 34th for Ride Quality, 35th for In-Car Tech, just out of top 50 with a 51st for Practicality, 80th for Performance and 107 for Running Costs. I feel the Running Costs poor result is due to the huge difference of Claimed and Real World MPG. 

Top car was the Tesla Model S.

Lexus also had some other good places. 4th IS Mk3, 5th GS Mk4, 6th RX Mk3, 10th RX Mk2, 37th GS Mk3, 42nd CT, even the IS Mk2 still gets a 85th spot. so another good year for Lexus.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Goggy said:

I see the NX dropped 11 places to 17 this year, despite a similar score to last year. Which confirms how the SUV section is very competitive and the newer cars often push older ones down. 17 is still good mind. Voted 1st for Build Quality :), 4th for Seat Comfort, 9th for Reliability, 24th for Ease of Driving, 29th for Road Handling, 34th for Ride Quality, 35th for In-Car Tech, just out of top 50 with a 51st for Practicality, 80th for Performance and 107 for Running Costs. I feel the Running Costs poor result is due to the huge difference of Claimed and Real World MPG. 

Top car was the Tesla Model S.

Lexus also had some other good places. 4th IS Mk3, 5th GS Mk4, 6th RX Mk3, 10th RX Mk2, 37th GS Mk3, 42nd CT, even the IS Mk2 still gets a 85th spot. so another good year for Lexus.

Lol this years survey is a bit daft. Lexus IS got docked for practicality. Seriously, people buying a saloon are expecting practicality? Even then, I cant see how its worse than any other saloon out there bar 30 litres of boot space which is hardly that much.

RX and GS got docked for running costs - OK so a 2 tonne vehicle with 3.5l engine doing 30+ MPG is bad is it?

A model S turned out to have better practicality than a LR discovery, a better ride than an S-class (which wasn't anywhere to be seen) and an MG MG6 had better road handling compared to pretty much everything else!

How do cars like the Jeep Cherokee and Subaru Forester even get anywhere near the top? bit fishy isnt it?

Yes, there are always some odd scores. It is good that it is the driver/owners that vote, rather than so called 'experts' but what are they comparing their scores to? I have always thought it was a tad misleading, but it does give a more accurate/alternative view than the diesel loving, German loving, acceleration loving, car magazine reviewers. I watched a reviewer once take an NX around a race track at very high speed, trying to break the track record. The fact that no real owner would ever do that and that on our roads you would never be able to accelerate that fast seemed lost on the idiot. So it still makes interesting reading, so long as you understand it throws up odd results some times. 

1 minute ago, Goggy said:

Yes, there are always some odd scores. It is good that it is the driver/owners that vote, rather than so called 'experts' but what are they comparing their scores to? I have always thought it was a tad misleading, but it does give a more accurate/alternative view than the diesel loving, German loving, acceleration loving, car magazine reviewers. I watched a reviewer once take an NX around a race track at very high speed, trying to break the track record. The fact that no real owner would ever do that and that on our roads you would never be able to accelerate that fast seemed lost on the idiot. So it still makes interesting reading, so long as you understand it throws up odd results some times. 

Agreed. It provides some insight into the cars and what owners like about them but yes, they aren't really comparing to anything apart from what their preconceptions of that attribute is, for example, practicality. I would also assume that some people who voted in the survey dont actually know what practicality in car terms actually means!

Yes, agreed,  but a lot say not so nice things about them too, or they would all be high scoring. Forget some of the scores, but overall the better cars do come out on top. Take reliability, Lexus are the most reliable cars built currently, everyone knows that, the score reflects that. The disappointment with true MPG also reflects in the low score for running costs. One odd score for me is the 1st that the Tesla gets for practicality. Okay, it has seats in the boot that kids can sit in, but the boot is not huge, nor is the front space for luggage. How can that be more practical than a SUV, people carrier or estate?  

6 hours ago, Goggy said:

One odd score for me is the 1st that the Tesla gets for practicality. Okay, it has seats in the boot that kids can sit in, but the boot is not huge, nor is the front space for luggage. How can that be more practical than a SUV, people carrier or estate?  

It's a relative score though, compared to other vehicles in its class it has good practicality.

How many Tesla owners actually took part in this survey though? If there's only like 10 and they all put down amazing scores then its going to go in their favour. With so few Tesla's around on the road I bet there's some dodgy antics going on behind the scenes too. Wouldnt be surprised if showroom staff are putting scores up using demo number plates.

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's a relative score though, compared to other vehicles in its class it has good practicality.

Yes, true. I've certainly never seen a car with seats in the boot before. :)

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

Yes, true. I've certainly never seen a car with seats in the boot before. :)

Mercedes E class Estate has seats in the boot for sure

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

Mercedes E class Estate has seats in the boot for sure

Oh yes, I meant saloon, but still a rare thing. You would think they would make it an option rather than all cars have it. 

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

Oh yes, I meant saloon, but still a rare thing. You would think they would make it an option rather than all cars have it. 

The model S isn't technically a saloon though. It has a hatchback opening - its more of a elongated coupe

1 hour ago, Goggy said:

It is, and an expensive one at that. £ 2,600 for rear facing seats.

Had them in a Mercedes estate that we had but never used them as I was always worried if you were rear ended especially by something large like a lorry they wouldn't stand a chance in the back. Mike.

36 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It is, and an expensive one at that. £ 2,600 for rear facing seats.

Ahhh I see, I should have checked. :) I bet not many will go for that, it does seem a bit odd if you ask me, the back window means only youngsters will be able to sit there, which does not appeal to me at all. 

I guess a lot of the scores are driven by expectations vs reality and yes, MPG would certainly have an negative impact there.

The in-car tech score does not surprise me. I feel that Lexus have rested on their laurels and have been / are being overtaken by the competition, in particular with regards to SatNav graphics and a less than intuitive interface, lack of integration with Android, etc...

The number of drivers taking part in the survey is a very good point, and the Lexus scores are likely to based on far fewer entries than that of equivalent Audis and BMWs. Having said this, it may swing the scores in favour of Lexus just as it may go against them!

All in all though, Lexus should be proud of the results. Selfishly, I just hope that the scores will not results in hordes of people swarming to Lexus dealerships. I want Lexus to retain some exclusivity!  :-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links