Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Few 400h questions

Hello all, I'm still pondering if a 400h is right for me, can anyone answer these questions.

How does it stand up to short journeys? My wife's daily commute is about a mile and the current 300 is fine with that and even starts to get the cabin warm. However it's an up and down hill journey so will this simply flatten the starter Battery in a short space of time?

Can the engine be manually started and idle on the driveway in order to warm up the cabin in the winter, or run the AC to cool the cabin in the summer?

Many thanks

Damon

HI Damon

I have a 430 but have been researching into the GS450H - if the RX400H is any similar then i understand that when the engine is not being used the heating is via electric setup which means you will get instant heat therefore engine temp is not relevant.

27 minutes ago, 240dae said:

Hello all, I'm still pondering if a 400h is right for me, can anyone answer these questions.

How does it stand up to short journeys? YES

My wife's daily commute is about a mile and the current 300 is fine with that and even starts to get the cabin warm. However it's an up and down hill journey so will this simply flatten the starter battery in a short space of time? NO

Can the engine be manually started and idle on the driveway in order to warm up the cabin in the winter, or run the AC to cool the cabin in the summer? YES

Many thanks

Damon

• Like 1

Honestly if you're doing 1 mile commute then I dont think the RX400h will be beneficial in terms of fuel economy. It'll be doing the same MPG roughly as the RX300.

If you've turned the car on, it will run the AC and then automatically start the engine if the Battery needs charging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisermark said:

HI Damon

I have a 430 but have been researching into the GS450H - if the RX400H is any similar then i understand that when the engine is not being used the heating is via electric setup which means you will get instant heat therefore engine temp is not relevant.

This isn't true, the petrol engine will run to generate heat. Cooling is electric however.

There is no starter Battery or starter motor as such on a 400H, the HV Battery starts the petrol engine via motor/generator 1 so the 12v Battery is only used for auxiliaries when the car in not in a ready state. gearbox.jpg The heating is via the waste heat from the petrol engine.

• Like 1

Hello all

thanks for the replys and answers, very helpful. 

I found myself at my local Franchised Lexus dealer yesterday and asked similar questions, nobody could answer any of then.

I had a salesman and the head of service talking to me, but neither of them knew any technical details of the (or any I fear) the 400h or later 450h. Quite staggering. I know I'd last about five minutes in my current job if I didn't know anything about it!

Looks like I'll be getting a 400h then, and see how it goes.

Thanks again

15 hours ago, Parrot of Doom said:

A one mile commute.  One mile.  I know people use cars for purposes other than commuting, but really, driving a mile to work?  I'd walk.

True, it'd take 6 mins max if you go for a run. If you sprint all the way then maybe 3 lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links