Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blue smoke comes out from exhaust when get up to temperature

Aigars

Hi all !!! I'm just wondering if anyone have a similar problem! The engine start is fine no smoke at all except when it's cold and just steam coming out! When engine gets working temperature blue smoke comes out for a minute or so and after disappear! Drive hard as you want everything is fine no smoke! It's happening every day! Besides engine don't have any  oil diesel or coolant leaks! Coolant fluid is nice and  pink! Oil level same correct! Average mpg 36!  I'm thinking could it be 5th injector or egr??? 

Hey.

Blue smoke generally denotes oil burning, so I don't think it would be the 5th injector.  From my understanding, blue smoke is oil, white is water and black is fuel.

Having said that, only happening for a short time is unusual.  If it was worn rings or valve stem seals, it would either do it at startup and while driving, although you might only see it in your mirrors if using the car hard.

How long has this been going on and how often do you check the oil level?

Bought the car 2 months ago, its been like that from a day one. Mileage 140k. 2 weeks ago changed oil and filters except fuel filter. Oil level seems to be same no increase or decrease. It's weird because when I drive it smokes only in the morning. Coming back from work in the same day- nothing, no smoke at all! I'm driving around 60 miles every day! I'm driving with various speeds! Power seems good as well! And it can't be a self regeneration every day! I have been to a local garage and all they said it's nothing serious.... Just to keep driving like that it's so embarrassing, people keep distance from me because of smoke 😜    I really want to find the problem but don't know what to look at...

Looks like it is doing it every time you accelerate?

Can't quite make out the colour in those videos.  Would you be able to stand behind while someone else revs it to get a better look at the smoke?

Does it only do it under load. Can't judge the color, can you find out if it smells? If no smell then ignore it as it can be steam. If smell then you have some problem. 

Under load can be valve seals. But you said it isn't eating oil... Have you checked oil and coolant in the morning before starting the car ? And which oil did you use?

So far I am being tried everything I could possibly do! Change oil (millers 5w30 trident long life) all possible filters and in the end clean egr and spray egr cleaner through air intake! All it's left, in my opinion is check dpf and 5th injector! Because I have been driving allot in the town today-start stop,start stop! And every time once I start driving it's puffing out  a little bit smoke - blueish white! That's what happens all the time. I'm checking oil and coolant levels all the time, no changes! It doesn't affect the performance and mpg in my opinion (36avg)  That smoke comes and goes! It seems burning something excessive like fuel or oil...... I know that isn't normal so I'm willing to find the issue. Any ideas welcome! Thanks guys!

It doesn't seem that the head gasket has been mentioned yet, and obviously not what you would want to hear.  The IS diesel is known for this failure and unfortunately all too common.  

Wouldn't head gasket consume coolant ? 

From white/blue smoke it does look like HG or oil because poster says its blueish. But if it were oil the poster could smell it more easily than coolant... Comes down to smell test I guess to know what that smoke is.

The head gasket has both water and oil channels cut into it, so it depends on how it fails whether it is water or oil that is leaking.

The reason it hasn't been mentioned is that the OP says that the dipstick shows no oil being consumed.  Would be handy to verify this, along with the colour of the smoke before worrying about specific diagnostics.

Phil is right though that the head gasket is a distinct possibility.

I have an 08 is220d and I was having exactly the same problems as you. I took my car into lexus Wolverhampton and explained the situation. They basically told me not to worry as it's a common trait with the car. I got them to do a full check and everything was running fine. The mechanic told me to try using bp ultimate diesel.  6 months later my car is producing much less smoke. Also seems a lot more responsive. Might be worth a try. 

The other day after I did everything I mentioned above the smoke seems a little bit reduced ! I did the smell test - felt like diesel!   Isn't 36mpg a poor mileage? Thinking of head gasket- there is no sign of any fluid mixture! Unless oil or coolant goes straight into the cylinders! But I haven't noticed coolant or oil loss or ruff running engine! Like PEACHY mentioned about fuel! I use shell nitro power from the day I bought the car! It was about 2 months ago. Maybe need to look for some additives to oil or diesel?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not the head gasket as it would be chucking smoke even when warm. Mine does exactly the same and as I've mentioned I've had it checked at lexus and everything is fine. It's just something this particular model does. 

Right! Today this morning I disconnected Battery for about an hour and guess what-it worked!!!!!!     Including all my carried work before+ clean egr! I had a 60 mile trip today at various speeds in town and the way to my work with numerous roundabouts! From 36mpg to 41.6mpg and no smoke at all !!!! I call this a success!!!!! Fingers crossed;) my suggestion what ever you do on car,change something or replace parts or simply do a service - disconnect Battery to restart ecu;)  overnight ideally.

Mine has the same issue and at present it's with lexus to be fixed. It's a known issue with the egr valve and cooler which they are replacing as good will for free....

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links