Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ECU Cracked remaps possible?

dougie175

After a bit of reading I noticed that out in the states they seem to have cracked the IS-F ECU allowing for complete tuning, does anyone know if this will also mean they can now tune the IS250 and IS250 also?

I have been looking at Rotrex supercharger setups on the last week but would prefer the ability to have the car tuned rather than doing what has previously been the only option is using the stock ECU and hoping it can get the air to fuel ratio somewhere near right using the MAF, to be fair this seems to have worked incredibly well with good gains for many in the states, but having the ability to actually remap the ECU seems a much better option if it is now available?

Even wonder what sort of gains could be achieved NA on just a tune on the 250, I'm well aware NA engines usually show minimal gains from remapping

There are some companies around saying they can get a maximum of 15% gain from the IS250. Most likely you'll get about 5-10% which probably won't be felt anyway.

Generally it was thought that the ECU couldn't be cracked but I dont know if that is still the case at the moment. Someone mentioned the IS220d ECU being cracked as well so maybe they have been cracked after all.

A supercharger would get you better gains. Take a look at Aimgain Superchargers. Quite pricey but well worth it if you plan on keeping it for a while.

4 minutes ago, rayaans said:

There are some companies around saying they can get a maximum of 15% gain from the IS250. Most likely you'll get about 5-10% which probably won't be felt anyway.

Generally it was thought that the ECU couldn't be cracked but I dont know if that is still the case at the moment. Someone mentioned the IS220d ECU being cracked as well so maybe they have been cracked after all.

A supercharger would get you better gains. Take a look at Aimgain Superchargers. Quite pricey but well worth it if you plan on keeping it for a while.

Yeah think 15% hike on a NA car would be a bit too much, that would be 30bhp or so extra, that's getting up towards the figure the supercharger guys have been achieving, (around 50bhp)

My plan would be to use the remap alongside the supercharger to get it all working perfectly together, Its amazing the superchargers have been working as well as they have with no tuning at all, think it could be a fantastic setup supercharger and also tuned alongside.

I do intent to keep the IS for a good long while, there's nothing on the horizon I like anywhere near as much that I could afford in the next few years so may as well go all out on the IS!

I noticed you mentioned Aimgain Superchargers previously but never actually found anything they are selling? I found this but it states they are running a HKS supercharger http://www.stancenation.com/2013/08/10/aimgain-japan-supercharged-lexus-is250c/

I have managed to get quite a few of the parts required lined up to do an supercharger install, have a mounting plate, pulley and extension studs all lined up on a deal. The rotrex supercharger I would purchase brand new for piece of mind, intercoolers are simple enough to find and I'm capable of making the pipework. I know nothing about dump valves whether re-circulating or atmospheric but I'm sure with enough research could find out which 1 works best on the is and source 1.

The main issue I have with the supercharger is just justifying the expense and huge amount of time involved to build my own setup!

9 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just get an ISF instead of supercharging?

Having said that, I do enjoy reading your modding thread :smile:

Most probably but I have modified ever car I have ever owned, so purchasing an ISF wouldn't actually change anything its not much that I need anymore power I just need projects and cant help myself tinkering.

If I bought an ISF for example there really wouldn't be much I could do with it as its a near perfect car.

Also just looked on Autotrader and no, nowhere near the same cost. I paid £11.5k for mine and its an immaculate example with 34k on when I bought it if I remember rightly. There are 2 ISF's with millage below 40k 1 is £25,000 and the other £27,000 so even if a supercharger cost me £4k I would still be a long way from an ISF, admittedly I would still be a long way from ISF power but again I wouldn't be doing the supercharger because I need more power I really don't I rarely use what is has already, its more doing it because I can and because I enjoy tinkering and seeing what is possible.

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

aarghh got confused, not AIMGAIN supercharger lol, they do cosmetics. I meant ARMA supercharger. They've been running 300hp+ I believe

Yeah unfortunately ARMA stopped making superchargers about 2 years ago and they sold so few they are very difficult to find second hand

28 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Fair enough, I can certainly appreciate the tinkering urge :smile:

Sounds like there are some interesting times ahead for your car.

Yeah potentially, the next step is to get the ride height sorted. I'm not 1 for going silly low I want my car to be as practical as it is from factory, but feels most cars looks more aesthetically pleasing being slightly lower.

From what I have seen and heard, we are of like mind when it comes to modifications.

One of the things that I hate about the Retro Rides forum is that they seem to prefer lowering their cars by stupid amounts.  Seen a few LS400's ruined over there as well as other cars.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how yours goes, so good luck :smile:

• Like 1

I do not see the point in supercharging a car if it cannot be remapped. I dont think theae ecu can be cracked. If anyone comes even close it will be tampering of sensors but that does not give much control.

21 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

From what I have seen and heard, we are of like mind when it comes to modifications.

One of the things that I hate about the Retro Rides forum is that they seem to prefer lowering their cars by stupid amounts.  Seen a few LS400's ruined over there as well as other cars.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how yours goes, so good luck :smile:

Yeah I will be lowering my ride but far from silly low, I've never liked the look of silly low cars

3 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

I do not see the point in supercharging a car if it cannot be remapped. I dont think theae ecu can be cracked. If anyone comes even close it will be tampering of sensors but that does not give much control.

To be fair this ECU does do an incredible job of adjusting the AFR from what I have read. 50bhp seems to be the standard sort of power increase for a 7psi boost which is very impressive I feel.

Complete ECU remapping has been achieved on the ISF ECU not just tweaking sensors so theres a good chance this ECU has either been cracked as well or is on the horizon soon, I imagine it will happen in the states first due to the amount of IS's out there compared to the UK

It has been proven that the car can be reliably power increased with a supercharger, but it would be much nicer to back this up with a remap just really feel the benefits and ensure the ARF is bang on all the time

Supercharger is useless if fuel cannot be increased. What use is more air when there is no petrol being injected. The car will just run lean. A full control with ECU will allow a good feel. Thats my opinion.

12 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

Supercharger is useless if fuel cannot be increased. What use is more air when there is no petrol being injected. The car will just run lean. A full control with ECU will allow a good feel. Thats my opinion.

The maf will see the increased air flow however and adjust fuel accordingly within reason hence the increase in performance proven on several occasions

This is correct, assuming the injectors have the capacity to cope.

However, would the car flip out when it senses positive intake pressure at idle?

14 hours ago, Shahpor said:

This is correct, assuming the injectors have the capacity to cope.

However, would the car flip out when it senses positive intake pressure at idle?

Obviously couldn't confirm as I don't have a supercharger but from what I have read the people who have done it don't seem to suffer idling issues. Ideally I would love to have a play in a supercharged 250 and see first hand what can be achieved.

My worry would be poor ticker over dangerous AFR and generally unrefined feeling, what some people are happy with to gain some power many be different to others, I would want the engine to still feel like it was produced by Lexus but with the added benefit of some extra grunt.

• 4 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links