Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How will the new SHOCKING car tax changes affect you?

HRinacar

Well they won't affect anybody if they don't change their car will it?! 

So essentially it could be argued it's a tax on those who frequently change cars which IMO is fine anyway as they probably have the money to spend on depreciation so what's another £300 in comparison if you have a car over £40k attracting a good £4-7k drop yearly

Makes sense though from my eyes, cars are taking up the road and its a "road tax" for "repairing roads". It's good that it's all somewhat standardised for cars under £40k as they use somewhat the same amount of road.

Cars over £40k tend to be bigger anyway so rightly attract more tax

Hi 

Now ...... Bare with me , say you drive a 09/10 etc Lexus isf (for example) which its in the top road tax bracket (£485)  when the new rules come in , in 2017 , it will go up to over £500 .

Now am I right in saying once a high emission car gets to 7 (guessing) years old (using the new 2017 road tax rules) the road tax drops down ! Does this apply to older cars (like the example I used here)   ??

your thought 

jon

5 hours ago, jonthebarber said:

Hi 

Now ...... Bare with me , say you drive a 09/10 etc Lexus isf (for example) which its in the top road tax bracket (£485)  when the new rules come in , in 2017 , it will go up to over £500 .

Now am I right in saying once a high emission car gets to 7 (guessing) years old (using the new 2017 road tax rules) the road tax drops down ! Does this apply to older cars (like the example I used here)   ??

your thought 

jon

Hi Jon,

The new VED will NOT affect any cars registered before April 2017. Therefore, the 09 ISF you gave an example of will not have any change in the tax price. It will continue to pay the £485 you mentioned.

If you bought an RC-F with its 252g/km CO2in March 2016, you would pay the current rate of £870 (first year) and then £490 per year so over 5 years it would cost you £2830. However, if your new RC-F got delayed by a month and it was registered in April 2017, you would have to pay £1700 in the first year and then £140 a year after that along with the £310 supplement for 5 years as its over £40k. Therefore you would pay £3810 after the changes.

Now the best way to avoid the first year tax is simply to buy a high polluting vehicle like an RC-F after its 1 year old! :)

Hi 

arhhhhhh , got it now . It's really unfair on older emission high cars , they are going to get to a point , with the cost to tax ,  they will be worthless 

:-(

jon

1 hour ago, piasek said:

All this VED is very unfair. I think it should be scrapped and added to the cost of fuel.

For example owner of LS430 registered on 30.03.2006 must pay £295 but owner of the very same car but registered after 31.03.2006 pays £495.

Another example:

LS430 that is emitting 270g of co2 that does 4000 miles a year pays £290 but more environment friendly car that does 30k a year will cause more harm but the owner will pay less.

The VED is not about pollution anymore. The government don't really care about the CO2 and therefore it doesn't really matter how much CO2 your car produces after the first year, it will still be taxed at the same rate as the other cars provided its under £40k.

Fuel duty is already outrageous in this country and adding VED onto it will just make people complain

I think its actually got fairer since 2017 - people with more expensive cars will have to pay more tax - the way I see it, if they can afford to keep changing cars every 3 years then they can afford to pay the extra £310.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links