Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

pretty stumped so thats why im resorting to asking for help from the lexus forum Smile

picked up an IS200 yesterday and everything seemed fine goes, stops and no rattles.

after driving 100 miles home the coolant was boiling in the reservoir. I took the cap of the rad and it was just water in there I filled it up with antifreeze but still the coolant boils like a kettle after a long drive.

theres no oil/coolant mix anywhere, the heaters blow very hot, the thermostat opens and fans come on. 

Ive stook some cardboard under the car to see if I can find a leak but its gone through 1 litre of coolant in around 2 hours.

very slight steam from exhaust but I compared it to my friends '12 plate focus and his was exactly the same (just cold outside)

Maybe the rad cap is buggered and not keeping the pressure to prevent boiling.

Failing that, head gasket issues would be the next guess

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

3rd person to mention this to me so ill pick one up asap.

Fingers crossed its not the headgasket, when i run the engine with the rad cap off there are no bubbles in the coolant. But I believe if the pressure drops so does the boiling point?

put some cardboard under the car this morning and found a small puddle under the radiator.

there was some stones stuck in the rad and it was wet on the bottom corner.

I've ripped out the rad pack splut the rad off and ordered a new one fingers crossed it'll be ok

• 4 months later...

Sounds like your head gasket is knackered. ..where the fans working?..radiator fans I mean..check that first..1G-FE are tough..very tough..my rad failed..temp gauge went right to edge of the red zone..and the engine cut off..didn't start till the engine cooled and I topped it with anti freeze and water ..used the car for about a week before I notice a big puddle of water under the car...I topped up and drove to my mechanic..red was replaced 7k ago..engine is fine..I be actually been to Germany and back..not a drop of oil or water used on 1000 miles ..163k..not out..is200 sport..6spd..daily commuter

this was happening to my is 200 tried to flush coolant with liqui molly radiator flush no joy so full engine strip down . i think the radiators on the is 200 are pretty crappy take a look on japspeed buy alloy 1 this might sort youre problem as the is 200 radiator seems pants 

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem with my Supra, the coolant was boiling and did overflow all over the bonnet while on motorway,

It turned out to be the main crankshaft pulley inner seperated by the outer (the rubber ring came off) and the aux belt would not drive the waterpump properly if any.

Worth checking?