Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everybody!
Last week I've finally sold my previous car (2013 BMW 528xi) and became happy owner of brand new 2016 Lexus GS300h (EU version).
I'd like to compare both cars from my perspective, as 5 series is still alive in my memory and producer's lineup. First of all i have to mention, how excellent reviews of 5 series there are and how mostly bad reviews of GS i have seen across internet. Reality is "slightly" different. Both cars i purchased have the same pricing - 54000,-€ but very different equipment. BMW i owned was very basic. There are only two things my GS is missing - AWD and High performance. Performance and top speed of 250km/h is something i can't legally use, so it's not issue. Xdrive was great, but had almost no snow past 3 winters. So not a problem. In GS i got much more comfort and safety features which i missed in BMW:
1, Metallic paint
2, Leather
3, Sat navigation
4, not Mark Levinson, but much better audio system
5, LED headlights, much better than BMW xenons, automatic high beam
6, Full power front seats
7, Driver's memory seat
8, front seats heated and cooled
9, Huge screen
10, Auto folding mirrors
11, Dimming inside mirror
12, Keyless entry
13, power trunk
14, Lane Keeping Assist
15, Adaptive Cruise Control
16, Pre collision system
17, Rear Cross Traffic Alert
18, DVD player
19, DAB tuner
20, power steering column
21, reverse camera
22, Traffic Signs recognition

It is clear Lexus gives much more for the same money.
In the showroom among neon colored cars, the GS was little disregarded. Parked on street it makes heads turning, especially gentlemen.
Getting in Lexus is much different than getting in new bimmers. Nothing cracks, squeaks...  You just feel that fine touch and nice flavor of smooth leather. I had no leather in 5 series, but i have Dakota leather in 1 series, which looks like leatherette beside Lexus leather. Seating position was good in 5 series, but is better in Lexus. Steering wheel was better in BMW, this one is great in size and shape, but could be softer.
The biggest critics I've read were all about infotainment.
I have to say, it is different than BMW but really not bad. It IS intuitive and equally easy to use. Plus here is much bigger screen. Remote touch Joystick is nice and accurate.
Another usual critics are about drivetrain.
1, Engine is smooth and quiet, much smoother and quieter than petrol BMW 4 cylinder. I can ride windows down without any rattling sounds coming from outside even when before engine warms up.
2, Engine is powerful enough. Despite I don't fell any force, car accelerates very nice and smooth, almost noiseless.
3, CVT is very different than standard Auto. For cruising it is great. For racing maybe not. But GS is cruiser, not racer wink.gif
3, Fuel economy is great. 528ix took 8,1-8,2 l/100km GS300h takes 5,5-5,7 l/100km. It is about 29 US/34 UK MPG vs 42 US/50 UK MPG

And finally, everybody who tried both of my cars, likes GS much more than my previous car.

IMGP6445.jpg

IMGP6455.jpg

IMGP6456.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rado and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

Brilliant car except for that frontage, its just a personal thing but to me it looks like something out of a Mad Max movie.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike

9 hours ago, Zotto said:

Welcome to another GS satisfied owner :)

If you miss performance, set to SPORT mode your new car and have fun.

Hi Luigi,

i really do not miss that performance. Meanwhile i tried to drive on a twisty road in a Sport mode and i've found it has much more power if I push throttle continuously down, rather than floor it immediately. Usually I drive very slowly within legal limits, being overtaken by Dacias, Fabias, VWs...

8 hours ago, rayaans said:

Looking sharp - I think you are the first facelifted GS owner on the forum!

I think there are only very few 4th gen. GS owners here in Slovak Republic. In my hometown, I didn't met any yet. Occasionally i see the same CT, the same RX and the same 3 older IS models.

7 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Hi Rado and welcome to the LOC, we are a friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer left over.

Brilliant car except for that frontage, its just a personal thing but to me it looks like something out of a Mad Max movie.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

i was visiting LOC months ago. I was searching for owners experience.

Oh Yes, that front is very controversial on photo, but in real it is less "Mad". Originally i wanted to order red RC300h, beige leather, but this one was 4000€ cheaper and immediately available. I prefer not to wait for 4 months.

Best choice, RC 300h has more aggressive shapes, but technically GS is more practical and refined than that sporty coupé, that has more sense with a bigger engine.

GS is more practical, but RC is more stylish. I was also considering weight distribution, because of possible snowy winters. I liked more low seating position in RC.

2 hours ago, arkviz said:

GS is more practical, but RC is more stylish. I was also considering weight distribution, because of possible snowy winters. I liked more low seating position in RC.

I agree, RC has a very sport image, but it has more sense with a powerful engine , and the suspensions scheme is taken from GS for front and IS for rear. Also price of Rc 300h is in the middle from IS and GS, so you made a good deal buying GS.

Brief story how did I fell in love with Lexus: Back in 2013 i switched from smooth 6 cylinder petrol BMW to 4 cylinder petrol turbo. Despite that car was mechanically reliable and relatively cheap to run, i didn't like it, because it felt like rattling diesel Peugeot. Once I was passing through Bratislava (200km from my home) and stopped at the only Lexus dealer in our country. IS300h was brand new car then. I was surprised how nicely it is put together, it didn't felt one class lower but at least the same level like 5 series. Dealer offered me a test drive and i was impressed. IS250 was favorite... But my BMW was still almost new and i had to wait. Last summer i read about new turbocharged IS and my dream about smooth Japanese V6 was gone. Dealer told me, that they have one promo car, but not a new one. Unfortunately otherwise beautiful car smelled from cigarettes. I tried later also 200t and it was much better than BMW in terms of NVH, but still a 4 cylinder. After long consideration which would be the best i made myself a small pdf from site configurator:
1, RC300h Luxury must be red only
2, IS300h Luxury black
3, RC300h Comfort Navi must be red only
4, GS300h Comfort Plus Leather black
5, GS450h very basic black
450h was included only for 6 cylinder smoothness, not for power. 300h is just enough for me :) GS300h I've chosen was the closest to no. 4 from my list and available immediately. Dealer has also IS300h exactly what i want but he told me it is sold. One RC was available too, but it was white. For other cars i had to wait.

Lexus_uzsi_vyber.pdf

• Like 1

Today after week of driving, under slight load sometimes and still more often i hear sound similar to metal bucket resonance. I guess it is coming from exhaust. I didn't realized this on demo car. Maybe i have only sensible ears...