Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My boot (trunk) won't open! Help! Lexus GS 300 1997 Auto.

Hi. I am brand new to Lexus ownership, and brand new to this site. I would appreciate a bit of help, please.

I purchased a lovely old Lexus GS 300 Auto (1997) from Auto Trader. It runs beautifully and is a smooth ride. So far, so good!

The only problem is, I can't get the boot (trunk) open, even though the garage from which I bought my Lexus assures me they could!

I had it checked out by my local garage, which I have used for years, and which I trust, and they couldn't get the book to open, try as they might.

My local garage has suggested the absence of a second key might be the problem. Are they right? (I only have one key, for the ignition.)

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is such a nice car otherwise. 

I am willing to buy another key if necessary, or to pay a reasonable amount for a successful solution.

Many thanks.

What ways have you tried to open it?

Inside where the release lever is, there is a key hole which is also a push button. If that has been pressed in, it disables the boot release lever. Your key should fit it and allow the button to pop back out, the release lever should then work.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Many thanks, TigerFish.

I have tried the Release Lever: No joy.

I have tried the button/lock next to the Release Lever: No joy.

I have tried the lock on the boot itself: No joy.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

TigerFish, I have just double checked, following the advice you gave.

The button/lock next to the Release Lever is depressed. I have tried turning the key anti-clockwise, as per the instruction in the manual, to no effect. Nothing happens.

Okay friends - latest update: My local Lexus people (bearing in mind this issue has already beaten my non-Lexus garage) are asking the ridiculous sum of £150 per hour just to look at the problem.

That's crazy, so I am appealing to this forum for some help, please!

Thanks.

Edited by Champanspice
Additional contant

Does sound like you only have the valet key (the button on the release is there to stop valets being able to open it so the fact your key won't unlock it makes sense, or he boot direct - you probably can't lock the glove box with it either)

Next best bet would be removing the panel with the release lever on it, and bypassing the lock using the wiring direct.

Thanks very much, TIgerFish. That makes a lot of sense, but as I know nothing whatever about mechanics, I would be very reluctant to start fiddling about with wiring (I can hear my wife laughing as we speak!). 

Haha, fair enough. Shouldn't be too complicated though, even if it is just to get the push button popped back up (unlocked) :)

Where are you based?

If you have a half decent garage nearby they should be able to release the lock on the boot release at a reasonable price.

If you were nearer I would have done it for you.

I have a spare owner's manual for the early GS300 if you need one, send me a PM with your address details and I'll pop it in the post to you

Many thanks, steve2006. As you will see from the posts above this one, I have already had this problem checked by my very reliable local garage (a garage I have used umpteen times). They too are scratching their heads! I have the owner's manual, thanks, and I've tried everything it suggests, but to no avail - thanks all the same.

Thanks once again, TigerFish. I'm based in St. Albans. Tomorrow afternoon (Saturday), I'm taking the Lexus back to the original garage, where I bought it. They have agreed to carry out a free investigation and repair. Here's hoping!

I just want to say THANKS EVERYONE, for all the help and advice I received in response to my query. The problem is now sorted, thanks to some great customer service from Allway Cars in Barking E13. I am very grateful to everyone who chipped in with comments.:yes:

• 1 year later...