Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A heads on cleaning interior glass!

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, dougie175 said:

Picked up one of these 39p badboys, seems ridiculously cheap compared to all other glass cleaning cloths I have seen but fingers crossed it works!

So cleaned my glass with some Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner until the glass looked perfectly clean like usual, then I polished the glass with this new cloth as instructed, fingers crossed this is the finishing touch my glass has been missing when the sun catches the glass on the awful angle that usually produces glare

Thanks very much for tip Rayaan

597667169ee43_2017-06-1113_02_31.thumb.jpg.3666e682a57bd80f8e257e7c27bab4d8.jpg

Yep that's the one. Works for me each time as long as you've got every bit. 

I find it does grab a bit initially on each wipe but after that initial phase it glides quite well

7 hours ago, steveledzep said:

On The Times that I use newspaper I can see The Sun without smears and The Star(s) too through a Mirror like finish.  You're clearly not scrunching it properly :laughing:

Sense of humour by-pass in these parts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steveledzep said:

On The Times that I use newspaper I can see The Sun without smears and The Star(s) too through a Mirror like finish.  You're clearly not scrunching it properly :laughing:

He's obviously being too "Independent" in his thinking.  Clearly a "Mail"  I prefer to be an "Observer" with this thread!

• Like 1

Very clever gents!

No sun to speak of since cleaning with the new cloth but even so still so far so good, waiting for a nice setting sun that seems to be the usual worst time to see anything on the screen, fingers crossed for a bit of sun soon so I can report back

1 hour ago, dougie175 said:

Very clever gents!

No sun to speak of since cleaning with the new cloth but even so still so far so good, waiting for a nice setting sun that seems to be the usual worst time to see anything on the screen, fingers crossed for a bit of sun soon so I can report back

However, if you had an LS your rear window would always have smears on the inside as it's simply impossible to clean.  The 400 was bad, but the 430 is far worse.

Well today was the first sunny day since cleaning the glass and i can confirm this little cloth works an absolute treat. Not a single smear no matter how much sun hit the screen from any angle. 

Top cleaning tip and an absolute bargain especially when it's cheaper than most newspapers he he

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

old newspapers are great at cleaning and polishing glass. I'm so doddery now that my other half cleans the inside of the car warm water/VINIGAR is what she uses, handed down through the female line, never argue screen always clear and bright never any residue left on glass .

• 1 year later...
Have you ever cleaned interior glass with a normal microfiber and realised there's always some form of smear left behind? I have and it drives me nuts!
Ive used a lot of glass cleaners all with the same, and then different microfiber cloths. Some are obviously better than others at stopping the smearing but they all do it to some extent.
So, the worst for smearing is "Astonish Glass cleaner with Anti Fog". Its so bad it almost makes you blind in the sunlight!
Well anyway, I picked up a "CleanIt Ultra Glass polishing cloth" from Home Bargains for 39p or something and used a normal microfiber to apply the Astonish glass cleaner. It left so many smears even after 5 minutes on one glass!!
Pulled the Home bargains glass cloth out and gave it a quick buff and voila! Smears are gone! Highly recommend it and its made my glass cleaning routine much easier and faster!

If there any water marks dried on I use Maguires glass cleaner then 50/50 white vinegar sprayed onto a cloth not onto the actual glass then finish off with a fine mist of Maguires glass cleaner again and decent clean dry microfiber- comes up superb

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get  the homebargains one at the moment but there is an E-Cloth one 50x40cm on amazon at £3.81. Wilko have a 60x60cm at £3.00. Lakeland and eBay ones 40x40cm £2.69ish.

What is the optimum size? Do you tend to use them scrunched-up of folded for best results? Thanks.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:32 PM, JeffL said:

I can't get  the homebargains one at the moment but there is an E-Cloth one 50x40cm on Amazon at £3.81. Wilko have a 60x60cm at £3.00. Lakeland and eBay ones 40x40cm £2.69ish.

What is the optimum size? Do you tend to use them scrunched-up of folded for best results? Thanks.

You don't need anything massive. I generally use it scrunched up as its quite grabby. Poundstretcher and the likes do it too.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone tried the fish scale microfibre glass cloths?  Just wondering if they are any better than the usual close-weave glass cloths?

https://www.paragonmicrofibre.com/product/fishscale-glass-cloth/?attribute_pa_size=s&attribute_pa_color=1e73be&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoM-Ioe7b3QIVLrXtCh1wbwjlEAQYASABEgJyvfD_BwE

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I splashed out £2.99 on one of these from lidl:

attachment.php?s=28453c649a6e176359bf4dc

Omg, it's fantastic! 

I am finding myself moving toward terry cloth for cleaning glass because I find any microfibre tends to leave lots and lots of little fibres left on the glass. Using the above stick to push a terrycloth around made cleaning the front and rear screens in the GS SOOOOOOO much easier than all the usual stretching and reaching . 

Our GS, though, has some sort of greasy build-up on the insides of the side windows particularly - neither glass cleaner nor meths will shift it. A quick rub with glass polish got it off in a test patch though, so I'm going to have to go around and do that job properly.

A couple of weeks ago I splashed out £2.99 on one of these from lidl:
attachment.php?s=28453c649a6e176359bf4dc3d7ab503a%26attachmentid=48276%26d=1475349415&key=e064f0d33f5b5c6f85c75f097501f477c1b26ef832705763a55ab6a90dcb3f2d
Omg, it's fantastic! 
I am finding myself moving toward terry cloth for cleaning glass because I find any microfibre tends to leave lots and lots of little fibres left on the glass. Using the above stick to push a terrycloth around made cleaning the front and rear screens in the GS SOOOOOOO much easier than all the usual stretching and reaching . 

Our GS, though, has some sort of greasy build-up on the insides of the side windows particularly - neither glass cleaner nor meths will shift it. A quick rub with glass polish got it off in a test patch though, so I'm going to have to go around and do that job properly.
Autoglym glass polish is fantastic stuff and is very good for deep cleaning

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I found that AG glass polish worked ok-ish, but Gtechniq G4 was WAY more effective - wow, never experienced anything like it with any of many glass polishes that I've tried. 

A few weeks ago a fox walked over my car leaving two paw prints on the windscreen.  I've cleaned and cleaned it, even using Barkeepers Friend as some have suggested, still I can see the paw prints in certain lights.  What's all that about then?

3 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

A few weeks ago a fox walked over my car leaving two paw prints on the windscreen.  I've cleaned and cleaned it, even using Barkeepers Friend as some have suggested, still I can see the paw prints in certain lights.  What's all that about then?

Scratches I presume

4 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

You'll need to use a glass polish and next time put a sign up "no animals to walk on car" that should do it.

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Scratches I presume

No, this is what I can't understand. No scratches just two paw shapes. I've tried everything. Its not a problem as it's close to the edge but it's odd that it just won't go.

1 hour ago, Comedian said:

You'll need to use a glass polish and next time put a sign up "no animals to walk on car" that should do it.

I had considered that but southern foxes are poorly educated with weak reading skills!

No, this is what I can't understand. No scratches just two paw shapes. I've tried everything. Its not a problem as it's close to the edge but it's odd that it just won't go.
Only other option would be to try carpro ceriglass. Hard work by hand mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Try Gtechniq G4 - it has proven very effective at removing strange contaminations on ours. It is not just an abrasive polish, but appears to also be chemically effective. Apply using a microfibre for best effect. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  There's a YouTube video that I wouldn't suggest anyone copies, but I confess I did.  It involves using 0000 steel wool and RainX glass cleaner.  Even that didn't shift it.  As I say, it's not a problem because it's just about out of the wiper sweep area, I'm just very curious to know why it's there.

Regarding the inside of the windscreen, I'd always assumed it was deposits (fumes etc) in the air.

Looking at a YouTube video, they reckon it comes from the PVC on the dashboard.

Of course, if you have leather, that cancels that idea out. 🙂