Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Beam Conversion for driving in Europe

The beam doesn't need adjusting for European driving. There's a technical term that I can never remember. Someone will I'm sure

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

That's my experience too. If a vehicle has HID headlights then the beam pattern is flat. There is no kick up at the edges to throw light up at the kerbside. So you don't need stick on deflectors. More pertinently .... when did you ever see a french car with headlight deflectors in the UK?

Some on here had a letter from Lexus GB. I keep a copy in my glovebox so its there to show if needed. I did actually show to a friendly gendarme (honestly he really was) .. he smiled, shrugged his shoulders and said "Oui". All you need do is copy and paste, and substitute IS300H in the relevant places and then print.

This is the note

Dear Sir

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the IS 250 do not need to be
converted for travel on the continent. 
The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (I-AFS)

is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive

Translated by Google Translate

16 Septembre 2013

Monsieur

Merci pour votre plus email.

Je peux confirmer que les HID (High Intensity Discharge) phares sur le IS 250 n'ont pas besoin d'être convertis pour les
voyages sur le continent. La mise en place du projecteur est telle que la lumière brille dans un faisceau plat horizontal qui n'a pas de coup de pied et en tant que telle n'est pas éblouissant pour les conducteurs venant en sens
inverse des voitures.

Comme vous l'avez suggéré, nous recommandons que le système frontal de l'éclairage adaptatif intelligent (I-AFS) soit éteint
lorsque vous voyagez sur le continent.

Cordialement

Claire Newman

Relations exécutif à la clientèle

• Like 1

Hi ,Normski, thanks, you have triumphed once again ,This was on my list of jobs prior to our trip to the continent later this year . We have gone across for the last 15 years in an MX 5 and had to put various stickers on the headlights ;this time we intend to go in our 'grown up ' convertible IS 250 .I will keep a copy in the glovebox .The next job is to get a spare wheel as I do not like the idea of stopping on the motorway with no spare .The MX 5 had no spare but we travelled as a club and a couple of cars had spare spacesavers we could share in an emergency .

Dave

• Like 1

Glad to be of help.

My missus has an MX-5. Smashing little cars. Now that we do need the deflectors for as it has good old halogens.

We took the MX to Lake Annecy and on to Chamonix. With the roof down, that car really came into its element up in the mountain passes. The views were just amazing. It was a tad cramped on the longer parts of the journey though. We also had to travel fairly light.

Did a similar trip last year down to the Auvergne region ... but in the IS250 .... lovely way to travel.

This year we are off to nearish to Bergerac. Can we find a suitable property??? Retirement beckons with a warm smile..... and a glass or two of the red stuff. 

• Like 1

You may find you are overwhelmed with attractive properties in the greater Bergerac area. Choosing might be the hardest part. Lovely lush countryside and very warm in mid summer but nothing that a cold beer can't fix.  We are also tempted! 

• Like 1

I now have a letter, under the Lexus Uk letter head, stating that no adjustment is needed to IS300h headlights. when driving in Europe,

because of the flat-beam configuration.

Allan

Lexus letter will be great help if ever stopped and of course also makes one properly 'legal'.  Any chance of copying or scanning the letter into this site so I can print it and keep in the car.?  

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, normski2 said:

when did you ever see a french car with headlight deflectors in the UK?

True for all drivers coming from the continent.

The one that gets my goat is British drivers who are quick to stick the beam converters onto their headlights before a two week trip to the continent... and then leave them in place the rest of the year after their holiday!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigChange said:

Lexus letter will be great help if ever stopped and of course also makes one properly 'legal'.  Any chance of copying or scanning the letter into this site so I can print it and keep in the car.?  

Scroll back up a bit its right there in italics.

Thanks Norski2.  Already have yours copied out and just thought that Allan's letter on letterhead might carry more weight.  As it happens was once stopped when using fog lights at dusk, for better visibility I thought.  Motorcycle gendarme (the serious ones) pulled me over and wanted to know "where is the fog". Stumped me at first. Hadn't realised you are only supposed to use fog lights in France when there is fog.  Seems plenty of French drivers don't know that !. 

3 hours ago, BigChange said:

Thanks Norski2.  Already have yours copied out and just thought that Allan's letter on letterhead might carry more weight.  As it happens was once stopped when using fog lights at dusk, for better visibility I thought.  Motorcycle gendarme (the serious ones) pulled me over and wanted to know "where is the fog". Stumped me at first. Hadn't realised you are only supposed to use fog lights in France when there is fog.  Seems plenty of French drivers don't know that !. 

I have always thought that this applied in the UK too.  Perhaps I am mistaken. 

For Normski,  Here is the letter from Lexus UK regarding the flat beam on IS300h HID lights. Print quality a little weak, but you may be able to copy it. Best of luck.Lexus HID in Europe.jpeg

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2016 at 8:20 PM, normski2 said:

Glad to be of help.

My missus has an MX-5. Smashing little cars. Now that we do need the deflectors for as it has good old halogens.

We took the MX to Lake Annecy and on to Chamonix. With the roof down, that car really came into its element up in the mountain passes. The views were just amazing. It was a tad cramped on the longer parts of the journey though. We also had to travel fairly light.

Did a similar trip last year down to the Auvergne region ... but in the IS250 .... lovely way to travel.

This year we are off to nearish to Bergerac. Can we find a suitable property??? Retirement beckons with a warm smile..... and a glass or two of the red stuff. 

Hi Normski

Not sure whether your reference to finding a property was for a purchase, but if you're looking for somewhere to stay very near to Bergerac I can heartily recommend http://www.beausoleilholidays.com/

We're due to visit there on Sunday ...... subject to the fuel strikes of course !!!!!

Regards

• Like 1

On 16/05/2016 at 8:27 PM, Allan L said:

For Normski,  Here is the letter from Lexus UK regarding the flat beam on IS300h HID lights. Print quality a little weak, but you may be able to copy it. Best of luck.Lexus HID in Europe.jpeg

Allan

Does anyone know whether this also applies for a UK 2006 IS 250 SE-L's headlights?

Allan

Does anyone know whether this also applies for a UK 2006 IS 250 SE-L's headlights?

Only if they are flat beam HIDs. Easy enough to check against a wall or garage door. If they are flat all the way across, then good to go, if they have a wedge of light going up from the flat top of the beam, you'll need the patches.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, headlight converters are not a legal requirement on the continent. The legal requirement is to not dazzle oncoming traffic.

• 3 years later...

Hello Guys, I am driving to Europe soon and I have Lexus IS250 2010 would I need these stickers please for the head lamps ?

lexus head lamps.jpeg

I've always assumed that the raised bit of headlamp beam was intended to illuminate any pedestrians for safety reasons. Strange that HID lamps are exempt.

32 minutes ago, reeac said:

I've always assumed that the raised bit of headlamp beam was intended to illuminate any pedestrians for safety reasons. Strange that HID lamps are exempt.

It's because HID lamps have a flat beam with no kick up to the left for righthand drive cars so no beam deflectors are required.

John

• 10 months later...
On 5/10/2016 at 1:23 PM, Allan L said:

:wink3:

Is there a method of adjusting the headlight beam on an 2015 IS300h or do I need a stick-on converter ?

Allan