Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is200 sport auto suspension screeching/metal on metal noise

mista_khan

Hi

abit of a dilemma at the moment, my is200 has gone really weird over sat night. when im turning the steering either way, mostly under load and not much when on a jack, its making a damn loud screeching noise, like metal grinding on metal and its only coming from the front driver side wheel /suspension. Ive had it checked on the ramp on 2 different garages, both say there is no play in any components inc cv joint, track rods, no visible signs of any issues either. They have wd40 the components connecting the wheels to the car etc, no luck. What on earth could it be? it was fine on Friday , I didn't hit anything or do anything that could cause this issue. the one garage did say it sounds like the track rod, yet the other garage confirmed there's no movement in any of the components so I have a feeling if I change the track rod it might not make any difference.

video attached although its way more louder on different level of ground. (ignore the knocking noise its my keys hitting the dash lol)

http://vid1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff509/mista_khan/IMG_23481.mp4

any help lads?

I am a bit shocked really that the garages you took this to could not find the fault

Surely having two people involved would surely identify where the noise is coming from (one turning the steering wheel and the other in the wheel arch (presuming the wheel is off))

I would change your garage to be honest. You could narrow it down yourself by using a sound bar or stethoscope with the help of another person - the noise will always be heard through vibration through other components but it will be more intense where the noise is emanating from. Get someone to sit in the car and turn the steering wheel. Someone in the wheel arch with the sound bar or stethoscope. Safety first though, make sure the car is securely on jacks

• Like 1

amazing right, I mean they cant find anything, I was the one turning the steering, although the first garage did use this bar thing that is for sound and he said the noise is loudest from track rod, but no play so his saying it could be and it cant be. shall I just take it to ats for a free check lol?

20 minutes ago, mista_khan said:

amazing right, I mean they cant find anything, I was the one turning the steering, although the first garage did use this bar thing that is for sound and he said the noise is loudest from track rod, but no play so his saying it could be and it cant be. shall I just take it to ats for a free check lol?

or take it to a Lexus garage?

Went back to the garage, they checked it again, they think its the steering rack , but they said its safe to drive as everything else seems tight.

question is, with the engine off, key out, does the power steering/rack be off? Because im turning the steering with it being off and its still makes that creeking noise and its only coming from driver side footwell.

also i have no loss in power steering with engine on?

16 minutes ago, jimcufc said:

Have you checked that all the bolts are tight on the rack and supsension like top mounts etc.?

And check the power sterring fluid t00

They checked most of the suspension components, didnt check mounts tbh, also the fluid is just above max level when warm. I been reading online similar noise to mine goes away after changing from anti roll bars? 

Also ive noticed even when holding steering wheel tight and not i tentionally turning, it still makes the noise so im thinking it might not even be the rack as surely rack is used when turning the steering or am wrong?

Update

finally had it taken to ats, they had it on the ramp, they used wd40 on the parts connected to the suspension but mostly on the upper arm as they said theres some movement in the upper arm and it seens to be playing. Took it for a drive for 5 mins had no noise. Drove it back now and the noise is slowly coming back, question is i asked them how sure they are that its the upper arm on driver side(wishbone) , they said they cant be certain, so thats like changing parts without knowing if that part is the problem? Would a upper arm with play in it cause a deep screeching metal sound when steering the car at under 35mph ?