Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have had a look through previous posts and can only find one option I could try but the cost at £400 is not an option.

The radio reception on the FM channels on the ML unit in my car does not seem to be as good as it has been. I do have an issue with the DVD and normal CD's not working. MP3's and AUX channel is fine. Anyone have a resolved issue with their radio reception?

Does anyone know if there is an aerial connection port on the back of the unit? I have had it out before but cannot remember seeing one (wasn't looking at that at that time) Was thinking if there was, I may be able to run a wire to act as an antenna to the car body or a good pickup point for a signal?

You should not simply run a wire.

You should locate the antenna and see if it has moved or something. Antenna location is very important (Standing Wave Ratio ruins the performance and is subject to.location of antenna among many other things). There will be a coax cable and there is a port behind ML I think in blue for the antenna. Make sure everything is to Lexus spec even routing of the cable, can't emphasize enough on this.

I never use FM as I find it low quality audio and dated. DAB is better but can't match DVD. Obviously radio has its own purpose I guess... 

Camera might have emissions and the cable you run for camera might not be quality cable and act as an antenna and this affect FM in car. And most camera have emissions between 100 to 200MHZ if not designed properly for intended use. Very plausable FM screws up.

There is a lot of thinking, designing and testing done when a single cable is routed or electrics added to a car. 

There is a lot of voodoo to it. Sometimes clamping ferrite can help but needs to be done properly.

The reason I always say 'lexus know what they are doing or did. If they didn't ask you to change or add something, don't'

The closet you can get is to always buy OE things and follow them exactly how they did it. Even so, there will be many things e.g. cable tie or that piece of tape that we will miss but will be absolutly critical in lexus books.

Good point about the camera - I have one fitted but never considered that and it could coincide with when it was fitted. I will unplug it later on today as it is not hard wired and see if the reception improves ....

If it's not the camera or wiring to it itself, (very likely it is though, I agree completely with jackcramerr) just double check where power was taken for it. The antenna coax feed comes from the rear through the centre column and past the cig lighter socket into the reasr of the ML so quite possible there is a nick or even dislodged the connector slightly when they opened up for the connection. The coax connector is roughly alongside the the door for the cup holder in the centre console.. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links