Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Build thread section

dougie175

Just wondering if it would be possible to get a build thread section on the forum?

I notice there are quite a few builds on the go but it's really unclear where to put 1 and they seem to be scattered about all over the place. I would like to follow others work but often find I miss most build threads from others as I don't have the same model as them so don't come across the threads as much. 

May be a good area for those of us who enjoy tinkering to share ideas and gain inspiration between models?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who who is the best person to PM regarding a new section? This section seems to get quite a few suggestions but with no movement on any of them, maybe a PM would work better?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on this, I think a dedicated build thread section would be great! Most forums I've been on had a garage section where you could create your own thread so you can update the progress of you're car, must be a lot of owners that would like to share there work.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Still asking for this or a response if possible, ideally due to low forum usage just 1 build thread section for all the models then it would allow us to share builds of different models and share ideas, hopefully it would allow a few of us to interact with different people to normal as most people seem to stick to their own car model on here.

If I'm the only 1 who thinks it would be a good idea let me know but if others would find it interesting please stick a reply down so the admins can see it would be of interest and we could ask to have a few builds moved across to share ideas and hopefully make the forum a bit busier

Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 9:57 PM, dougie175 said:

Have a feeling I may have to resort to begging admin for this one.....

@dougie175 A few votes and supporting comments, no one against the idea so far but maybe there isn't such a great desire for it here? Perhaps you need to start a petition and organize a march for modifiers rights. :yes: A few subtle posts in some of the more popular places might draw more attention to the idea and prompt others to chime in. I have a 33 page build thread on a different forum but I've shown very little of the work detail on here as there doesn't seem to be the appetite for it. I hope I'm completely wrong but no response to a suggestion in over a year....... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neil E said:

@dougie175 A few votes and supporting comments, no one against the idea so far but maybe there isn't such a great desire for it here? Perhaps you need to start a petition and organize a march for modifiers rights. :yes: A few subtle posts in some of the more popular places might draw more attention to the idea and prompt others to chime in. I have a 33 page build thread on a different forum but I've shown very little of the work detail on here as there doesn't seem to be the appetite for it. I hope I'm completely wrong but no response to a suggestion in over a year....... 

Hi Neil, you may well be right about their being no desire for it, but if there is no section people like yourself will continue to post threads on other forums as there is nowhere to correctly put them on this site and its difficult for them to be seen by enough people to create much of a discussion and make it worth while, the fact you have a 33 page build thread on another forum indicates there are people out there interested and doing builds they just don't seem to share them on here, it seems a shame!

I know a lot of this forum are only into standard cars but that doesn't stop you having a build thread and showing off your progress with maintenance and such, lets face it if you have no interest at all you wouldn't join a forum in the first place.

I have a feeling it may be a case of there's no where to show your builds that are seen by the right members so no one bothers and just sticks it on another US forum usually seems daft to take people away from the forum unless they don't want our type here in the first place?

This being a Lexus forum for Lexus people

b76fa481d1b008baa64c4766fae53d35.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Hi Neil, you may well be right about their being no desire for it, but if there is no section people like yourself will continue to post threads on other forums as there is nowhere to correctly put them on this site and its difficult for them to be seen by enough people to create much of a discussion and make it worth while, the fact you have a 33 page build thread on another forum indicates there are people out there interested and doing builds they just don't seem to share them on here, it seems a shame!

I know a lot of this forum are only into standard cars but that doesn't stop you having a build thread and showing off your progress with maintenance and such, lets face it if you have no interest at all you wouldn't join a forum in the first place.

I have a feeling it may be a case of there's no where to show your builds that are seen by the right members so no one bothers and just sticks it on another US forum usually seems daft to take people away from the forum unless they don't want our type here in the first place?

This being a Lexus forum for Lexus people

The LOC is a good place full of knowledgeable contributors and I'm not here to run it down at all. I just think you make an excellent point that a section for build threads would enhance the experience for many yet it hasn't received a response from Admin in far too long. There are a few build/progress threads scattered around but I agree it's mostly faults, repairs, advice, opinion, banter and a lot of owner/enthusiasts who rely heavily or solely on main dealers and other professionals to maintain their cars in good order. That's all great but we and clearly a few others, would be interested to see the creative work of fellow owners in the same section where they might feel more comfortable constructing longer threads among folk with a similar outlook.

It doesn't have to be exiled to the US forum, there are other places closer to home but shouldn't it be available here too? 

In the case of the IS model, I'm sure many would be interested in what you might do, including the very active ISF section. There's a lesser audience for my SC430 but there may be some things that other model owners might find interesting or they may just drop by out of curiosity to view the latest innovation or wild idea. The other day we were debating/exploring the idea of dropping a 1UR-GSE 5.0 into an SC430. Maybe it should go into an IS250 for the ultimate sleeper or an IS250C perhaps? Probably a bonkers, mission impossible and far too expensive venture but if someone was mad enough to do it, why wouldn't it be documented on here in a build thread area instead of being tucked away in the specific model forum?   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neil E said:1

The LOC is a good place full of knowledgeable contributors and I'm not here to run it down at all. I just think you make an excellent point that a section for build threads would enhance the experience for many yet it hasn't received a response from Admin in far too long. There are a few build/progress threads scattered around but I agree it's mostly faults, repairs, advice, opinion, banter and a lot of owner/enthusiasts who rely heavily or solely on main dealers and other professionals to maintain their cars in good order. That's all great but we and clearly a few others, would be interested to see the creative work of fellow owners in the same section where they might feel more comfortable constructing longer threads among folk with a similar outlook.

It doesn't have to be exiled to the US forum, there are other places closer to home but shouldn't it be available here too? 

In the case of the IS model, I'm sure many would be interested in what you might do, including the very active ISF section. There's a lesser audience for my SC430 but there may be some things that other model owners might find interesting or they may just drop by out of curiosity to view the latest innovation or wild idea. The other day we were debating/exploring the idea of dropping a 1UR-GSE 5.0 into an SC430. Maybe it should go into an IS250 for the ultimate sleeper or an IS250C perhaps? Probably a bonkers, mission impossible and far too expensive venture but if someone was mad enough to do it, why wouldn't it be documented on here in a build thread area instead of being tucked away in the specific model forum?   

Exactly mate I know if I move my build thread to the US forums it will generate interest but I don't want too! If al builds were together there's every chance a nice little mod you do on your SC430 would appeal to me and it would be interesting to me this would lead to more people meeting each other and chatting making a more active forum hopefully.

I know admins haven't done anything about this but to be honest in my usage on the forum I have never actually seen a post by admin? I don't even know which members are the admins?

Yeah the ISF section is very busy and seems to have some good banter in there which would be great for the forum if it wasn't always contained to just a single model, they don't let my type in there you need 8 cylinders not 6 to play with the big boys hehe

I love the idea of a 1UR-GSE 5.0 into an IS! Sounds like a budget ISF build to me! Hmmmm you've just given me a really really silly idea

• Like 2

The ISF boys will welcome anyone. They are a great bunch, I only have 2 doors and a foldaway roof and they talk to me. I will send you a V8 badge to stick on the boot and 2 sets of twin tail pipes, no one will know. :cool: 

I will go off in search of Admin or we could just use a naughty swear word like ummmm...... 'Toyota!' and wait to see if one appears.

• Like 1

Okay, PM sent to Global Moderator.

Just speed-read through your build thread (not just the videos and pictures.) Awesome work Robb, the car looks really good.

I smiled when I got to the steering wheel, I have something similar and I'm very jealous of the paddles.

They aren't cheap but have you considered headers for a little more grunt? http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.com/Lexus-IS250-race-headers-925001.htm

6 hours ago, Neil E said:

Okay, PM sent to Global Moderator.

Just speed-read through your build thread (not just the videos and pictures.) Awesome work Robb, the car looks really good.

I smiled when I got to the steering wheel, I have something similar and I'm very jealous of the paddles.

They aren't cheap but have you considered headers for a little more grunt? http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.com/Lexus-IS250-race-headers-925001.htm

Thanks on both accounts. Hopefully a new section may come of this but i won't get too excited let me know if you get a reply. 

The steering wheel is fantastic i love it. I'll be sure you check out your work also mate. 

No never actually looked into headers i had a brief fling doing a bit of research on supercharger setups but then i found out my wife was pregnant and moved my search to roof bars and roof boxes he he

Will check out the headers. Cheers

Ok one of the mods just dropped me a PM and confirmed the admin's contact details so I have sent a message direct to the man who can make the changes, fingers crossed he will like the idea and make the new section.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dougie175 said:

Ok one of the mods just dropped me a PM and confirmed the admin's contact details so I have sent a message direct to the man who can make the changes, fingers crossed he will like the idea and make the new section.

That's good news.

• Like 1

If anyone has any other build threads that they have done in other sections or know of please let me or one of the other mods know and we'll move them over to the new section (well done Robb :-) ) 

• Like 4

Ok well I've done a bit of shameless "Build Thread" promoting tonight hopefully it may kick start a bit of interest and the rest should follow fingers crossed!