Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

(Honest! I HAVE searched a bit!)

Trying to research RX 350s (after looking at 300s) as I'm tempting myself with lpg one. What are the variants? SE/LE/SE-l.....

I'd ideally like to avoid Air suspension, if it's not obligatory.(After reading of expensive stuff on LS430s etc over the years)

Is that a choice? I may have read that SE-Ls had it? Others?

Any input welcome.

Reading that they have better mpg than the 300s is encouraging! (Like LSs getting better faster.....!)

I guess the Tax is higher on 2006-onwards cars though?

Hi Chris, I got my 350 SEL eight years ago now, it was a year old and a private sale. Much cheaper than Lexus were selling at as the guy was basically looking for a bit more than he'd get trading in against a BMW. Think i got him down to 25k due to its higher mileage.. (16K at 13 months old) now approaching its tenth birthday its at 55k. I'm sure my digging around at that time found all SEL's had the air suspension and ICE entertainment pack, (reversing cam, headrest screens, wireless earphones etc and the Levenson HI FI. I too chose the 350 for the better fuel returns which i found improved again with the change of tyres and using Esso fuel against supermarket stuff.

So far tbh the cars been pretty flawless mechanically, including the air suspension ironically till two days ago i welled it over a  3-4 yard stretch of broken road surface and pot holes and sheared the little Height sensor rod, £420 @ lexus, £200 at amayama..! You can't replace the little bar alone as its sold as a complete unit, sensor and all. 

The only issues I've had are in my eight years owning the 350 SEL

the usual foot/parking cable sticking the lack of use ( usually just left in Park and didn't bother with parking brake),

The dust covers behind the rear hubs needed replaced.

Exhaust was blowing but a S/S sleeve inserted and welded saved a fortune on a very expensive exhaust due to it having two CAT's £25 i think for the repair locally.

The Under dash rattles widely mentioned on here, 

Wearing on the outer edges of the front tyres, despite laser alignment etc,  i switched to Good Years to try and get more miles out of them than the bridgestones,

Need to keep the brake calliper pins well cleaned and lubed... tend to get sticky otherwise.

And my rear o/s height sensor, which to be fair i was told a year past that i had a seized ball joint at the bottom of the rod which i didn't tend to and probably contributed to the shearing off when hitting the potholes. 

Not sure of this is what you were after but... id say if you have some history on the car and its been looked after well enough...my experience so far withe the 350 del... has been a good one. (fingers crossed and touching wood it stays that way !!)

If theres anything else... i might be able to help with...ask away mate ! 

G

PS, re the height sensors...Lexus Glasgow don't hold them as a stock item and are a special order, so that would maybe indicate this isn't as common on the RX as maybe the LS you mentioned... maybe worth a thought if its a big part of your final decision. I do know the Air suspension is a bit firmer on city driving than the coil spring RX's , but maybe better on longer runs... my bro-inlaw has a RX 300, so its a direct comparison... but just my opinion. 

• Like 1

No point getting the air suspension, the standard car rides well enough to be honest and its one less thing to worry about.

The sticking brakes issue is due to NOT using the parking brake enough - use it regularly and it should generally be fine but make sure you keep it off when washing in winter.

• Like 1

The 350 had the same grade levels as the previous 300:

RX 350

RX 350 SE (with or without Nav)

RX 350 SE-L

Only the SE-L had air suspension.

A year later, 2007, there was a special edition model which fits in-between the base and the SE grades.

I would only get air suspension ( which I did ), IF... I had a Lexus Warranty also ( which I do ).

Otherwise the SE, is tip-top!

Car is labelled as an LE! Huh? Will have to call them. It has Navigation. Not bothered about dvd (No kids-which is why I can afford a toy like this? (-:  )

Hoping LE doesn't turn out to be SE-L by some dislexic (sic) reading!

Later addition.....Ah....Robert, thanks. I'd missed the Parker's list. There IS an LE!

lpg is prime selling point.

Thanks for the input.

Yes the LE (limited edition) was the special edition I mentioned. Sorry should have been clearer.

It has most of the features of the SE (leather, heated seats, 18" wheels and three way split folding seat). It had the option of the ML stereo / Nav upgrade and the rear ICE package. Initially only available in sliver, light blue or grey.

20 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

Car is labelled as an LE! Huh? Will have to call them. It has Navigation. Not bothered about dvd (No kids-which is why I can afford a toy like this? (-:  )

Hoping LE doesn't turn out to be SE-L by some dislexic (sic) reading!

Later addition.....Ah....Robert, thanks. I'd missed the Parker's list. There IS an LE!

lpg is prime selling point.

Thanks for the input.

I found it quite useful when I started searching so I'm sure it will come in handy for plenty of other prospective buyers.

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Simpleton question: do RXs run as full time 4X4, or 2WD drive?

As far as I know all RXs in th UK are full time 4WD. However the bulk of my (limited!) knowledge is related to the RX300.

I know there was a 2WD version in the US though so that may also be available in other markets and may have been imported into the UK.

I may be wrong, but is it less, 4WD and more AWD? But realistically most of the power is from the front?

:wacko:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PCM said:

I may be wrong, but is it less, 4WD and more AWD? But realistically most of the power is from the front?

I think that you're right. It isn't like the permanent 4WD on, for example, a LR Defender.

My bad for using the wrong terminology! :-) I should know better as I used to have a LR Defender many, many years ago! It was the perfect car for driving around London! 

I believe that when loss of traction is detected there is a transfer of up to 50% torque to the rear wheels. By all accounts it is a very good system and the transfer of torque is seamless, although I've not really had the opportunity to experience it in poor conditions yet!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PCM said:

I've just done a bit more research and now I'm confused!

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/lexus/

In the link above it states that the RX300 has a 'permanent all wheel drive system.... normally 50/50 torque distribution but up to 95% to either axle when slipping occurs'.

More research brought up various different theories as to how the system works.... A quick look through the owners manual didn't reveal anything either, which I thought was strange!

Hopefully one of the gurus on the site will be able to lay down the facts for us.

It def runs as permanent 4 wheel drive, not two wheel FWD, not ever. I had this confirmed by a friend (mechanic) who works in Lexus Glasgow.  

My car (350 SEL) feels more like a 60/40 split to the rear wheels, if you floor it, back end sinks a bit and you can spin the rears (ever so slightly) if you jab the throttle hard n quick. Not sure exactly how the snow button actually does it,  but it feels like it electronically (?) locks the diffs. In snow it makes a difference, tho to be fair the general 4x4 system has never failed me in over 8yrs of good old Scottish snow, slush and ice.  We had a really bad snow spell about eight years past, about 7 weeks of permanent snow/hard packed ice (especially on the small roads into and around my house) and even on Bridgestones, i never ever got stuck ! I was the only car that drove up its driveway every night, my neighbours X5 couldn't get up the first hill. 

If you "play" with it in snow without the "ECT snow" button selected, from memory I'm sure the rear tyres will slip first, again very slightly, ...before the other wheels starts gripping and the vehicle moves forward.  Hence re-confirming my guess its more a 60/40 split in normal driving. I had a quick look thru my manual (for the 350 SE L) and can't find anything in print defining the rear/front ratio. If anyone has a SEL reading this...remember... ALWAYS to switch the Air Suspension off (little switch right under the dash below the steering wheel, right at the pedals almost) prior to jacking or towing. If you jack it with the air suspension still active the whole car ends up sitting too high as it tries to level itself. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Samui10 said:

It def runs as permanent 4 wheel drive, not two wheel FWD, not ever. I had this confirmed by a friend (mechanic) who works in Lexus Glasgow.  

My car (350 SEL) feels more like a 60/40 split to the rear wheels, if you floor it, back end sinks a bit and you can spin the rears (ever so slightly) if you jab the throttle hard n quick. Not sure exactly how the snow button actually does it,  but it feels like it electronically (?) locks the diffs. In snow it makes a difference, tho to be fair the general 4x4 system has never failed me in over 8yrs of good old Scottish snow, slush and ice.  We had a really bad snow spell about eight years past, about 7 weeks of permanent snow/hard packed ice (especially on the small roads into and around my house) and even on Bridgestones, i never ever got stuck ! I was the only car that drove up its driveway every night, my neighbours X5 couldn't get up the first hill. 

If you "play" with it in snow without the "ECT snow" button selected, from memory I'm sure the rear tyres will slip first, again very slightly, ...before the other wheels starts gripping and the vehicle moves forward.  Hence re-confirming my guess its more a 60/40 split in normal driving. I had a quick look thru my manual (for the 350 SE L) and can't find anything in print defining the rear/front ratio. If anyone has a SEL reading this...remember... ALWAYS to switch the Air Suspension off (little switch right under the dash below the steering wheel, right at the pedals almost) prior to jacking or towing. If you jack it with the air suspension still active the whole car ends up sitting too high as it tries to level itself. 

Very interesting. thanks for that!

Perhaps the 60/40 split you perceived in practice is a result of the weight distribution of the vehicle? I'd imagine that there's a considerable amount more weight over the front axle than the rear which would aid traction on the front....unless you were carrying a load of bricks in the back! :-D

NAh...def no bricks Robert... maybe not relevant.. but i was told a while ago that Range Rovers, Landcruisers (which the RX's share some 4x4 characteristics being basically a very posh Toyota) and the older Shoguns all had 60/40 drive ratio's front to back. This was by a mechanic in my old company who serviced a fleet of Land Rovers, so i believed him lol ! Something to do with reducing potential vibration (due to torque) of front wheel drive up the steering columns...making a smoother steering. Which if you've ever driven a front wheel drive car straight after a rear wheel you notice...especially thru acceleration.... 

How much truths in that i don't know but it kinda stuck in my head... 

To confuse things even more  - sorry - I thought the AWD on a 300 worked differently to that on a 350?

3 hours ago, PCM said:

To confuse things even more  - sorry - I thought the AWD on a 300 worked differently to that on a 350?

Agree, RX300 drives more like FWD in normal conditions.

RX300 2nd gen and RX350 have exactly the same AWD system. I presume any differences in feel are down to the power differences

The snow button just starts off in 2nd gear. It won't lock the diff. I believe the 3rd gen RX350 has a locking diff which is activated by pressing the button in the middle 

• Like 1

Gents....based on Toyota  info  (with auto trans) the "ECT" button is for the Electronically Controlled Transmission and all it does is adjust the 'normal' shift points to a different RPM range. For the 4Runners it means the shift points are of a higher RPM and thus each gear is held into a higher range of torque and horsepower. Basically it controls the shift points and the torque converter lockup point to a certain degree.

This kinda makes sense based on my experience driving mine in prolonged snow, especially in the north of Scoland. For some reason its less noticeable in "non slippy" conditions, when i first got my rx350 i couldn't work out what diff it made, then when in snow...you do actually notice the feel and drive of the car changing.  

But..given the 25c here in glasgow today.... who cares...Hope everyone gets to enjoy a wee bit of sunshine wherever you are guys ! 

BTW,,,Chris,..are you still interested in the RX350 that started all of this debate... ! lol 

I also read this on here ...

"It seems with the RX350 Lexus reverted back to using a viscous coupling centre diff, as with the series I RX. The series II RX300 just relies on applying the brakes to individual corners to stop a spinning wheel."

13 hours ago, Samui10 said:

Gents....based on Toyota  info  (with auto trans) the "ECT" button is for the Electronically Controlled Transmission and all it does is adjust the 'normal' shift points to a different RPM range. For the 4Runners it means the shift points are of a higher RPM and thus each gear is held into a higher range of torque and horsepower. Basically it controls the shift points and the torque converter lockup point to a certain degree.

This kinda makes sense based on my experience driving mine in prolonged snow, especially in the north of Scoland. For some reason its less noticeable in "non slippy" conditions, when i first got my rx350 i couldn't work out what diff it made, then when in snow...you do actually notice the feel and drive of the car changing.  

But..given the 25c here in glasgow today.... who cares...Hope everyone gets to enjoy a wee bit of sunshine wherever you are guys ! 

BTW,,,Chris,..are you still interested in the RX350 that started all of this debate... ! lol 

Thanks for asking! I've been torn between two contrasting vehicles (though I don't 'Need' either one)......one was a Smart Forour 1.5 Auto (original version); the other was the lpg RX 350 ( Autotrader currently, near Bradford). But we already have a small car, so why the Smart? And I've had a Cherokee and 2 LS 400s.....(never go back?) .....and we don't go far these days.

So in the end, logic has prevailed and we're sticking with the current car (who'd ever thought I'd stick with a .....Micra! After my car history!). I'd even booked to see a Forfour locally, got money ready.....!

So I'm going to stop my obssessive searching of t'Bay and the like and try to look up and see the sky!

I think my borrowing a (2.8L?) Harrier in NZ in Jan tempted me re the RX (plus all the rave reviews of course.) Comfort and reliability a priority.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links