Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight restoration

Hi had a quick look on the forums not found a post for this,apologies if it's been asked before. Things is I have a is220d, the headlights are now going foggy/opaque. I know the headlights on this model are not the best to start with but has anybody tried restoration? Trawled the net there are plenty of kits,some abrasive some not. Anybody out there used one on their lexus? Would be pleased for some feedback as I will be attempting this myself. Just don't won't to waste money on the wrong kit.

• 4 weeks later...

I had good results with basic whitening toothpaste on a mirofiber cloth and lots of pressure whilst scrubbing in straight lines in small areas at a time.

They seem to last about 4 months before they need doing again.

Keep the surface wet with toothpaste while polishing and be patient.

(Also there is a product called plastx that does a similar job, but its far more expensive.)

4 hours ago, Carl_Freeman said:

They seem to last about 4 months before they need doing again.

I believe they need sealing after the abrasive has restored the lens.

• 2 months later...

The BBC ran a piece on toothpaste and headlights.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160511-the-minty-fresh-fix-for-foggy-headlamps

I tried non whitening basic toothpaste to clean a friend's car headlights - worked wonders. Doesn't make it new, but certainly much clearer. Can't comment on longevity as was quite recent, but (as mentioned above) people do recommend using a sealant.

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

Not sure how the one for £14 is better from one for £3-5. Unless it is tried and tested and one from eBay is definitely better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYCOTE-XUK0232-Clear-Lacquer-Aerosol/dp/B004SNLNY2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472936504&sr=1-1&keywords=lacquer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/300ml-Lacquer-Aerosol-Mean-Machine/dp/B014MSGTL4/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472936605&sr=1-3&keywords=lacquer

This one specifies UV protection as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYCOTE-XUK428-Clear-Lacquer-Aerosol/dp/B0086V45JW/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472936605&sr=1-2&keywords=lacquer

Just to note - for best results you will probably need 3-4 coats of lacquer, wet sanding and polishing. That is especially true with spray cans.

17 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Garry, what would you use to seal them?

My son did our old, his new, 53 Vectra and bought a cheap clear lacquer from Wilkos I believe, less than a fiver.

You're supposed to use a lacquer that's UV stable, three or four coats should do as Linas reports.

The whole job took him less than an hour using my orbital polisher with some 20 year old T cut.

............  somewhere there's a part of a link on the Ls400 forum

BUT in essence it is said that many car body repair shops sort out the opaque issues on headlamps by a tried and tested method that involves them in a little work and a trade kit costing about £25/30 .................... to sort both headlamps.

I might suggest you ask one of those, it's common with insurance repairs to replace just one busted headlamp setting but making the other again like " new "

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

Used a £20 kit on my car to see if it would improve these terribly poor headlights made no difference and next time I will use t-cut and seal it with polymer Car Polish, as you need a power tool and no matter how careful how much masking tape you still mark the bloody paint,

by the was I am considering putting l.e.d main and dip bulls in because the brightness of the lights around dark country roads is scarey, my owld mans 22 year old XJ40 has much much brighter lights they are H4 halogens

does any one have any experience with xneon/led bulbs I believe my bulbs are H11 dips and HB3 mains anyone confirm that ? Car is a 2006 (06) IS250 SE navigator very greatful for any input guys X

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links