Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good day all. The 12v Battery on my GS450H has decided to give up. I have looked at the Battery and noticed a number of connections and wires attached, on the left of the Battery there's the Neg terminal, vent pipe and I believe the temperature sensor, then a fused connected wire to the Battery holder bracket which leads to the back of the batt where there's a white fixing holding it. My question is, is this white fixing a plug just holding the wire in place or another connector?.  I have seen Bosch, Exide batteries on the the web stating they will fit the GS450h but the measurement seems different from the one on mine, I have roughly measured mine without taking the Battery out and there seems to be a small difference to those advertised. Has anybody else gone and changed their Battery and if so, where did you buy yours?. Thank you for reading and hope for any help, getting desperate now.

Genuine Lexus batteries are generally not badly priced, another member recently had his replaced on an LS400 with free fitting for less than £100.00 with a 4 year warranty plus a free valet and drink all you can coffee at the dealer.

Always worth a phone call.

4 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Genuine Lexus batteries are generally not badly priced, another member recently had his replaced on an LS400 with free fitting for less than £100.00 with a 4 year warranty plus a free valet and drink all you can coffee at the dealer.

Always worth a phone call.

I agree with you Steve.No point in spoiling the ship for a halfpenny of tar !

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi Philip

I too found i needed a Battery within a month of buying my car i checked with Lexus Sheffield and was dumbstruck at the price £216 but i thought well its must have lasted the 5 years so i thought i will keep it origional and when i thought about it whats the point of buying a top of range Lexus then  putting aftermarket items on it

The Guy at Lexus said it is a special type of Battery that is constantly being charged from the Traction Battery not by a alternator and  as said there as been cases were a fault on the traction Battery as not been honoured because of an aftermarket 12 v Battery

so i thought well fit me one then

that way my Lexus stays origional I Hope

Robert

17 hours ago, thewelshman said:

£218 + vat = £260 ish

It should be £235 with VAT, based on essential care prices (check Lexus website). When I asked for Battery in Lexus Woodford they quoted me £141.98 (for IS250), but later said they will honor Lexus official pricing £95. I wonder how it is different from 2007 GS? Because Battery for 2007 would be £95.

8 hours ago, KayCee said:

The Guy at Lexus said it is a special type of Battery that is constantly being charged from the Traction battery not by a alternator and  as said there as been cases were a fault on the traction battery as not been honoured because of an aftermarket 12 v battery

They just make stuff up don't they. The only thing special about it is that it isn't a common size. Whether it is charged up by an alternator or the hybrid system makes no difference. The only thing it might be is a deep cycle Battery.

Also sad that Lexus have been weaselling out of warranty claims on traction batteries. The aux Battery would have zero influence on that. The 450h traction Battery is known for having issues.

• Like 1

The GS Battery is not a deep cycle AGM Battery. It is a normal flooded lead acid Battery. Varta, and Bosch along with others make a 70 AH Battery that is the same size for circa £50 with a 4 year guarantee.

AGM (absorbed glass mat) are used where the Battery is in the passenger compartment "such as the Prius" so that in case of damage to the Battery in a collision there is no free liquid acid that may splash on to occupants. 

The only requirement is to tape or heat glue the temperature sensor from the old Panasonic Battery to the top of the replacement Battery. This sensor adjusts the charging voltage slightly dependent on Battery temperature. Most batteries are today made with one or more vent outlets.

All lead acid batteries should have Battery temperature monitoring as part of the charging system, but few vehicle manufacturers bother as it makes very little difference. 

• Like 1

I thank you all for your time and helpful info. Whichever Battery I go for I still have a question from my first post ie. a fused connected wire to the Battery holder bracket which leads to the back of the batt where there's a white fixing holding it. My question is, is this white fixing a plug just holding the wire in place or another connector?.  After reading lots of posts on this forum and a few from Lexus forum in USA, it appears that a normal 12v Battery can be used with the only mod being the removal of the temperature monitor and taping it to the new Battery, or is that white plug/connector need modding to fit?. From what I've read from the American site is that Lexus are playing the salesman bluffing game as all sales people do " their products are best ".

I  too thank you all too it seems like i was conned into paying too much for a Battery im not usually naive but maybe on this occasion i was when he fitted it he was showing me the various connections that had to be connected   (That are Not on normal Batteries) So i just said ok and bit the bullet

Robert

16 hours ago, thewelshman said:

I thank you all for your time and helpful info. Whichever battery I go for I still have a question from my first post ie. a fused connected wire to the battery holder bracket which leads to the back of the batt where there's a white fixing holding it. My question is, is this white fixing a plug just holding the wire in place or another connector?.  After reading lots of posts on this forum and a few from Lexus forum in USA, it appears that a normal 12v battery can be used with the only mod being the removal of the temperature monitor and taping it to the new battery, or is that white plug/connector need modding to fit?. From what I've read from the American site is that Lexus are playing the salesman bluffing game as all sales people do " their products are best ".

The white "fixing" is just holding the wire in place it provides no electrical connections.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/05/2016 at 9:04 PM, Britprius said:

The GS battery is not a deep cycle AGM battery. It is a normal flooded lead acid battery. Varta, and Bosch along with others make a 70 AH battery that is the same size for circa £50 with a 4 year guarantee.

AGM (absorbed glass mat) are used where the battery is in the passenger compartment "such as the Prius" so that in case of damage to the battery in a collision there is no free liquid acid that may splash on to occupants. 

The only requirement is to tape or heat glue the temperature sensor from the old Panasonic battery to the top of the replacement battery. This sensor adjusts the charging voltage slightly dependent on battery temperature. Most batteries are today made with one or more vent outlets.

All lead acid batteries should have battery temperature monitoring as part of the charging system, but few vehicle manufacturers bother as it makes very little difference. 

Absolutely 100% Correct!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links