Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front tyre scrub

So an unfortunate incident lead to a discovery, some interesting findings and a pleasant surprise. Firstly coming out of work I noted I had a rear that was looking rather flat, after the shock of thinking I was about to have to pay out for a pair of rear tyres I came to my senses checked the pressure and limped it round the corner about a mile to the kwikfit in Bromborough. I mention these by name as it was these guys that excelled. So had a puncture, they fixed it (relief).... in the process they measured up my tread depth and noted all good apart from the inside edges of the fronts, outside measured up at 5.5mm, centre 5.0mm and inside edges 3mm :wacko:. Bearing in mind at this point it 5:55pm and they shut at 6pm they said better just throw it on the Hunter alignment and check, said if its fine there will be no charge so I'm happy. Anyways all loaded up and she's absolutely on the money, square as you like. So after all this the manager said 'we've had a good day the repair is free off you go' well chuffed with that so handed them £20 to get the lads a few beers, its not often you see this sort of care and cosideration anywhere so I was totally made up with the whole thing and thought it worthy of sharing.

So back to the post title, it appears this may be common due to the soft lower control arm bushings has anyone else experience of this? I have started looking at replacements for this and strongly considering the RR-Racing USRS (ultimate steering reponse system) over the superpro push in option. I had a similar setup on my old S3 which was pretty much the same thing although called the ALK (Anti Lift Kit, it added caster and changed the front suspension kinematics) and made a world of difference to the steering feel. Anyone on here have experience of this setup on an ISF at all?

Thanks team LOC

RR-Racing link to the USRS

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower-Control-Arm-LCA-Bushing-p/isfxlca001.htm

Hi Dave, speak to Pete. He has the RR-Racing USRS's fitted to his car and it has made a world of difference. I want a set too but the shipping costs and duty to the UK is out of this world.

Thanks Arqum I know what you mean, pricing them up it comes in at about £292 delivered to UK. I actually thought about that in comparison to say having to replace tyres once instead of twice in the same time period they might be worth it. Maybe a group buy, even if its only the two of us we might knock off something in shipping costs could make them more attractive.

edit: £270.50 each if we ordered two sets, only a £22 saving but it is something

100% keen on getting these too so please count me in. Been looking at getting then for the past few weeks as braking from high speed isnt too direct. I'm sure Pete will see this and have some valuable input. Anyone know how it would work to try and get a UK company (such as Whiffbitz) to stock these? They would probably be able to get them shipped for a far better (trade) price and we could then be buying from a UK based store.

I believe the IS-F has negative camber on the rear wheels and therefore yes, it is completely normal to be having inner tyre wear on the rears. Not sure on the front though

Hi Dave, I recently had an MOT fail due to inner wear on the fronts, although the tyres had plenty of life elsewhere. Seems like it's a common problem. 

Any ideas of the fitting cost of USRS 's and if it would invalidate the Lexus warranty? 

@GibletPH Yes alignment done, checked and spot on, not even towards the outside of tolerances it sat square in the middle. Doing a little more reading it does appear to be common and watching the video on RR-Racing website you can see what everyone is talking about, the lower wishbone rear bush is soft as you like and under braking and cornering toes out the front wheels and scrubs the inside. I wonder if @Peter P18has taken any measurements across his tyres since the install of the USRS to see if they do indeed stop or reduce this scrub.

@emjay82 Fitting would be a relatively quick affair, estimate an hour or so for a decent garage (£65) plus you would need an alignment and again a decent one on a Hunter is around £70. So a little over the price of a pair of front tyres all in.

Hey Chaps, 

I have a bit of an issue with mine as well (not too sure if that's related to brushes). Every time I brake harder or go over a bumper I can hear cracking sound coming from the right front side of the car... Called Lexus and explained everything and now just waiting for their action plan. Bought the car around a month ago and don't really fancy spending a few £££ on the repair. 

Regarding the USRS I found video clip which shows the difference:

Hi Guys,

Time I chimed in on this one me thinks! Lol. :thumbup:

The RR-Racing USRS is a real game changer in terms of preventing uneven wear for your tires, and also unwelcome steering wobble under hard braking.

I really can tell the difference since I had the USRS fitted, and would recommend these to anyone. :cool:

Let me speak to Paul about where he would be willing to start stocking RR products as an official UK supplier.

With these, the AOS, Titanium intake, handheld tuner, upcoming supercharger kit, would be brilliant if we could get them to be an official supplier/UK agent. :yahoo:

Will let you know how I get on with Paul. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Pete, you are a legend. :smile: You're not heading over to the states any time soon are you? I think there are at least 3 of us that would put money down for some today, if not others I certainly would. I was close to placing the order early this week but then I heard a few others may be interested so held off. I'm keen to get my hands on some in the very near future.

Cheers Dave. :smile:

I may be heading over soon for a business trip or two. :wink3:

If not, due out at the end of July/beginning of August on holiday with the wife and son.

Not sure what my luggage allowance will be flying economy (Lol), but may be able to squeeze some things in my suitcases!

Let's see what Paul has to say about being an official supplier for RR-Racing first.

If I had more working capital, I would offer to be an agent for them myself! :cool:

That way owners could buy through me, and I could help with fitting a lot of their stuff (don't do the USRS as it really needs a lift to install those). Trouble is for me to keep a stock of their products won't be cheap. Can't see Rafi or Simon offering to send me everything free, and me repaying them when things sell somehow! Lol.

Something I may consider if Paul can't or doesn't want to do it.

Will be in touch when I know more. :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity... Are these the same bushing for IS250? While IS250 suspension is not exactly the same as ISF, I believe this "inner edge issue" is caused by the same thing. While I have no intentions for track driving and feel like USRS would be overkill for daily driving.. still much prefer to have more accurate steering (not a strong point on IS). Wonder it that would have noticeable difference on otherwise soft IS250 SEL, or it would be better to fit F-Sport sway bars first (which from my experience improves steering somehow, but not by large margin)?

When I bough mine, the inner edge wear came under advisories, but I have recently replaced all the tires and did all wheel alignment. So far (6000 miles) tires seems to be wearing evenly, but was always cautious with alignment and tire pressure. Currently, running on little bit higher than standard pressure, because from my experience on IS not only the there is more wear in inner edge, but as well more outside then in the middle of the tire.

13 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Just out of curiosity... Are these the same bushing for IS250? While IS250 suspension is not exactly the same as ISF, I believe this "inner edge issue" is caused by the same thing. While I have no intentions for track driving and feel like USRS would be overkill for daily driving.. still much prefer to have more accurate steering (not a strong point on IS). Wonder it that would have noticeable difference on otherwise soft IS250 SEL, or it would be better to fit F-Sport sway bars first (which from my experience improves steering somehow, but not by large margin)?

When I bough mine, the inner edge wear came under advisories, but I have recently replaced all the tires and did all wheel alignment. So far (6000 miles) tires seems to be wearing evenly, but was always cautious with alignment and tire pressure. Currently, running on little bit higher than standard pressure, because from my experience on IS not only the there is more wear in inner edge, but as well more outside then in the middle of the tire.

Hi Linas.

The IS-F does indeed share the same bushing as all the other IS models. This was in my opinion a huge oversight on their part, given the fact they expected the same bushes to work for a 5L V8 with 417hp! :frusty:

I doubt you would need the RR-Racing USRS on your IS250 though. It shouldn't be a heavy as the IS-F, nor should it be operating under the same conditions.

I also have the beefed up F Sport rear sway bar installed on my car, and can recommend that for more accurate steering as you already mentioned.

Have you considered running your tires on Nitrogen as opposed to normal air? I swear by the stuff. Have mine checked once a year, but so far they have NEVER needed further inflation when checked by my local KwikFit. :cool:

My tires are set at 40 PSI all round. This seems to be a good rate for even wear on the IS-F.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks for clarifying, that was my feeling as well.

My tires are nitrogen filled.... and I do recommend it as well (just for peace of mind) 38 front, 40 rear ( as oppose 35/38 recommended).

7 hours ago, DT_Racing said:

Pete, you are a legend. :smile: You're not heading over to the states any time soon are you? I think there are at least 3 of us that would put money down for some today, if not others I certainly would. I was close to placing the order early this week but then I heard a few others may be interested so held off. I'm keen to get my hands on some in the very near future.

@DT_RacingI would certainly be interested in these as long as it wouldn't effect the Lexus warranty I took out in Feb.

@Peter P18 can I ask if it affects the ride at all (firmer) or just improves the feel?

Hi Mark,

Don't see why it should affect your warranty, but best to check I guess. :thumbsup:

USRS does give a marginally firmer ride, but I offset that when I installed my BC BR coilovers with Swift springs.

The stock suspension on our early models is very firm sadly. That's why Lexus fitted softer suspension on the later models.

You will struggle to detect any extra firmness from the USRS, but you'll love the improved feel and confidence under hard cornering or braking. :cool:

Hope this helps. :smile:

9 hours ago, Peter P18 said:

Hi Mark,

Don't see why it should affect your warranty, but best to check I guess. :thumbsup:

USRS does give a marginally firmer ride, but I offset that when I installed my BC BR coilovers with Swift springs.

The stock suspension on our early models is very firm sadly. That's why Lexus fitted softer suspension on the later models.

You will struggle to detect any extra firmness from the USRS, but you'll love the improved feel and confidence under hard cornering or braking. :cool:

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks Peter, very useful information. Agreed, the car has a firm ride but this doesn't bother me and I find it acceptable compared to the other cars I have driven. I haven't got any intentions (at the moment) to upgrade the springs so want to be sure this upgrade wouldn't make the ride too harsh on the current stock setup. Will check with Lexus on the warranty. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning chaps

I am on the verge of needing new front rubber due to this issue,couple of pictures attached. I will be ordering some USRS from RR before then end of the month. I wondered if those who have expressed an interest in these might want me to put names forward to RR for a small group buy? Maybe get a few $ off and might save us a decent lump on postage. If I could get a bit more certainty on number of sets I will (maybe with the help of  @Peter P18) make an approach to RR-Racing.

Am I allowed to set up another thread for this GB anyone know?

IMG_6003.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG