Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h - difference in ride quality between SE and other models

25 minutes ago, marrat said:

This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. How can another model (F-Sport in this case) be a nosier ride? Isn't it the same car with a different body kit? I assume they use the same materials and dampening material in all models.

Wider tyres hence masses of grip but noisier.

All depends on tyres of course as well though. The F Sport can hold crazy speeds on the bends though. Went round one at 60mph and it was totally unbothered. Probably why my MPG never gets over 40mpg lol

• 2 months later...

As the OP I thought I'd let the contributors know that I've purchased a 2014 IS 300H SE on splendid 16 inch wheels. Not done many miles yet but it does soak up all but the deepest holes etc. and the ride is generally smooth, compliant and unruffled by rural roads in Somerset. And not a squeak of complaint.

There may be one drawback - that low nose which might cause problems on some of the single-track B roads I use. Seems to be a general issue because of the six or so ISs I checked before purchase, all had chamfered under-noses. But I knew that before purchase and still decided the other positive features outweighed this one.

Thanks to all for the various comments.

regards, T.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/09/2016 at 2:47 PM, Tazzman600 said:

Glad you found a car that suits you and your requirements. 

Thought I'd add that the ride in my premium is rather rough in that I feel every cats eye etc. I'm quite disappointed by it. Just 2 days ago I test drove a BMW activehybrid 3 and it's ride was sublime by comparison. I'm wondering if my car has developed a fault in its suspension. Again by comparison I test drove a new Focus ST and it's suspension /ride is superb and compliant. 

Enjoy your car T.

That is surprising to here about the Premier I think you mean.  I have the F-Sport which is on 18s also with the stock Bridgestone tyres and find it firm but not jarring.   Doesn't the Premier have the AVS suspension as standard to improve ride?  Might be worth getting your suspension and tyres checked or even the tyre pressure 

I also have a premier, and can confirm the ride is "tolerable" it could certainly not be described as "plush" unfortunately the stylists won, and fitted ridiculously large wheels and Bridgestone tyres which last forever, but have practically solid sidewalls, but I do admit the alloys do look good!

The suspension setup on our Premier is the best I've experienced in a small saloon. Certainly leagues better than the 'M' sport suspension on my old BMW, and on par with Birds B3 kit I have eventually go fitted to the BMW. Good suspension lets you feel the road, but rarely lets what you feel throw the car off course, this is exactly what our IS does perfectly.

You will have noticed when I started this thread that my interest was in the difference in 'ride quality' between different models (wheel sizes) of the IS 300h. This was because I already knew that the car ....

"is a very competent saloon. Its well-balanced chassis, revised suspension and lightweight, rigid bodyshell combine to make it very satisfying in corners as well as a comfortable, refined cruiser on motorway jaunts. And while its engine and gearbox aren't optimally suited to deliver the enthusiastic driving dynamics its bodywork promises, it is nonetheless a very characterful and attractive alternative to the diesel powered Germans with the quality and performance to match. "

Pinched the above from a magazine. This third gen. IS (2013-on in UK) has stiffer front suspension, revised new rear suspension and a much stiffer chassis compared to the previous model. It wasn't designed to hide all road imperfections, to isolate the occupants from pot-holes etc. Hence, even on my SE's 16 inch wheels, I feel cat's eyes and the road surface; on higher grade models with 17+ inch wheels these effects will be enhanced - guaranteed but to varying degree.

So my use of words like 'compliant' and 'generally smooth' and 'unruffled' relate to the IS 300H SE. I could use the same words for a Merc E class and therein lies the problem: words are relative, contextualised and horribly imprecise. The public need published accelerations (due to body movement) for all cars, then there would be a standard body of work that negates the subjective meaning of words like 'smooth'.  I expect the industry does have these data (probably not as a single collection) but why hasn't a journalist used his smart-phone with its accelerometers, while driving on a standard stretch of road, to measure and publish these deflections for all the cars he/she tests? Simple, effective, easy to understand and tabularise.

And while I'm scribbling - I find the IS 300H most fascinating component is the software. It's a clever car. For example, hit the power button and the car will usually sit there on electrical power. Engage drive (forwards or backwards) and let the car roll. It will move a few metres (maybe one) and then use the momentum of the car to start the petrol engine (if it needs to). Smart. Maybe all hybrids do this  - I don't know - but it makes me chuckle.