Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi  guys

I know your going to think "idiot", thats simple ....but being a newby to Lexus, I am not up to speed on the ways of the car.

Question one.......In order to adjust the handbrake, you obviously need the car in neutral and the handbrake off....simple you say!!...So I set the car in the aforementioned set up and try and get out of the car, the alarm starts emitting a low volume "screech" which will not stop until you either put car in park or put H/B on,........So.is there a secret to this maintenance operation ????(my previous car had special maintenance settings)

Question two.....Having put up with the noise for half an hour managed to check and adjust H/B at the wheel, but still not happy with the amount of travel at pedal, so I have searched at the pedal, and under the car(as far as I can) and cannot find any other adjustment points........are there any, if so where are they located???

Cheers

Ken

Is the travel due to air in the system, low pads is the fluid low. On my is 250 handbrake was rubbish when i took the rear hub off all the handbrake

parts were in bits. I bought new shoes but all parts were like new, Put back together and had to have them just binding. Passed mot ok and been fine

since. Adjusted by the cog in the hub. I believe they can be done underneath the car after removing the covers.

• 2 weeks later...

When I did mine, the only way I could stop the dash screaming at me was to park the car up as normal in park with the handbrake on, turn off the engine and open the door as if leaving the vehicle, then press the button next to the gear lever and put the car back into neutral and then release the handbrake. Any noise after that was stopped by closing the door. To do the brakes themselves I had to remove the wheel then I slid some large nuts I had spare down the studs and replaced the wheel nuts till they nipped up against the disc to make sure the disc was hard up against the hub flange. I had to put some spacers on the studs first as the wheel nuts alone would stop short of the disc without the thickness of the wheel itself to help it. Adjustment was straight forward through a hole in the disc once a grommet was removed by rotating  the cog mentioned by madasahatter above. I forgot which way it was rotated but it soon becomes obvious and the correct rotation was the opposite on the other side - reverse threaded. Hope this helps. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links