Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can someone confirm my knocking noise please?

Hi all. This site has been really help full and thanks 😀

Bought a 1st gen t reg for cheap.  He said it didn't need work but I knew it would. 

My problem is a loud knocking sound front front end on the right side I think. 

I have read it could be some bushes. Could be loose brake caliper. Could be shock. Could be more. 

To me it sounds like somethings loose but my friend is adamant it's the shock (shock needs replacing anyway as leaking oil) but I don't think that's the cause of the noise.

The steering seems fine.

And the noise completely goes when I brake. And I think I can feel it on the floor by the pedals  . 

Also it vibrates a little when I brake and not sure if it pulls to one side or not I'll check now.

It's like the noise of a loose drain cover. And quite loud sometimes. I'll try get a video lol.

Any ideas on what to check and how?

Also what are the jack points foraxle stands? I don't have a manual just yet.

Thanks for your help guys 😃

Sorry but what are drop links? And top mounts seem fine.

And will be checking the brakes shortly hopefully. 

How do you recommend checking ball joints and drop link.

I can't tell if it stays straight as there seems to be a little but if play in the wheel.and can't seem to stay straight.

Thanks alot 😁

The drop/sway links are connected from the strut to the anti roll bar, have a wiggle for excessive play and check the rubber on all the joints some might be perished causing play and the knocking noise. 

Would also check the steering rack and any associated bolts etc 

Thanks everyone I've managed to sort it.

The brake caliper was hanging off....

The bolt that goes in the slider bolt had come out. Trip to silverlake and sorted it in the car park. 

One slider is seized and the other spins so I cant see if top is tight just yet. Will take the wheel off on the weekend and replace with the other  sliders I got.

And replace the shock asap as it is leaking. 

I will update with my purchase soon as it is a good buy imo so far. was only 600. 177k timing belt etc at 80k  only needed front tyres and this bolt. Mot till November.  Opinions?

Pics to follow soon 😊

Thank you guys!!!!!

Aren't the cambelts supposed to be changed every 50/60k?

If its only had one cambelt at 80k, it would be overdue a cambelt change by nearly 40k. I would pop the cambelt cover off to inspect the belt to make sure its not about to go and get it booked in for one as soon as you can

Is it not 100k or 6 years  (which ever comes first) for the timing belt ? As a rule of thumb I've always changed at 100k without issues but always checked the condition of the belts. 

So looks like the belt will be up for renewal for you !

Timing belt interval was 100k miles but Lexus revised it, after many belts were getting worn/failing, to 60k miles. The cause seems to be failure in the tensioner which causes the belt to rub. Just inspect the belt to see if it is getting thinner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quite hard to guess what the knocking noise is, I have the same sort of problem, front end is just knocking when I drive at any speed. I've already had new drop links, lower ball joints and track rod ends. So i'm thinking it could be shock, bushes or top ball joints.