Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had a new set of wheels fitted yesterday and as suspected, the sensors wouldn't fit in the new wheels. Or so the guy said who tried to sell me a set of after market ones, for four hundred quid.

I thought they may break the valve stems trying to get them out anyway, so I'd already made some provisions. Having driven without TPMS for nearly fifty years, it's not something I'm likely to miss but the warning light on the dash could get to be a pain.

So here's how I sorted it. I ordered an aluminium box from eBay, drilled a 7/16 hole in the side, fitted one of the sensors in the hole and put the other three in loose. I then sealed the top with silicon sealer, screwed it down and pressurised it to 35psi and put it in the boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380809216904?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

Job done, no warning light. This may be of some use to people who have two sets of wheels. Winter/summer tyres etc.

e8ol0y.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, AmbroseJohn said:

Having driven without TPMS for nearly fifty years, it's not something I'm likely to miss but the warning light on the dash could get to be a pain.

Nice pragmatic solution. Be aware, though, that for cars registered after 1 January 2012, a faulty TPMS is an automatic MoT failure.

Unless they search the car for cheat devices, I think it would pass anyway. It's not like the system is disabled because the warning light illuminates to show the system is working, then goes out to indicate alls well.

43 minutes ago, messi said:

Hi

So you just put the box in your boot, like anywhere in the boot?

Yes. I've heard that some people have put the sensors in the spare tyre. This of course renders the spare useless.

From the AA web site which describes the MoT changes from 2012:

"Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction."

I presume that the MoT Testers' Manual will explain to testers exactly how to check for this on various types of cars.

1 hour ago, messi said:

Hi

So you just put the box in your boot, like anywhere in the boot?

Anywhere in the car I would have thought, it's a wireless signal.:whistling:

4 hours ago, Bob99 said:

How do they check this at the mot, do they just check the warning lamp. If so John's solution would be ideal

I would have thought if it appears to be working, it would be OK, after all I don't think they take your car to a test track to check your traction control. :)

Yes I got them off OK, they were a bit gritty but as long as you fiddle them back and forth, they come out. Anyway if they break off it doesn't matter, as long as the sensor remains intact.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links