Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav update/post codes

14 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

As I spent the last 15 years of my working life updating and modernising computer software (starting with the Y2K refits) I have some experience in software development and what is and is not possible. The change would be relatively simple especially as they already have working code for it in the later versions. It's a pure marketing or commercial decision.

I have spend significantly more than 15 years working in IT, and as I said above there are space limitations. The 8Gb DVD disk has to hold all the mapping metadata for Western Europe. The UK postcode address file is around 0.5Gb, so would use over 6% of that capacity to provide full post code lookup just for the UK (where 4-character partial post code is already available).

8 minutes ago, PhilipK said:

I have spend significantly more than 15 years working in IT, and as I said above there are space limitations. The 8Gb DVD disk has to hold all the mapping metadata for Western Europe. The UK postcode address file is around 0.5Gb, so would use over 6% of that capacity to provide full post code lookup just for the UK (where 4-character partial post code is already available).

I said the LAST 15 years - the previous 25 before added a bit to my experience. Storage is easily managed in numerous simple ways.. All it takes is will power and a bit of imagination but I've also learned that people who continually say something's impossible are almost always wrong in the end. 

20 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

I said the LAST 15 years - the previous 25 before added a bit to my experience. Storage is easily managed in numerous simple ways.. All it takes is will power and a bit of imagination but I've also learned that people who continually say something's impossible are almost always wrong in the end. 

Well, yes - storage can be managed, but what exactly would you suggest that Toyota should do? Issue a separate DVD (with all the additional costs involved) just for the UK? Remove some of the metadata for other countries in Western Europe so that they can fit the UK post codes on? Compress the data, with the concomitant performance impact? Issue a recall to install a hard disk based system in everybody's car?

It's not that it's impossible; it's just that it makes absolutely no commercial sense for Toyota to design and implement a new solution for the small (and decreasing) number of people who will actually purchase map updates for these car. As the cars get older, people will simply live with outdated maps, spend the money on a PND, or download an illegal copy from the dark web.

1 hour ago, PhilipK said:

Well, yes - storage can be managed, but what exactly would you suggest that Toyota should do? Issue a separate DVD (with all the additional costs involved) just for the UK? Remove some of the metadata for other countries in Western Europe so that they can fit the UK post codes on? Compress the data, with the concomitant performance impact? Issue a recall to install a hard disk based system in everybody's car?

It's not that it's impossible; it's just that it makes absolutely no commercial sense for Toyota to design and implement a new solution for the small (and decreasing) number of people who will actually purchase map updates for these car. As the cars get older, people will simply live with outdated maps, spend the money on a PND, or download an illegal copy from the dark web.

Philip, I already said it's a commercial decision not to do it. I understand that. However the map set for Europe does NOT fit on one disc now so making four (instead of three) with a reduce set if the UK full post codes are included is, quite frankly, a no-brainer. How many drivers in Finland (for example) bring their cars to the UK or vice versa. I, and I'm willing to bet, many others would trade off a few countries for an improved destination search facility. Especially as it takes lwess than five minutes to change DVDs.

I know it won't happen but simply saying it can't be done is defeatist in the extreme.

8 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Philip, I already said it's a commercial decision not to do it. I understand that. However the map set for Europe does NOT fit on one disc now so making four (instead of three) with a reduce set if the UK full post codes are included is, quite frankly, a no-brainer. How many drivers in Finland (for example) bring their cars to the UK or vice versa. I, and I'm willing to bet, many others would trade off a few countries for an improved destination search facility. Especially as it takes lwess than five minutes to change DVDs.

I know it won't happen but simply saying it can't be done is defeatist in the extreme.

I believe it can be done via third party software so it is as simple as changing the codes around a bit

Just now, rayaans said:

I believe it can be done via third party software so it is as simple as changing the codes around a bit

Got my attention - how do we get it?

I don't know where you get the idea that the map set for Europe ever fitted on a single (or even 3) disk - it has been a 4-disk set for many years now, which is why I have repeatedly referred to "Western Europe", as that is the disk within the 4-disk set which includes the UK.

As far as I know, Finland is on the North Europe map, so your argument is somewhat specious.

14 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Got my attention - how do we get it?

Sorry should have been clear - I meant the functionality of the phone not the 7 digit postcode.

Third party software in the US have tackled that so thatd be the first place to look

21 minutes ago, PhilipK said:

I don't know where you get the idea that the map set for Europe ever fitted on a single (or even 3) disk - it has been a 4-disk set for many years now, which is why I have repeatedly referred to "Western Europe", as that is the disk within the 4-disk set which includes the UK.

As far as I know, Finland is on the North Europe map, so your argument is somewhat specious.

Philip I do wish you could read & understand English before replying. Europe West is on one DVD - the one in my car and the only one I use;  the original 2006/2007 disc that came with the car has ALL of Europe on it.

I used Finland as an example - you can tell because I said "as an example" you could use any country not frequently visited by UK drivers.

Now just stop it for heavens sake - enough pedantry for one day.

14 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Sorry should have been clear - I meant the functionality of the phone not the 7 digit postcode.

Third party software in the US have tackled that so thatd be the first place to look

Ok, understood.- I'll have look round the US websites.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Philip I do wish you could read & understand English before replying.

Yup - an ad hominem attack is always so much easier than admitting you were wrong.

Then again, for somebody with a gazillion years experience in IT, you don't even appear to understand the difference between a digit and an alphanumeric character, or the difference between a single disk or a 4-disk (or was that a 3-disk?) set of maps, or that UK and Finland are contained on separate map disks...

I'll let you get back to asking Lexus for the moon on a stick for your 9 year old car.

13 minutes ago, PhilipK said:

Yup - an ad hominem attack is always so much easier than admitting you were wrong.

Then again, for somebody with a gazillion years experience in IT, you don't even appear to understand the difference between a digit and an alphanumeric character, or the difference between a single disk or a 4-disk (or was that a 3-disk?) set of maps, or that UK and Finland are contained on separate map disks...

I'll let you get back to asking Lexus for the moon on a stick for your 9 year old car.

I was not wrong, please tell me where you think I was. The number of disks (or even discs) is irrelevant once it's greater than one. I do know the difference between digits and alphanumerics but most of this audience probably doesn't and cares even less. Finland, Schminlad - get over it, just an illustration not a factual example - but then a pedant would't get that.

Oh, and what are doing trolling about in the RX forum anyway when all you have is an eight year old mini Lexus?

Yes Philip get back in your box like the nice man says.

How very dare you offer opinions when all you drive is a "Mini" :lol: Lexus. Mini Lexus FFS.

PS, I must be one of the bright ones, I know the difference between digits and alphanumeric. 

I had to open a tin of soup to do my research though.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links